DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Well, I'll probably go back and watch it over the next couple weeks but it felt like Reigns had the crowd behind him that night once they realized Bryan wasn't coming out. With that said, I do agree that it could have just been "anyone but Batista" support.

However, Roman Reigns was red hot at that time and I think if they had pulled the trigger on him then he'd be in a much better position than he was this past year and even now.

According to PWInsider and confirmed on the F4W board by Alvarez, John Cena is undergoing surgery tomorrow for a torn rotator cuff and will miss WrestleMania.

Didn't expect to wake up to this news. Big blow for WWE. John Cena has come back from injuries quickly before most famously from the pectorial muscle tear in three months to win the 2008 Royal Rumble match. Cena can't recover that quickly again, can he? I was hoping this WrestleMania would finally see The Undertaker against John Cena, I've wanted this match for ages. The match would have meant more with The Streak alive but it still matters. Now to go back and catch up on the pages I haven't read.

Wrestlers out:

John Cena

Daniel Bryan

Cesaro

Seth Rollins

Randy Orton

Sting

Tyson Kidd

Well, if this is true, I can't even imagine what Wrestlemania will look like.

I'm wondering what amount of money Vince McMahon would be willing to pay the Rock to get him to wrestle at Wrestlemania at this point.

I could see something like this:

Reigns vs HHH (Reigns wins and Authority is gone. HHH wins and Reigns joins the Authority)

Rock vs Undertaker with Austin as ref (appeal to Attitude era fans)

Lesnar vs Wyatt (have Wyatts attack Lesnar on Raw or something to set it up)

Zayn vs Owens IC title ladder match (Owens wins the title sometime in February)

Ambrose vs Jericho

US title Del Rio vs Kalisto vs Neville vs Styles

New Day vs Usos tag titles

NXT title match Balor vs Joe vs Itami (if he's back by then)

Divas title match Charlotte vs Lynch vs Paige vs Banks

Andre Battle Royal 

Goldust, Henry, Prime Time Players, Ryback, Show, Kane, Ascension, Stardust, Social Outcasts, Breeze, Ryder, Wyatts, Ziggler, Nakamura, Anderson, Gallows, some NXT guys or legends to fill it up to 30 

Who is out there that's a former star that can still physically do something, isn't a pariah, is a free agent, and would take the payday? Because all I've got is Meng or Duggan. Who weren't really at that Hogan/ Savage/ Flair level of over-ness.

I read a rumor a couple of weeks ago, that they wanted to sign Goldberg, but Goldberg only wanted to have a one-off match and they wanted him on a 6-month contract.

I have doubts there was any truth to that rumor at all, but at this point? Yeah, they'll take Goldberg.

It's also cute how you guys are like "God - we need to think of 9 matches to fill time!"

It just means that the concert will last 45 minutes now

The Hall of Fame people will get more than 2 minutes

And I am sure Rousey will come out for a 20 minute segment against Steph

It also means more commercials for the Network

• Like 4

Just really elaborate entrances...for everyone.

The usos get the new zealand rugby team - because vince thinks they both do the same haka.

Bayley hugs everyone in the arena. Sasha gets a motorcade.

Triple H gets Conor McGregor, Justin Bieber and what's left of Ric Flairs dignity to carry him out on a golden platter.

Dusty and goldust come out on a giant polka dot.

Those sorts of things...

• Like 1

Now is the time they just throw the format out the window and Just Try Shit. Why not? The crowds are dead, the ratings are down. Fuck it, pull a 1997 and just put fucking whatever on. Some of it will be shit, probably lots of it, but nobody remembers Cornette's Corner or Jeff Jarrett in the Mr. Perfect singlet. They remember the Rock. They remember Austin. They remember the gun angle. Do enough counterintuitive shit and something will hit.

It's also cute how you guys are like "God - we need to think of 9 matches to fill time!"

What concert?

What concert?

pitbull.png?w=446&h=299&crop=1

• Like 5

So, due to an absolute inability or disinterest in building anyone past the usual suspects, the biggest wrestling company in the world must now THROW money at retired 45 and 50 year olds to TRY and save their biggest show of the year? Look, Vinnie Mac can do what he wants but how much more of a wake up call does this company need?

• Like 1

This is what happens when short sighted booking meets Greek-god level hubris. I gotta be honest. Speaking as someone who saw the attitude era from beginning to end, I have ZERO interesting in seeing the Rock, Austin, Taker, or Goldberg wrestle ever again. I'm aware I'm not the target demo but how much more mileage can this company realistically expect to beat out of dead horses?

