DVDVR Message Board

2016 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

So, thr two biggest XCOM fans on the board are the guy who does youtube, and the guy who streams and has a blog.

XCOM 2 has online multiplayer.

C'mon guys, hook 'em up. The Foz and Fresh Connection.

Ha. Bear's schedule has been tough to record. But when we do, we have permission to do videos in the betas of both Drawn to Death and Gigantic. So those take first priority. Also, I was pretty disheartened at how our videos for Lego Avengers, the Witness, and the Division did, since I got those videos up while the games were fresh and new.

Also, I've never recorded a PC game. I gotta figure out how to do that. On the other hand, I'm really sick of playing games that Bear is gonna trash the whole video. It was funny for awhile, now it gets on my nerves. And I know he'll hate XCOM.

Edit: Finally, while I love XCOM, I am not good at XCOM. I play on Easy and still lose guys sometimes.

So, thr two biggest XCOM fans on the board are the guy who does youtube, and the guy who streams and has a blog.

XCOM 2 has online multiplayer.

C'mon guys, hook 'em up. The Foz and Fresh Connection.

Heh. I'm up for it if Fresh wants to. I'll take on all challengers.

I got Knights of the Old Republic and Knights of the Old Republic 2 on Steam for 6 bucks. I miss when RPGs were just fucking RPGs. And these are two of the best RPGs ever.

Well, one of them is anyway. The other one is two thirds of a really, really good, if buggy, RPG.

I would pay many dollars for KOTOR 3, assuming it played like KOTOR, and not some half-assed Dragon Age 2/Inquisition action RPG style.

You can play it for free...

But it's a MMO

I've heard mixed things about Firewatch. Seems like a "Love it or hate it" type of game.

Well, I'll say this. I started it at around 5, took a break and posted that first status, and now am posting this one at 8PM after getting the game to completely lock up.

It's charming as fuck, though. The people who think the dialog sounds stilted must not talk to a lot of people, especially on the phone.

Turbine has managed to fuck up it's second "server move", first for Asheron's Call, now for Lord of the Rings: Online. Since my computer is older and can't handle most of the newer MMOs, I'm going to give Star Wars: The Old Republic a spin, see if I can get into it.

So, what's the next no-brainer, everybody-is-going-to-be-playing-it-might-as-well-preorder-ASAP game for the XBox One? Is there one on the horizon?

Assuming you are talking about from the group around here that you used to roll with on GTA....

The most likely candidate is The Division

That being said while I am interested in The Division, I am only getting it if I know folks from my friends list are playing it

This would be a lot easier if JT would stop playing Destiny and finally get a One

So, what's the next no-brainer, everybody-is-going-to-be-playing-it-might-as-well-preorder-ASAP game for the XBox One? Is there one on the horizon?

Assuming you are talking about from the group around here that you used to roll with on GTA....

The most likely candidate is The Division

That being said while I am interested in The Division, I am only getting it if I know folks from my friends list are playing it

This would be a lot easier if JT would stop playing Destiny and finally get a One

Andromeda maybe?  Hearing the Division being described as similar to Destiny definitely won't push me to get it.  Not saying I won't, but that's not encouraging.  Plus, it doesn't seem like a nite shift type of game, and I have trouble logging on before saner folks have dropped off.

I keep wondering when Rockstar will come out with another Red Dead.  That's probably the next thing that will grab a group as diverse as the GTA crew.  No clue when that's gonna be, though.  When it does, I'll be very curious to see how Rockstar can find a way to milk people for shark cards like they did with GTA online.  I'm not sure how that model works in a game where you have horses instead of cars.

Yeah - that definitely will be a thing but that is so far away from being the "next" thing it isn't funny.

Of course - I was looking through the list of releases and I see nothing

Mind you - I don't know what will be appealing to stout since I am still shocked he stopped playing GTA

The thing about Red Dead is, Redemption was set in 1911 (and 1914 at the end there). So you pretty much have to make the next game a timeline prequel to that, unless you're doing it as an Al Capone-type deal. Which would be good, but wouldn't feel like Red Dead.

• Like 1

Of course - I was looking through the list of releases and I see nothing

That's kinda what I was getting at.  I don't know of anything prior to Andromeda, which is admittedly a really long way away, that will grab that many of us, especially for online.  Hell, Andromeda may turn out to be the next game I buy.  I'm gonna be playing Fallout for a long time, based off past experiences.  

Would be nice if something hit before the end of the year.  I'm on vacation for essentially all of October-December, so I'd actually have some free time to play.

For Xbox One? Shit, I don't even have one, but I'm most looking forward to Paragon (I blame Dota 2 for this, but Paragon looks really fucking good), Overwatch (COME ON! Just make this an open beta already!), the Division, and Gang Beasts. Of those, I guess only the Division would qualify, but if Overwatch or Paragon aren't free to play, I'm pre-ordering those with the quickness.

I downloaded Avengers Academy for Android.

1) I have no idea how this qualifies as a game.  It's Progressquest for a new era.

2) Jesus shit is it a battery hog.  

I deleted it.

EDITED TO ADD: Whatever 'game' this is stealing its ideas from, I'm pretty sure the original is what inspired the "Freemium Isn't Free" ep of South Park.

This is essentially the Simpsons Tapped out with teenage Marvel characters.  It is a game that isn't really all that interesting, but you only have to dedicate a minute or so of your time to keep up with it. 

Overwatch is NOT free-to-play. It's a $60 game, I already have it preordered.

I JUST discovered that yesterday when I saw they re-opened the beta that still isn't open. I also saw it's going to come out for PS4 and Xbox One. That will be interesting, but I'm guessing the bulk of the community will be on PC.