DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] 2016 UPCOMING MOVIE TYPE THINGS:

RIPPA

JT is speaking as man who knows he will have to see every single one of them in the theater

My daughter is 13 years old and, for better or worse, she is into her YA Sci-Fi phase now.

I will dodge Pete's Dragon but will be squarely hit by the Greyhound bus that is Allegiant.

She dragged me to see The 5th Wave on Saturday.... The things you do for the sake of your children's happiness.....

Just speaking for myself, I'd rather see the new live action Disney movies rather than the teen dystopia movies. Granted that the lesser of two evils. . . Fortunately(or not) I don't have kids to make that decision. . . .

My lad never really liked Disney stuff at any point, and he was less into the Hunger Games than I was. He just likes Superhero movies. He wanted to go see Deadpool, but he's only 11... and whilst I might eventually buy it on DVD or BR, I think it might be one of those movies you don't watch with your children (or parents).

• Like 1

Dolfan already posted this in the other thread but I got nothing else to start this thread with

Time to bump this because it comes out this week, and it's currently sitting at 100% on RT.   63 reviews in. 

Apparently it's an insane mix of musical, comedy, furries, police procedurals, race relations, police brutality(?), and drugs(??), done as a sideways version of Animal Farm.  

Never let it be said that Disney doesn't try to swing for the fences from time to time. 

• Like 1

I didn't loathe it as much as I was expecting? My biggest concern was that it was going to be four characters with the amount of depth and subtly as The Big Bang Theory characters, with McCarthy being the worst by far. As it was, she still seems like the worst but maybe only half as bad as I was figuring? I'm sure I'll see it at some point.

Kate McKinnon's voice/purple wig was the funniest part. She's so awesome.

....am I missing something? It just seems like they tried go rapid fire and none of the bits landed.

....am I missing something? It just seems like they tried go rapid fire and none of the bits landed.

You're missing that humor is subjective?

EDIT: Sorry, that reads harsher than I meant. What I mean is that you're not missing anything, but humor is subjective and while those bits didn't land with you, they sold me. *shrugs*

You're missing that humor is subjective?

No, I am just to trying to be fair as opposed to "THIS AIN'T HAROLD RAMIS ETC. ETC.~!".

I thought you were being fair. I've also been taught to not doubt Paul Feig and I like everyone in the cast. I mean, the previews for Spy looked like dogshit and then it turned out to be a pretty good movie. 

I thought you were being fair. I've also been taught to not doubt Paul Feig and I like everyone in the cast. I mean, the previews for Spy looked like dogshit and then it turned out to be a pretty good movie. 

Based on social media, the trailer reaction is about or even more divisive as the announcement of the cast except people aren't actually able to coherently explain why it's good or bad. It's the pro feminism and SJW crowd vs. the nerd Ghostbuster fanboy crowd and everyone just wants to argue and be snarky no matter what. As a person who watched the original films and isn't super attached to the property like a lot of people, I wanted to see an assessment of the trailer that wasn't going to automatically lean into one of those categories to see if I was off base.

I spoke with a friend of mine who also didn't think it looked all that funny. He started out by calling a shit show, which was just a bunch of hyperbole that he admitted to.

For me, I like Wiig, McKinnon, Jones and I kinda like McCarthy. I liked that each one had a role that I thought was more defined that the original crew. McKinnon specializes in nuclear tech, Wiig specializes in quantum physics, etc. Similar to the original crew, just with a bit more depth. And the parts with McKinnon (purple wig, her Hader-ish voice that I love) and Jones (slapping shit out of McCarthy) made me laugh out loud. 

• Like 1

I'm pretty much into it, I really like the first Ghostbusters (2 is trash though), but don't hold it up as some sort of sacred cow that can't be touched. I love this cast and Paul Feig, but the trailer really didn't work for me. I think the end product is going to be way better than this one clip, but none of the jokes really hit. Also, why can't Leslie Jones be a scientist? I buy her more than Melissa McCarthy in glasses. I think Jones would kill in the Bill Murray role.

McCarthy is a brilliant comedic actress with impeccable timing...

Who does a lot of really fucking terrible scripts that waste her immense talents on fatty go boom humor of the worst sort.

• Like 1