DVDVR Message Board

2016 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

Shadow of the Colossus suffers from a bad case of CBC* at times. Because it's from the earlier era of 3D games (it's a PS2 game remastered to PS3), the platforming sections have the camera issues that lots of early 3D platformers had, where you have to frantically swing the camera around to find the block you need to jump up and cling to (and the one camera angle you need is the one it decides you really want to stare at your own feet from that position). Only while you're doing that, you're being charged by a behemoth, and if it hits you, well, in the time it takes you to recover and get back up, the behemoth has backed up and charged again. So you get knocked down again, and you can only take 3 hits before you die... CBC, man. CBC.

* Cheating Bloody Computer.

How much is EA Access?

$30 for a whole year. they just added Madden 16 yesterday. For someone that loves sports games and don't mind if they are last years, then this is a steal. 

I cannot wait to try out NHL 15, NBA Live 15, and Fifa 15. 

I do appreciate that I have a list of titles waiting to be downloaded now thanks to Microsoft's Backward's Compatability.

Of course - I am already over 2/3s of the way to filling my hard drive.

Might need to start deleting shit

One Mission In.

First Mission was Succesful, for the most part. I lost 2 soldiers, but I got through. Casey Moore and Hassan Nasim (My Heavy and Sniper, respectively) held strong but jeez. 

Also, I'm already pretty convinced that this is not something you can beat without a miracle. every country is started at 2 panic? Your soldiers only have as much HP as the Sectoids? 8 Sectoids on the very first mission? God damn man.

Mission 2 is underway. I'm expecting a TPK, but lets see.

EDIT: There is the TPK! 8 on 4 firefight, no tactics to use, just them picking us off through full cover or destroying said cover and then killing us. The End. It's over.

I'm trying to Platinum L.A. Noire and I got to five star about 7 cases and that's it. It's the least fun Rockstar game but at least I don't have to hunt down 100 packages or do anything with Roman.

And I'm about 46% done with Star Wars Battlefront trophy wise. This weekend is double credits weekend while COD Black Ops 3 has double XP/double weapon XP weekend. I got done Friday night with COD Black Ops 3's multiplayer so I don't ever have to do its multiplayer again (but I have to do zombies and then try to Platinum it which includes some incredibly tough challenges).

Hiya guys, I am gonna buy a new PC as I really want to join the PC gaming world and play games at a level with great graphics and smooth gaming. If any of you guys know your stuff can you advise on these two and which is the best? The cheaper actually looks the better (the only thing it doesn't have is the SSD Drive and only 8GB of ram, but will 8 be enough anyway?)

Please advise :)

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/desktop-pcs/desktop-pcs/hp-envy-phoenix-860-050na-gaming-pc-10138706-pdt.html

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/desktop-pcs/desktop-pcs/cyberpower-gaming-empire-pro-ii-gaming-pc-10139867-pdt.html

Thanks guys

-Adam

Shadow of the Colossus suffers from a bad case of CBC* at times. Because it's from the earlier era of 3D games (it's a PS2 game remastered to PS3), the platforming sections have the camera issues that lots of early 3D platformers had, where you have to frantically swing the camera around to find the block you need to jump up and cling to (and the one camera angle you need is the one it decides you really want to stare at your own feet from that position). Only while you're doing that, you're being charged by a behemoth, and if it hits you, well, in the time it takes you to recover and get back up, the behemoth has backed up and charged again. So you get knocked down again, and you can only take 3 hits before you die... CBC, man. CBC.

I really wanted to be into that game but I figured out the central conceit really quickly

That you are the real monster

And it bummed me out.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/VJgZsY

These are the parts I'd pick for a similar (converted) price point sticking with the 970 as the card and beefing up other components.  FX 8350 is my current CPU and with the 990FX, has room to overclock if need be.  My current motherboard can't OC so if I was building now I'd go for the 990FX.  If OC'ing and USB 3.0 isn't a top priority go for a high rated am3+ mobo in the $50-100 range.  I would've added my case which is a rosewill armor evo but that doesn't seem to be available anymore.  Bigger is better so ye ain't doin' a bunch of fiddly ship in a bottle type shit during the build. I went for a modular psu because that shit is what I'd want. This list doesn't include small shit like thermal paste (arctic silver) or sata cables (get ones with the bent right angle connectors) and sata power.  This also doesn't include any wi-fi adapter if you aren't able to plug internet in directly.  It also assumes you have a mouse, keyboard and some sort of monitor or television.

