DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

With Comcast in my area at least, they offer both El Rey and AXS on-demand stuff even if you don't have the package with those networks.

I wish Cablevision offered them, or Comet or Pop.

Eddie just a heads up, I have Cablevision as well, and have a placeholder channel that says Pop is coming soon. I'm not sure where you live or what your lineup is so just poke around for it.

With Comcast in my area at least, they offer both El Rey and AXS on-demand stuff even if you don't have the package with those networks.

I wish Cablevision offered them, or Comet or Pop.

Eddie just a heads up, I have Cablevision as well, and have a placeholder channel that says Pop is coming soon. I'm not sure where you live or what your lineup is so just poke around for it.
I'm in Central Jersey (Middlesex county)

Reigns survives the Rumble, keeps the title.

Lesnar wrestles Reigns at Fastlane (since he's booked for that show now); Reigns goes over in some fashion (maybe misfiring Authority interference.)

Hunter says "Fuck this, I'll do it myself..." and main events WrestleMania against Reigns in a Three Stages of Hell match. Take into account the between-falls lulls as they set up the cage, etc, and that eats up a chunk of time comparable to a 60-minute iron man without needing either of them to actually go out and wrestle for 60 minutes straight.

Note that I'm not saying this is a good way to do it (I know a lot of people are convinced Reigns/Lesnar II will happen at Mania), but it's a way.

Add a US title match, Intercontinental title match, tag title match, and Diva's title match.

The Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal.

Big Show vs. Braun Strowman.

Filling out time isn't an issue. Filling up the arena is.

Brock vs Nakamura FTW

They desperately need Bryan on the show at this point. I don't think Taker has a credible opponent now. Too bad they killed Sting trying to have him do a bunch of crazy shit with Rollins.

• Like 1

In what world was Punk held back? 

He wasn't. However, the storyline they ran is that he was held back by Vince and HHH, making them the heels in the feud. Then, they ran themselves as heels in the Bryan feud. Their meta-booked storylines about preferring their chosen one over the guys the hardcores wanted to be the champion sort of bit them in the ass when they conflated reality with fantasy enough that now the crowd rejects guys who they perceive as getting a push because the heel management wants to force that guy to the top.

So when a vocal part of the crowd shits on Reigns for seemingly no reason, they're doing that because they perceive management as the heels and Reigns as heel-by-proxy, and it's hard to blame them since the company itself blurred the lines between what happens on-screen and what happens in a booking meeting. 

• Like 1

For those that keep wondering how this is going to affect ticket sales, officially the show is almost sold out as it is, and what's left on Ticketmaster is mainly obstructed-view behind-the-stage seats. WWE is already pocketing almost all the ticket money they could possibly make off Mania this year.

Now, the 10,000 or so tickets that are on StubHub and other ticket re-sellers, that's another story. I'd imagine THOSE guys that gobbled up tickets on day one and immediately put them on the re-sale sites and haven't been able to sell them yet will get really nervous when word of the injury gets out beyond the hardcore wrestling fan websites.

He wasn't. However, the storyline they ran is that he was held back by Vince and HHH, making them the heels in the feud. Then, they ran themselves as heels in the Bryan feud. Their meta-booked storylines about preferring their chosen one over the guys the hardcores wanted to be the champion sort of bit them in the ass when they conflated reality with fantasy enough that now the crowd rejects guys who they perceive as getting a push because the heel management wants to force that guy to the top.

So when a vocal part of the crowd shits on Reigns for seemingly no reason, they're doing that because they perceive management as the heels and Reigns as heel-by-proxy, and it's hard to blame them since the company itself blurred the lines between what happens on-screen and what happens in a booking meeting. 

I get what you're saying, but Roman is such a strange case because fans online and live were definitely into him big time from the start up until the Shield breakup when they realized he was actually going to get that push to the top. It was obvious from the start that Roman was going to be a top guy when Shield was done. I remember pretty much every board saying he was going to be WWE champ just based on his 2 or 3 NXT appearances. He was the most over member of the team for most of the time, people enjoyed his spots and his promos.

The "Fuck Roman" stuff really picked up steam after Punk's podcast with Cabana (which I just watched the episode of Maron that both of them were on...what a strange world and time) and then hit critical mass when Bryan came back but fans realized he wasn't going to get put back into the top slot. It's not like he was a guy that fans hated and resented from the start.

In general, the meta angle stuff has certainly run its course for me, but it seems the whole company is geared towards that now, including the podcasts/Breaking Ground/24/NXT video packages. On the other hand, without it we never would have been blessed with the HHH burial video in the lead up to WM 30.

This is a really interesting point I hadn't thought of before.