• Like 3

The fan's erosion of confidence in the program began around that WM 30 program where they basically had to force the WWE's hand to put Bryan in that match. But it's not just one thing, it's everything. Case in point: Cesaro.

He wins the Andre battle royal at WM 30 and is over as fuck. Anybody can watch and see that with the right push, the dude could be mega over. The fans want it, why not try? Nope. I remember they gave him Heyman as a manager but it was all for other shit. Whatever. I remember reading the conversation put him against Cena now/He's not over enough, and Alvarez commenting that "it's as over as he ever will be". He was right and that's depressing.

Same shit with Ambrose too.

• Like 2

You know, there really should have been a Rusev/Roman program headlining shit. They were the final two in the battle royal that got Roman his first title shot at MITB, then the last two in the Rumble. It seemed like there was something being built with them but it didn't happen. Which is sad, because both guys are very dope in the ring, and Rusev is wonderful on the mic as well.

• Like 1

Clearly they need to push dudes who don't lift weights so fucking much.  Owens vs Beer City Bruiser vs Bull Dempsey vs Dave Mastiff for Mania.

Seriously, though, these guys need to chill a bit on the lifting, especially lifting heavy and fixed-plane shit like benching, as they get older.  It's no surprise that Cena & Cesaro's rotator cuffs both went out in their mid/late 30s.  Shit, they probably do their lat pulldowns behind the neck, too.  :blink:

Clearly they need to push dudes who don't lift weights so fucking much.  Owens vs Beer City Bruiser vs Bull Dempsey vs Dave Mastiff for Mania.

I'd buy a ticket to see Dempsey vs. Mastiff before I'd watch Roman vs. anyone on free tv.  Just saying.  I don't even dislike Roman.  Just not that interested in his run.

Everyone saying WWE needs to do this or that or sign this guy or that guy is funny to me because deep down, I think you all know that WWE doesn't need to do shit and they're not going to do shit. No one is getting hot shotted or brought up. No one is going to get signed. It's just going to be business as usual because tickets are already sold and the fucking thing is on the Network. Even if it's not a total sellout, they'll just paper the fuckin' thing to fill out the rest of the seats.

The camera will still focus on celebrities (Maria Menounos, Shaq, Vin Diesel, whatever) throughout the show to make it appear that wrestling is hip and cool, a musical act will play...actually, just go and read Rippa's post again.

What's most annoying to me is just how much this company ignores past mistakes. Once again they're in a position where top stars didn't give the rub to newer stars or help to build a foundation for the future. Perhaps if Orton put someone over, or maybe if they had John Cena put over Rusev or Wyatt or Owens or whoever, they would have someone to make money off of AFTER WrestleMania, when all of this shit really matters.

What happens at WrestleMania is irrelevant, unless Reigns AND Brock AND someone else whose name I'm forgetting all go down with an injury too. Does everyone forget about last year's WrestleMania? How much did we shit on that show only to be MORE than pleasantly surprised at how good of a show it was? That was a WrestleMania where on paper, it looked like a disaster, and then in practice, it turned out to be an excellent WrestleMania. I suspect this year will be more of the same. We'll all grouse about how the main event is totally predictable (Reigns vs Brock, and then the match started, turned out to be fucking awesome, and had a nuclear hot finish), how the guy who should be a top star is put into a shit position (Bryan in the TLC IC title match, which was a great way to start the show and take the focus off of Bryan), and how nothing interesting is on there (until the Rock and Ronda Rousey have a segment with HHH and Steph). If I could think of any huge miss or blunder from last year, it was Rusev losing to Cena.

It's all a futile exercise, isn't it? You'd all make fabulous Cubs fans. We think WrestleMania is going to be shit, how WWE is fucked, how there's no stars, and on and on and on and yet, WrestleMania turns out to be good, the WWE survives down periods and trips into making new stars (Cena springs to mind even if you want to bring up HHH losing to him), and it turns out, WWE unfucks themselves. They'll do just well enough to not lose TV, even taking a really shitty deal to not lose TV (that would be the TV deal before the current one, or maybe the one before that).

WWE's slogan in 2016 should just be "It is what it is" because that pointless goddamn expression describes WWE to a T, and we'll all keep following along. Even people who supposedly don't watch the damn thing for 13 years will still follow along by reading recaps or whatever.

• Like 2