DVDVR Message Board

2016 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

The MK style story mode isn't coming until the summer, I think. These are just preludes or whatever.

Anyway, after a few matches, I'm really pleasantly surprised with how smooth the cross platform play is thus far. 

Wow. Ok. So that stupid Lupe Fiasco vs Daigo fight happened. From what I and others can tell, Daigo threw the fight, but Madcatz and others are treating this as some legit thing. Lupe wasn't even playing at a high level. This is the carniest thing I've ever seen in the video game world.

I can't begin to tell you how happy I am to have no idea what you are talking about.

• Like 4

Wow. Ok. So that stupid Lupe Fiasco vs Daigo fight happened. From what I and others can tell, Daigo threw the fight, but Madcatz and others are treating this as some legit thing. Lupe wasn't even playing at a high level. This is the carniest thing I've ever seen in the video game world.

I know for a fact someone in the music industry had a special streaming event of a game launch and had an intern playing for them offscreen while they held a dummy controller and pretended to play (my friend was filming it)

That's probably worse

I mean this in the sweetest way possible, but anyone that purchases a game at full price with significant modes missing from it is no longer allowed to complain about makers releasing unfinished games. It is y'alls fault they keep doing it. That is all.  ;)  

• Like 5

Turbine has managed to fuck up it's second "server move", first for Asheron's Call, now for Lord of the Rings: Online. Since my computer is older and can't handle most of the newer MMOs, I'm going to give Star Wars: The Old Republic a spin, see if I can get into it.

Other than being completely confused about how "crafting" works, I'm in. I've got a Jedi Knight and a Trooper running around a bit. The story is as good as you'd expect from BioWare. I've allowed myself a three month subscription to see how well it keeps going past the intro levels.

• Like 1

Charlie with QCF and SRK moves instead of charges feels profoundly wrong, but I think that's on purpose.

It occurs to me that Amazon Prime is the only reason I didn't sit on this til the summer--I could get it now for $48 and be annoyed at the limited single player options, or I could get it in June and probably pay $60.  So their new policies are actively encouraging buyers to support "patch it later" releases over rational behavior.  (And I fell for it.)

Turbine has managed to fuck up it's second "server move", first for Asheron's Call, now for Lord of the Rings: Online. Since my computer is older and can't handle most of the newer MMOs, I'm going to give Star Wars: The Old Republic a spin, see if I can get into it.

Other than being completely confused about how "crafting" works, I'm in. I've got a Jedi Knight and a Trooper running around a bit. The story is as good as you'd expect from BioWare. I've allowed myself a three month subscription to see how well it keeps going past the intro levels.

They just overhauled the shit out of crafting when KotFE launched, so everyone is relearning it, since the mats all changed and they changed the enhancements around, so don't worry to much. Outside of the color crystals, you can but better stuff from the mod vendors and drops.

The change in questing made the later grind tolerable, but the Chapter 2 stories are still a slog, mostly because Quest and Hoth are desolate and boring. You only need to do the class quests to progress, but ossasionally do the planet chains so you keep your gear leveled, since class only does chest, legs, and weapon. To get everything else you have to do the planet chains.

Reward weapons s are useless though, since you get enough data crystals to but the mods for the end of starter orange weapon ypu get and that will always be stronger than the end of planet rewards.

• Like 1

Charlie with QCF and SRK moves instead of charges feels profoundly wrong, but I think that's on purpose.

It occurs to me that Amazon Prime is the only reason I didn't sit on this til the summer--I could get it now for $48 and be annoyed at the limited single player options, or I could get it in June and probably pay $60.  So their new policies are actively encouraging buyers to support "patch it later" releases over rational behavior.  (And I fell for it.)

Guile's one of the DLC characters if it's that big of a dealbreaker, although it's not clear when he's coming out.\

Got my first player matches in today, and the netcode is dreamlike. It's really remarkable.

Take them for whatever they are worth - DICE Award Winners

Game of the Year

Fallout 4

Publisher: Bethesda Softworks
Developer: Bethesda Game Studios

Outstanding Achievement in Game Direction

Fallout 4

Outstanding Achievement in Game Design

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Publisher: CD PROJEKT RED
Developer: CD PROJEKT RED

Action Game of the Year

Star Wars Battlefront

Publisher: Electronic Arts
Developer: DICE

Adventure Game of the Year

METAL GEAR SOLID V: The Phantom Pain

Publisher: Konami
Developer: Kojima Productions

Family Game of the Year

Super Mario Maker

Publisher: Nintendo of America, Inc.
Developer: Nintendo EAD Group No. 4

Fighting Game of the Year

Mortal Kombat X

Publisher: Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
Developer: NetherRealm Studios

Racing Game of the Year

Forza Motorsport 6

Publisher: Microsoft Studios
Developer: Turn 10

Role-Playing/Massively Multiplayer Game of the Year

Fallout 4

Sports Game of the Year

Rocket League

Publisher: Psyonix
Developer: Psyonix

Strategy/Simulation Game of the Year

Heroes of the Storm

Publisher: Blizzard Entertainment, Inc.
Developer: Blizzard Entertainment, Inc.

