DVDVR Message Board

2016 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

I've already beaten a bunch of Neil's stats, actually. Notwithstanding that he's not got the highest achievements on my friends list. There's a few missions I could repeat to level up my red triangles... plus I've got the +15% outfit now, which I didn't have before.

I doubt few on here give a shit about Dota, but we had the most epic match last night. My group always plays Ability Draft and I'm still learning, so I'm slow at leveling, my friends have to help me draft my abilities and pick out my skills. Even still, based on our draft, we thought we would win easily.

Then we started getting murdered constantly. The biggest problem was a Rogue on the opposing team chose permanent invisibility, so he'd wait until one of us, usually me, separated from the pack, and then he'd backstab. He was practically one shotting us and had 8 or 9 kills by the first 15 minutes. It was stupid insane.

After that, we started losing our lanes. It got to the point where we all had to stick together to just live. As for myself, I picked an ability that stuns enemies around me whenever I cast a spell, so I picked two other abilities that used a little bit of mana and an ultimate that comboed very well with my stun ability I mentioned earlier. It got to the point though, where I was just a suicide bomber. We'd get into team fights, I'd dive in and just start spamming my abilities. That started helping us, but the opposing team was still pushing the hell out of us. It got to the point where we had to turtle up in our base. Then, around the 45 minute mark, the opposing team pushed on us and we had a little bit of luck and wiped them. At that point, we were all like, "PUSH NOW!" and just went ape shit going all the way to their base.

We get to their base and just started beating the shit out of them and after the 50 minute mark we won the match, destroying their ancient. It was amazeballs. So many times we should have lost. On two instances we thought we were done for, but the opposing team opted to mess around in our jungle to try and draw us out. Holding pat inside our base, turtling up, lead us to victory. I've never played a match that lasted that long because the average is around 30 minutes. I also never played a match where we were down so low, only to surge and win. It wasn't quite the Daigo Parry of victories, but it sure as hell felt like it.

So I am late to the hype, as always, but WOW Witcher 3 is awesome. Really enjoying playing Geralt. Thankfully, the game is also really good at filling in details for those of us who have neither read the books nor played the previous games.

I still have The Witcher 2 on my 360 hard drive from when it was free. I know that I should play it, but I always end up playing something else instead when I sit down to play it. I boot up the 360 and then get distracted by another playthrough of New Vegas or Red Dead Redemption or another All-Pro Football 2K8 season. 

I think the fantasy setting is probably what turns me off, but I got through Shadow of Mordor, so I'm going to steel myself and get through TW2 at some point this year. 

Well, that's Sleeping Dogs done and dusted. Third Platinum~! Up next... either Deus Ex: HR, Dead Island, God of War 2, Bioshock or finishing Shadow of the Colossus or Dragon Age Origins.

Probably Shadow of the Colossus.

Apparently some programmers in Poland were so upset about Derrick Bateman getting cut from WWE, they made a game about it.

maxresdefault.jpg

Hey, so my sister bought a PS4 and it's not able to connect to the internet easily. It's maybe 10 feet away from a router but a hard wired connection isn't possible for reasons I can't get into.

We've tried putting it literally right by the router with no success.

I'm about ready to give up. Any help?

man, i just started playing Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword for the wii and i love it. i'm loving it WAY more than Twilight Princess.

sorry for being like 5 years late on this. finally decided to play through the game before Zelda-U comes out

I like XCOM Enemy Unknown/Within, but fuck, my guys walk practically up to an enemy only half-shielded or not shielded at all and, with 90+ percentage chance of hitting something, miss way too often. Having a 75 percent chance of hitting something feels more like a 50/50 shot. The only times that I have lost any soldiers outside of the ones scripted to die in the first tutorial mission is when I have missed enemies at 90+ percent twice in the same mission. 

XCOM desperately needs a good difficulty between normal and the next step up.

Ironman doesn't really fill the hole because that basically turns XCom into a below average roguelike that relies far too much on RNG and not enough on strategy.

I still really enjoyed playing through it once, but it could have been an all-time great if that was addressed.

I am playing on Normal. Most of the time, the game feels fair, but I have missed a lot of point-blank, high-percentage shots, and that gets frustrating. If I understood why I missed more clearly, that would be nice.

It is still fun, though. The customization and base building are actually more fun than the tactics to me, and I hope they expand the latter significantly for XCOM 2.

And after that, I hope we get Civ VI in 2017 because this is the longest that Firaxis has ever gone between base Civ releases and Beyond Earth was the most disappointing and lukewarm successor to Alpha Centauri that I could have ever imagined.

Whoever is the lead designer for VI should combine the gameplay of Beyond the Sword with a beefed up version of the World Council in Brave New World. Bam, instant classic.

Personally, I play XCOM on the difficulty above normal. It gets too easy once you have super powered characters of death with Plasma Rifles with outstanding Overwatches and etc.

I don't usually win on that difficulty, but that's the fun of Xcom.

Snipers have the biggest progression in that game. They are serious trash in the first half of the game really, and in the second half... you'd better have a couple maxed snipers because they are absolute death. When they get to the point where they can Overwatch with no penalty it's on.

I thought I'd pad my trophy stats by going back and getting some Lego: Lord of the Rings ones, because Legos games is easy games.

I've forgotten how to play Lego games. I'm just walking around smashing things and picking up studs and triggering fetch quests I don't know how to do... isn't there some way of replaying levels in Freemode, so you can get to bits of levels you can't get to? Because I don't know how to do that. I only bought it when I first got my PS3 because my son had loved the Star Wars lego games from age 3 to like 7, on PS2. He was eight when I got the PS3, and he played LOTR once and got bored with it.

Maybe I should just download Left Behind instead.

I played Dota 2 a lot last week. I find myself a little addicted to it.

At the same time, I fucking HATE Dota 2. I understand that I'm in the same place that so many others are in. I mainly played in games with 4 or 5 other lifelong friends (one of those would act as a coach if there were six of us online), and at various times, nearly all of them said something to the effect of "this game is so stupid."

And it is. The Hero pool is greater than 100, which is insane. All of those Heroes have at least 4 skills/abilities. Then you factor in the various categories those Heroes fall into like Int, Strength, Carry, Pusher, Ganker, Initiator, etc. I can't figure out how people keep track of all this shit. I can understand it for something like Street Fighter and the competitive fighting game scene in general because the fighter pool is so much smaller even if their moves are numerous. For Dota 2, there's just so much that it's overwhelming.

Then I think about how I also play Magic, which has such an insanely large card pool and I know what so many of those cards are.

With Magic though, everyone's early moves make sense. There is a consistency to that. With Dota, every game I've played when I'm farming a lane at the very beginning, the opposing Heroes also in that lane can always kill me. There is never a time where I have an early game advantage, no matter how tanky of a Hero I'm playing.

What a stupid game. I'm sure I'll be playing again tonight.