DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

It's far more likely that we get four separate HHH matches. That's not a joke either. I'm trying to think of disappointing ways that WWE deals with this, and that's what I've got. 

Sheamus wins Rumble

Defends against a returning Randy Orton in a 60 minute Iron man Match

An Ironman match really is the answer, but they don't have any healthy pairing that checks all the boxes for it.

Triple-H-Sasha-Banks-vs.-Bayley-in-a-30-

Sure they do.  With everyone hurt and no clear main event, it's time to capitalize on NXT being as hot as it is.  Just have Sasha win the Divas title at the rumble and now that she's conquered all the Divas, she needs to tie up her loss to Bayley and challenge her for Mania.  The WrestleMania crowd is smart enough to be able to pull that off with just a few main roster appearances by Bayley and all those amazing video packages.  

What are the odds they try to hot shot a "New Japan Invasion" angle for Mania?

I'd say rather poor.

WCW Starrcade Buy-Rates: 

1992: 0.50

1993: 0.55

1994: 0.60

1995: 0.36

1996: 0.95

1997: 1.90

Now guess which one was promoted as a NJPW Invasion Starrcade?

Well, "promoted" is a bit of a strong word

the point about what the WWE machine can portray as a big deal when it actually wants to is a good one; nobody knew who the Shield were when they turned up. No reason a New Japan/Bullet Club invasion thing couldn't be a really hot angle, although yeah it's not gonna be the single main storyline going into WM32 or anytin

The Wyatts can't be a top faction as long as they consist of one main guy plus a bunch of other stiffs who will never be anything. They need to be seen as competent threats individually. The Horsemen weren't Flair, Randy Barber, Rocky King and Snake Brown.

Calling Harper a stiff who will never be anything is just so wrong. He's the workhorse of the group, and he absolutely could be something with any competent writers or anything resembling any kind of angle for him.

I think that's what the dude is saying. They book Harper like a stiff, so the Wyatts mean nothing outside of Bray. Not that Harper is actually a stiff. He's probably the best worker they have right now on the main roster. 

It's too bad that they shot their wad on Reigns/Bray because the Wyatts were beating the previously unbeatable Shield at nearly every turn two years ago and Reigns vs. each individual Wyatt Family member could have meant so much more than it did. We could have gotten a Luke Harper/Roman Reigns feud in the fall when they were running Reigns/Wyatt and saved Reigns/Wyatt for WM. Plus Harper/Reigns sounds like a series of awesome matches. 

I'd be down for a Balor/Bullet Club vs LON match. I'd have Balor, Joe, and AJ as the team.  You build up the Bullet Club killing every one until the Shield reunites. Rollins is going to be a massive face when he comes back anyway. In the midst of all this faction warfare I'd better get a fucking War Games match. Have it be a tribute to Dusty.

Somewhere in Chicagoland a telephone rings, the man pauses to glance at the Caller ID and chuckles. Opening another Pepsi, he turns his attention back to the matter at hand; organizing his back issues of Grendel and The Flaming Carrot. The telephone begins to ring again...

• Like 10

I think that's what the dude is saying. They book Harper like a stiff, so the Wyatts mean nothing outside of Bray. Not that Harper is actually a stiff. He's probably the best worker they have right now on the main roster. 

Yes, exactly.  It's not about their talent, it's about how they're booked.  Bray is the face of the group and the only one who has a character and booking.  The rest are faceless fodder.  Might as well team Wyatt with Thunderfoots 3 - 6.  My point was to dispute the assertion that they are or could be a high-level faction, which will never come to fruition as long as they're just "Bray and those other guys."  They're the No Doubt of wrestling.

What are the odds they try to hot shot a "New Japan Invasion" angle for Mania?

I'd say rather poor.

WCW Starrcade Buy-Rates: 

1992: 0.50

1993: 0.55

1994: 0.60

1995: 0.36

1996: 0.95

1997: 1.90

Now guess which one was promoted as a NJPW Invasion Starrcade?

Well, "promoted" is a bit of a strong word

the point about what the WWE machine can portray as a big deal when it actually wants to is a good one; nobody knew who the Shield were when they turned up. No reason a New Japan/Bullet Club invasion thing couldn't be a really hot angle, although yeah it's not gonna be the single main storyline going into WM32 or anytin

They had NJPW guys on WCWSN, had a big angle of Bobby Heenan selling WCW to Sonny Onoo and a lengthy commercial for it that seemed to run around the clock on PPV Preview channels back then.  They promoted it pretty highly, put it on the traditional biggest show of the year and people still said "I don't know these guys, no Hogan, I'm not buying".