D.I.C.E. Sprite Award

Rocket League

Handheld Game of the Year

HELLDIVERS

Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC
Developer: Arrowhead Game Studios

Mobile Game of the Year

Fallout Shelter

Outstanding Achievement in Online Gameplay

Rocket League

Outstanding Achievement in Animation

Ori and the Blind Forest

Developer: Moon Studios

Outstanding Achievement in Art Direction

Ori and the Blind Forest

Outstanding Achievement in Character

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Publisher: SQUARE ENIX Inc.
Developer: Crystal Dynamics

Outstanding Achievement in Original Music Composition

Ori and the Blind Forest

Outstanding Achievement in Sound Design

Star Wars Battlefront

Publisher: Electronic Arts
Developer: DICE

Outstanding Achievement in Story

Outstanding Technical Achievement

I'm currently playing Dragon Quest Heroes on the PS4 and I'm loving it!

I used to be a big RPG fan during the SNES days, practically played every RPG that was released over here. But ever since then I drifted away completely from the genre.

I tried to get reacquainted with the genre several times during the PS3 days (Dragon Age, Ni No Kuni, Demon's Souls etc.), but I failed every time.*

I hate that you can play RPGs for hours without accomplishing anything, I hate the nonsensical grinding you have to do, I hate having to deal with massive inventories and I'm kind of fed up with the turn-based system, too.

I finally succeeded with this game. I love how this game combines all the things I like about RPGs with all the things I like about Hack & Slash games. Granted it has inventories and grinding, too, but it doesn't feel like such a big hassle as with other games and it does away with the turn-based bullshit completely. I love how you can just play for half an hour and still feel like you accomplished something. I also love the cutesy Akira-Toriyama-style characters and world this is set in.

Maybe this RPG subgenre has been out there for a long time and I was just too stupid to find out about it, but if there's anything else like this out there worth checking out, let me know.

*Unless you count the Zelda and the Mass Effect series, which I both love, but don't count as traditional RPG for different reasons.

• Like 2

You'll get Guile in a few months.

Oh, I know. I'm sorry thst came off as a complaint (BL88 said the same thing). It wasn't intended to--like I said, changing his moves was part of his transformation and it's a deliberately unsettling choice. I like him now, it's just reinforcing how bad I am at SF generally.

Vectrex Regenration FINALLY did an update, adding some of the games that were missing from their initial 2013 release.  I need to see if my iCade joystick still works, because I love the fuck out of some Vectrex.  Still no sign of Clean Sweep (the Pac-Man clone), though 

I'm currently playing Dragon Quest Heroes on the PS4 and I'm loving it!

I used to be a big RPG fan during the SNES days, practically played every RPG that was released over here. But ever since then I drifted away completely from the genre.

I tried to get reacquainted with the genre several times during the PS3 days (Dragon Age, Ni No Kuni, Demon's Souls etc.), but I failed every time.*

I hate that you can play RPGs for hours without accomplishing anything, I hate the nonsensical grinding you have to do, I hate having to deal with massive inventories and I'm kind of fed up with the turn-based system, too.

I finally succeeded with this game. I love how this game combines all the things I like about RPGs with all the things I like about Hack & Slash games. Granted it has inventories and grinding, too, but it doesn't feel like such a big hassle as with other games and it does away with the turn-based bullshit completely. I love how you can just play for half an hour and still feel like you accomplished something. I also love the cutesy Akira-Toriyama-style characters and world this is set in.

Maybe this RPG subgenre has been out there for a long time and I was just too stupid to find out about it, but if there's anything else like this out there worth checking out, let me know.

*Unless you count the Zelda and the Mass Effect series, which I both love, but don't count as traditional RPG for different reasons.

I have this on the way from Woot and I'm really looking forward to trying it.

If you're enjoying it, my understanding is that it is very similar to the Dynasty Warriors games, so you might like those as well.

Girlfriend bought me the XB1 version of Rocket League. It chugs on my laptop even at lower settings, so I was surprised at both how nice looking it is, but also how fast.

I need to learn patience. So many opportunities pop up if you hang back a bit. Anyway, it's a brilliant game. Buy it.

I have this on the way from Woot and I'm really looking forward to trying it.

If you're enjoying it, my understanding is that it is very similar to the Dynasty Warriors games, so you might like those as well.

Yeah, I might have to check one of those out.

I also seem to have missed out on Hyrule Warriors. When it was released two years ago I immediately dismissed it, because I thought it looked stupid, but it might have been right up my alley.

two gaming moments accomplished this week.

1: beat Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword for the Wii. took around 40 hours and almost exactly one month. fun game. it doesn't seem to be anybody's favorite, but i really liked the art style and the characters.

2: completed my US Virtual Boy collection. i know it's only 14 games, but i still think it's cool to have them all.

virtualboy_zpsi1roein7.jpg

• Like 5