Now take into effect that you're eyeballing pre-built from a UK website so I have no idea how buying shit online works over yonder. 

my pc.  Note, that I've been adding to this machine since February 2014.  Initial video card was a leftover gtx 650 upgraded in november 2014.  I had windows 8 and did the free upgrade 2 months ago.  I started with only one stick of ram 'til I saw a deal.  I added the samsung ssd and blu ray burner only recently.  Really feeling the itch to get a better motherboard.

asus m5a97
Rosewill RG630-S12
Rosewill ARMOR-EVO
amd fx-8350
212 evo
2 ripjaws x 8gb ddr3
win 10
wd blue 1tb
wd my book 2tb external x2
evga gtx980 sc 4gb
kingston 120gb ssd
samsung 850 evo 500 gb ssd
logitech g500 mouse
shitty 10 dollar logitech keyboard
lg 14x bdxl burner

intuos 4

g27 wheel

mayflash wii u pro controller adapter

steam controller

dolphin bar

logitech c910 webcam

line 6 toneport ux2

I Platinum'ed L.A. Noire tonight. Not really that bad of a game although parts of it felt very 'incomplete' story wise. It was like Rockstar forced Team Bondi to change it from a Quantic Dream style game to a typical open world game halfway through (I imagine the collectibles were added at the last minute).

The thing about LA Noire is, the story kind of goes backwards in terms of your career progression. You should climax by working murders, not go straight into them from being a beat cop. Also, part of me wishes it had been LS Noire and happened in the GTA/ Red Dead Universe.

I really wanted to be into that game but I figured out the central conceit really quickly

That you are the real monster

And it bummed me out.

Well, it's a Love Conquers All story. Only in this case, love is conquering reason, sense and compassion.

• Like 1

I've spent a few weeks trying to figure out what I want to say about The Witness, and I give up. I don't like it. That's the sum of all of it. I don't like it. It imagines itself as a purer form of Myst, and because it's from someone who thinks Science Is The Only True Religion, it completely misses the point about everything good about Myst.

also, I beat the King's Fall raid in Destiny and that felt great. Especially now that I have it done before Street Fighter eats my life whole.

The thing with Shadow of the Colossus, right, is it's supposed to be a game which confronts you with the reality of the fact that in games you kill things, and there are living things that are destroyed forever and are never coming back. It's supposed to make you feel the guilt for doing that, that almost all other games ignore completely, making you a hero for being a mass murderer. But the actual game mechanics are so cheap and cheaty, so "I hope you liked spending ages climbing that tower, because now we're going to give you a shitty camera angle to make you miss a crucial jump and fall all the way down to the bottom, and you'll have to do thew whole goddamn climb all over again" that you don't feel guilty for killing these things, you feel sorry that they didn't suffer more before they died.

Fucking Cheating bloody computer... I don't mind missing a jump when I miss it. When you swing the camera as I'm taking off, so left becomes out instead of sideways and I'm jumping away from where I want to land, I don't see any way that's a miss. I don't see anyway I should be punished for that happening. But it's that sort of game. It punishes you for it's mistakes.

Initial SF5 impressions:

-I've played six of the "story modes" and I keep giggling and telling anyone who will listen that I love how much it sucks. It is exactly what I hoped I would get out of SF devs saying they were inspired by Mortal Kombat's story mode.

-I feel like I'm not understanding how quick get up works anymore. The only thing that seems to work is mashing the shit out of whatever direction I want to get up in and hoping for the best.

-the input leniency is really tremendously obvious. i still manage to fuck things up on occasion but I'm mostly handling it.

-This video of Ken makes me interested in Ken, but, I think I'm going to stay the course with Ryu until I feel less fear over playing online.

Wow. Ok. So that stupid Lupe Fiasco vs Daigo fight happened. From what I and others can tell, Daigo threw the fight, but Madcatz and others are treating this as some legit thing. Lupe wasn't even playing at a high level. This is the carniest thing I've ever seen in the video game world.