DVDVR Message Board

2016 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

It is an interesting theory. Does he still own the work? If I buy a painting and some website shows it without permission and makes some profit somehow, wouldn't I be the one suing them? I'd think once an artist sells something to someone they lose those rights.

He still owns the rights to the artwork. LeBron, essentially, bought a copy of that artwork to put on himself. The artist still owns it.

That's weird. Not saying you're wrong, I don't think you are, but still, it's weird.

Remember the dude who did Tyson's face tattoo sued when the Hangover 2 put it on Ed Helms face - they settled out of court but the judge commented that the guy suing had a decent chance of winning

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2011/06/21/mystery-settlement-in-hangover-2-tattoo-lawsuit/

EDIT - One key thing to point out - the guy who did the Tyson's tattoo actually registered the design for copyright. I don't know if Lebron's guy did. That would be a huge difference

Downwell finally came out on Android, so I bought it because of all the praise. It's really good as a shmup with minor platforming elements. The levels are bite-sized enough that it is easy to play and pick up. It was well worth the three dollars that I paid for it. 

Hmmm can a person (rich person) pay extra to buy the rights? I mean that implies if LeBron had a t-shirt made and sold that he would have to pay rights to all his tattoo artists if the tattoo is visible on the shirt. Just sounds like a slippery slope, doesn't it?

I get my XBone tomorrow. Can't wait to try out Assassin's Creed: Syndicate, Gears of War: Ultimate Edition, and Forza Horizons 2. 

Haven't ever played Gears or Forza games. Haven't played any Assassin's games since two. Excited about trying them out and cannot wait to get my hands on Witcher 3. 

Make sure you play Gears with someone. They are okay games in single-player and GREAT games in co-op. I burned a ton of hours in Horde mode in the second one, but the campaigns are so much more fun with two people in the game talking tactics, covering for one another, etc. 

I was taking some library books back, thought I'd look on the shelves to see if there was anything worth borrowing, and there it was:

Mass Effect: Ascension.

If it's any good, it's probably going to get me playing the series again, isn't it?

Hmmm can a person (rich person) pay extra to buy the rights? I mean that implies if LeBron had a t-shirt made and sold that he would have to pay rights to all his tattoo artists if the tattoo is visible on the shirt. Just sounds like a slippery slope, doesn't it?

Yes, a rich person can buy the rights of the artist is willing to sell.

As for the shirt example, it would probably depend on how much tattoo is visible.

Remember the dude who did Tyson's face tattoo sued when the Hangover 2 put it on Ed Helms face - they settled out of court but the judge commented that the guy suing had a decent chance of winning

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2011/06/21/mystery-settlement-in-hangover-2-tattoo-lawsuit/

EDIT - One key thing to point out - the guy who did the Tyson's tattoo actually registered the design for copyright. I don't know if Lebron's guy did. That would be a huge difference

Not really. You don't have to register your copyright. It's automatically there as soon as you create your work. It does, however, make it a little easier to sue if you actually might have difficulty proving you have a copyright. This guy, barring an agreement with LeBron turning up, won't have any trouble doing that.

I get my XBone tomorrow. Can't wait to try out Assassin's Creed: Syndicate, Gears of War: Ultimate Edition, and Forza Horizons 2.

Haven't ever played Gears or Forza games. Haven't played any Assassin's games since two. Excited about trying them out and cannot wait to get my hands on Witcher 3.

All three of the next gen AC games - yes, even Unity - are very good. Syndicate is great, as is Black Flag.

I was taking some library books back, thought I'd look on the shelves to see if there was anything worth borrowing, and there it was:

Mass Effect: Ascension.

If it's any good, it's probably going to get me playing the series again, isn't it?

Decent chance - especially because that book (and the first one Revelation) give more back story for some of the side characters

Just don't read the third or fourth Mass Effect books

Not really. You don't have to register your copyright. It's automatically there as soon as you create your work. It does, however, make it a little easier to sue if you actually might have difficulty proving you have a copyright. This guy, barring an agreement with LeBron turning up, won't have any trouble doing that.

And yet, in WWE games, Undertaker's tattoos look like Undertaker's tattoos. CM Punk's tattoos look like CM Punk's tattoos, except for the Pepsi logo and that GI Joe thing.

And yet, in WWE games, Undertaker's tattoos look like Undertaker's tattoos. CM Punk's tattoos look like CM Punk's tattoos, except for the Pepsi logo and that GI Joe thing.

I believe that's more due to the WWE's habit of trademarking every atom of the guys.

Dota may have the worst and most abusive community.

Not only that, but 9/10 of people playing are people seemingly new to Dota or they just aren't godlike. If you aren't godlike, you get your teammates telling both teams to report you for sucking, basically. And then you receive your "report" and see that others have negatively reported you, all because you weren't some pro-level esport gamer. It's fucking stupid.

The Destiny community at Bungie may be the greatest collection of mouth breathing retards in the world.

Try playing a wrestling game or GTA Online sometime

I can kinda let the toxicity slide a bit with GTA Online since 99% of the game is PvP competitive and your fun comes at someone else's expense.

Dota may have the worst and most abusive community.

Not only that, but 9/10 of people playing are people seemingly new to Dota or they just aren't godlike. If you aren't godlike, you get your teammates telling both teams to report you for sucking, basically. And then you receive your "report" and see that others have negatively reported you, all because you weren't some pro-level esport gamer. It's fucking stupid.

The Destiny community at Bungie may be the greatest collection of mouth breathing retards in the world.

Try playing a wrestling game or GTA Online sometime

I can kinda let the toxicity slide a bit with GTA Online since 99% of the game is PvP competitive and your fun comes at someone else's expense.

I quit on Destiny after I tried a few raids with other people. I got tired of hearing people yelling at me b/c I hadn't gone on youtube and figured out how to do the mission beforehand.

I can't even remember the last time I used a headset when gaming with strangers online.  I'll use it with my friends, but I play games for fun.  There is nothing fun about getting called a racial slur by someone who hasn't started puberty.

• Like 1

I can't even remember the last time I used a headset when gaming with strangers online.  I'll use it with my friends, but I play games for fun.  There is nothing fun about getting called a racial slur by someone who hasn't started puberty.

Communication is a powerful tool in large team PvP especially in objective-heavy game modes where pure murder does not always give you victory, but I don't enter general chat with randoms. 

Coordinating with the one or more friends I'm rolling with is usually enough.

In re GTA Online, the one thing the DVDVR Mafia taught me it is that the bigger your mean streak is, the better.  We would always find the biggest bully in the game and then do some bullying of our own.  Nothing feels better in GTA Online than chasing another crew off of the server, unless it has something to do with strategically placed explosive devices.  

I was an ignition bomb troll king with few peers back in the day.  I would always "allow" another player to take the Simeon car from me and then watch him blow himself up and get credit for the kill.  One guy was so enraged that he sent me a PM and wished that my kid would get polio and that my mother would drink bleach and die. 

GTA Online is the only game where I felt that getting Hate Mail was complimentary.