And there's no way WWE would ever book an outside company as strong (WCW Invasion, anyone?).  Heck, you just need to go back and flip through Mick Foley's 1st book where he talks about doing a feud with him and Vader based off their past history and Vince was against acknowledging it because he doesn't like to talk about things outside WWE.  There's no way he's going to do an invasion angle of guys from another company.  The only way WWE ever does another invasion angle, is if it's in NXT, or it is NXT invading.

I think I know what has to happen but absolutely no one is going to like it:

Short version: Trips enters himself into the Rumble, wins in a screwy fashion, Roman runs a one-month gauntlet culminating with a win at Fastlane, setting up a match up where Roman is trying to get his title back from someone who he lost it from but not *really*, and so that way if they want it to be Trip-Roman at Mania, you've done so without actually putting them in a match until then.

It wouldn't be my first choice of a matchup, but that would be the means to the end they want. And yes, it's been done before, but they're running out of viable big match options.

Roman defending against Rock, HHH, Brock, or Undertaker, or for that matter, anyone else who is retired or semi-retired, sounds awful. Zero interest.

That Ambrose fantasy booking up there sounds like a much better plan. It would take a bit of forethought and care to book two guys into that sort of top-level positioning, but they could do it and then have two guys who can carry the load in the absence of Cena, Lesnar, etc. 

I love watching Brock rough dudes up, but I just want him away from the title and away from Undertaker, Rock, or HHH. Of course, the guys I'd like to see Brock wrestle (Rusev, Harper, Big E) are nowhere near the position they'd need to be in to credibly have that match, but maybe I'll wake up tomorrow and the company will decide to actually push some fresher guys properly so they can create interesting matchups between them and the old guard. 

They seem bound and determined to do Reigns/Lesnar II at Mania this year, and while I'd much rather them do Lesnar against Russev or Owens, that doesn't appear to be in the cards.  Also, at last year's Mania, the crowd was solidly supporting (or at least not excessively booing) Reigns when he showed he could hang with Brock in what was a match better than most people had thought.  We're all doing our fantasy booking here, so my turn-

Rumble-

-Del Rio drops title to Kalisto

-Samoa Joe wins a battle royale at NXT to earn a spot in the Rumble

-AJ Styles debuts, he and Joe are among the final participants in the Rumble and one eliminates the other to set up a program

-Reigns has a good showing, but is eliminated due to some Authority fuckery

Fastlane/afterwards-

-Reigns vs HHH: if Roman wins, he gets a shot at the title at Mania, if he loses, he's fired

-Owens and Ambrose blow off their feud, who wins doesn't really matter as long as both look good in the process

-Having failed to take out Reigns, HHH starts to screw with his buddy Ambrose, but forgets how crazy Ambrose is.  Each attempt to make things hard for Ambrose just ends with him doing some wacky shenanigans and getting the best of them.  He goes after HHH with the sledgehammer or some such thing, which leads to them booking a NHB match against eachother.

-After the feud with Ambrose, Owens does pretty much the same thing Punk did a few years back and calls out Taker, saying he's the biggest prize of all, blah blah blah.  We get a couple staredowns with Owens acting nonplussed about any mind games Taker tries to play.  Best case we get redneck American Badass Taker back

-Sami comes back and gets involved in the US title picture as he was so close to winning it from Cena when he got hurt

-The segment on Raw a few weeks back that lead to the Gang Warz! match started out between the Wyatts and the LON and honestly felt really special.  Not as good as the Wyatts/Shield segments leading up to their matches, but in that ballpark.  Keep the two factions apart until this time, but have guys on both ends look dominant.  Then you can essentially re-do the encounter, but this time have it lead up to something that's not a first hour blowoff.

-At some point, The Rock comes back to be in the corners of his Samoan brethren The Usos and we get some amusing banter between he and New Day.

Mania-

-Andre Battle Royale

-Divas Title Match - Becky/Charlotte/Sasha (Paige maybe) match for divas title

-US Title Match - Kalisto vs Sami Zane (maybe add Neville to the mix)

-Tag Title Match - Usos w/The Rock vs New Day

-HHH vs Ambrose, Texas Death Match *

-Samoa Joe vs AJ Styles

-League of Nations vs The Wyatts

-Owens vs Taker *

-Reigns vs Lesnar, Austin as guest ref.  Someone (Heyman maybe) can eat a stunner when they try to interfere

*Either Owens or Ambrose is IC champ, either match can be for the title and it works each way

Finn can drop the NXT title on the pre-Mania Takeover, and on the post-Mania Raw you can have him getting called up and the Bullet Club debuting.

Somewhere in Chicagoland a telephone rings, the man pauses to glance at the Caller ID and chuckles. Opening another Pepsi, he turns his attention back to the matter at hand; being super bitter about his very successful former careerThe telephone begins to ring again...

Just a minor edit. 

• Like 1