DVDVR Message Board

Oscars 2016.

The Natural

I've never really understood the 'why has DiCaprio never won an Oscar?' talking point - he's never been brilliant in anything, he just always seems to be playing 'Leonardo DiCaprio in a great film' and never really adds much to them and always lost out to the better actor.

However, having watched The Revenant at the weekend, I will honestly be astounded if he doesn't win. The whole film was just on point - great cinematography, evocative soundtrack and intense acting from DiCaprio and Hardy

• Like 1

Remember when Tom Cruise was supposed to win an Oscar for the Last Samurai, and then he didn't even get nominated? I think the Academy hivemind really hates it when publicists and newspapers try to tell them what their opinions are supposed to be.

I've never really understood the 'why has DiCaprio never won an Oscar?' talking point - he's never been brilliant in anything, he just always seems to be playing 'Leonardo DiCaprio in a great film' and never really adds much to them and always lost out to the better actor.

?

tumblr_nwzzyjRMSP1sm5n1so1_500.gif

He wasn't even nominated for that one, which is imo his most brilliant and least-Leo-like performance ever.

?

tumblr_nwzzyjRMSP1sm5n1so1_500.gif

He wasn't even nominated for that one, which is imo his most brilliant and least-Leo-like performance ever.

I rewatched Django Unchained and if DDL wasn't Lincoln, that would be my choice for 2012 calendar year releases.

Speaking of actors who didn't win until the Academy decided "hey I guess we can give it to you now": Forest Whitaker. I watched Bird today and he was fucking brilliant. Got some hype at the Cannes in '88 and didn't even get a nod. 

But hey, I guess constantly overacting, screaming Forest Whitaker is a better actor. The Oscars can eat my balls.

Gangs of New York is still my favorite Scorsese movie.  DDL is on his own level in that one, but Leo is still solid.  

Leo's been great in almost everything since, though.  One performance that doesn't get talked about enough is his role in Blood Diamond.  Love that movie.

Gangs of New York is still my favorite Scorsese movie. DDL is on his own level in that one, but Leo is still solid.

Leo's been great in almost everything since, though. One performance that doesn't get talked about enough is his role in Blood Diamond. Love that movie.

I think that's because people were bitching about his South African accent.

IMO, David Harewood gave him the Michael Shannon in Revolutionary Road treatment in hindsight.

Speaking of actors who didn't win until the Academy decided "hey I guess we can give it to you now": Forest Whitaker. I watched Bird today and he was fucking brilliant. Got some hype at the Cannes in '88 and didn't even get a nod. 

What's weird with Forest Whitaker is he's pretty much really good in everything, but he chooses some bad movies.  His performance in 'Southpaw' was actually totally nominatable but the poor reviews for it basically meant the movie had completely disappeared from the public consciousness long before the nominating period.  But Whitaker is great in it, just this perfectly interesting character whom you want to know more about and every time he's offscreen and you're stuck with the dreadfully cliched, overwrought story, you just want Forest back on the screen..  He was perfectly fine in 'Taken 3', as well, even if his character was 'Cop Who Is Constantly One Step Behind Liam Neeson'.  He's kinda eased into semi-retirement, really, I mean he's working all the time but most of the roles just require him to be Forest Whitaker.

What's weird with Forest Whitaker is he's pretty much really good in everything, but he chooses some bad movies.  His performance in 'Southpaw' was actually totally nominatable but the poor reviews for it basically meant the movie had completely disappeared from the public consciousness long before the nominating period.  But Whitaker is great in it, just this perfectly interesting character whom you want to know more about and every time he's offscreen and you're stuck with the dreadfully cliched, overwrought story, you just want Forest back on the screen..  He was perfectly fine in 'Taken 3', as well, even if his character was 'Cop Who Is Constantly One Step Behind Liam Neeson'.  He's kinda eased into semi-retirement, really, I mean he's working all the time but most of the roles just require him to be Forest Whitaker.

...which is kinda the problem. He is now a caricature of an actor who use to be good (basically like his 'Fast Times' co-star/druglord interviewer Sean Penn). Yeah, in the last Taken movie he was non-offensive. Anyway, I'm happy he has stepped behind the camera some and start producing stuff. This goes especially if it means more films like Dope.

Southpaw was doomed as soon as Harvey Weinstein talked it up way too much a few months prior. You would think a veteran director like Fuqua would turn in something better than a soulless, nonsensical Raging Bull/Rocky hybrid. You know that's what boxing is all about now. White champions coming from the streets, beating the odds, and being undefeated while taking an absorbent amount of punches to cover up a lack of skill.

Then again, Kurt Sutter probably shouldn't be writing screenplays. Ooof.

Gangs of New York is still my favorite Scorsese movie.

Like in the main movies thread, speaking of opinions you've never heard before...
I'd go so far as to say it's my favorite DiCaprio-Scorsese collaboration (ironically, for practically everything BUT Leo's underwhelming performance as a Hamlet surrogate). But, best Scorsese ever? From the man who made Taxi Driver?

He said favourite, not best. Two different things. You can think Raging Bull is better than After Hours while still on any given night thinking 'Hmm, two hours free, feel like watching some Scorsese... Raging Bull? Nah, not putting myself through that right now. After Hours!'

• Like 1

Gangs of New York is still my favorite Scorsese movie.

Like in the main movies thread, speaking of opinions you've never heard before...

I'd go so far as to say it's my favorite DiCaprio-Scorsese collaboration (ironically, for practically everything BUT Leo's underwhelming performance as a Hamlet surrogate). But, best Scorsese ever? From the man who made Taxi Driver?

Favorite and best are two different things.  I'm a big fan of the historical stuff and most other movies set in the time period are in the south or west. Cool to see NY in that light.