I get what you're saying, but Roman is such a strange case because fans online and live were definitely into him big time from the start up until the Shield breakup when they realized he was actually going to get that push to the top. It was obvious from the start that Roman was going to be a top guy when Shield was done. I remember pretty much every board saying he was going to be WWE champ just based on his 2 or 3 NXT appearances. He was the most over member of the team for most of the time, people enjoyed his spots and his promos.

The "Fuck Roman" stuff really picked up steam after Punk's podcast with Cabana (which I just watched the episode of Maron that both of them were on...what a strange world and time) and then hit critical mass when Bryan came back but fans realized he wasn't going to get put back into the top slot. It's not like he was a guy that fans hated and resented from the start.

Let's also say the way they booked that Rumble did not do Reigns anything resembling a favor. How poorly last years Rumble was booked regardless of who was going to win it was bordering on incredible. Kane and Big Show tossing out all of the interesting acts people were invested in, Bryan getting tossed like nothing, generally nothing at all exciting happening for a 45 minute match? Last years Rumble, top to bottom, had to be the worst booked ever.

• Like 1

I suppose they could fast track the Balor Club or something like that, bring up Zayn, maybe bring up Samoa Joe.  That doesn't do anything for the main event but it fills out the card.

This was gonna be my unrealistic suggestion. Balor, Corbin, and AJ/Joe as the tag team. Have them show up and take all the titles and beat up HHH. Get the authority off tv and still have a top heel stable. I know the League of Nations is right there, but let's face it, that never had a chance as a top act. Just have the Balor club demolish them while they're at it, and maybe we could finally get a face run for Rusev.

Let's also say the way they booked that Rumble did not do Reigns anything resembling a favor. How poorly last years Rumble was booked regardless of who was going to win it was bordering on incredible. Kane and Big Show tossing out all of the interesting acts people were invested in, Bryan getting tossed like nothing, generally nothing at all exciting happening for a 45 minute match? Last years Rumble, top to bottom, had to be the worst booked ever.

It wasn't the most interesting, but I get the idea behind it. It was an attempt to transfer the heat Roman was getting on to Kane/Show, and then have the crowd be on Roman's side when he eliminated them. Philly was just not going to cooperate on that night, but it made the title win on Raw way better when they were chanting "You deserve it" and, ironically, "YES YES YES" for him in the same city. They basically did the same thing with Vince on that show and it worked completely.

I suppose they could fast track the Balor Club or something like that, bring up Zayn, maybe bring up Samoa Joe.  That doesn't do anything for the main event but it fills out the card.

This was gonna be my unrealistic suggestion. Balor, Corbin, and AJ/Joe as the tag team. Have them show up and take all the titles and beat up HHH. Get the authority off tv and still have a top heel stable. I know the League of Nations is right there, but let's face it, that never had a chance as a top act. Just have the Balor club demolish them while they're at it, and maybe we could finally get a face run for Rusev.

The Authority are barely on TV as it is. Before the last 2-3 weeks, they were either not on the show at all or in 30 second backstage things for most of the last 6 months. It hasn't stopped people from complaining about them, but they've been basically nonexistent for months now. IF they are involved in angles, it's almost always been Steph since like...June.

What? Vince has been acting on their behalf for the last two weeks, and Steph's been all over tv too. I'll give you that HHH hasn't been seen since TLC, but he was instrumental in the Sheamus cash-in as well as the genesis of the anti-Roman angle, and both he and Steph were always around when Rollins had the strap with their motivational speeches and whatnot. Even DoO Kane has only been gone since HIAC, and HHH/Steph were both in the middle of that feud too.

CHmBhqM.gif

While I'm not taking pleasure in other people's misfortunes, I do enjoy when something like this happens. I honestly cannot wait to see how things turn out leading up to and at Mania. This makes the New Japan 4 debut easier to do, than with a full roster. Not to mention the elevation of well-deserved wrestlers.

• Like 1

Because that's when it became apparent they were going all the way with his push. Reigns was out for a few months before that so he wasn't even around to get backlash.

Part of the problem was how over Ambrose was in his absence and the fact that they didn't strap the rocket to him.

To my recollection, the Roman backlash really began after that totally paint by numbers, rather dull match against Orton at SummerSlam.

I don't remember the Roman backlash truly hitting to a noticable degree until the Rumble.

You're both right. It was starting not long after the Shield breakup when he was getting shoehorned into the multiman title matches while Rollins and Ambrose were put on the back burner (only temporarily in Rollins' case). Then he was hurt from September-December 2014 which allowed the heat to die down, otherwise he probably would've been in Dolph's spot at Survivor Series. The horribly-booked Rumble is what pushed everything over the edge, and is the main reason it's been an uphill struggle to book him ever since.