DVDVR Message Board

Oscars 2016.

The Natural

Having seen The Revenant this weekend, I am fully in The Revenant should win Best Picture camp. Dat bear attack. Also, it was just fucking gorgeous, glad I saw it on the big screen and didn't just download it or something. Wasn't a perfect movie by any means, but it felt like an experience.

Of course, Mad Max should really really win, but I'm being realistic here.

And just so you are prepared - every single nominee is white

Spike Lee and Jada Pinkett-Smith will not be attending the Oscars for that reason.  

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/19/movies/spike-lee-jada-pinkett-smith-oscars.html?_r=0

That's a great picture of Spike they used.

Seriously, what's Idris Elba got to do?

And just so you are prepared - every single nominee is white

Spike Lee and Jada Pinkett-Smith will not be attending the Oscars for that reason.  

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/19/movies/spike-lee-jada-pinkett-smith-oscars.html?_r=0

That's a great picture of Spike they used.

I was confused by the expectations he would be, as I didn't know Netflix movies are eligible. . . .

I was confused by the expectations he would be, as I didn't know Netflix movies are eligible. . . .

I remember many many years ago an actress named Linda Fiorentino had this fantastic performance in an HBO movie and even though they went through the farce of releasing it in like 5 theaters to claim it had "a theatrical run" they disqualified her from Best Actress consideration because the rule was you had to be released in theaters first. I'm not familiar with Beasts of Wild but if it debuted on Netflix ala The Interview, I assumed it wasn't eligible (Unless they have a special rule for streaming services).

Actually, I'm more pissed about "Straight Outta Compton" not getting a Best Picture nom. Regardless of whether you thought it was the best movie of the year, I don't know how it doesn't at least get nominated. Maybe all the jokes about the Academy voters being doddering old white guys are accurate after all.

To some extent, yes. And of the academy voting body being predominantly white men.

But no woman has ever been nominated for cinematography, as an example. Not once.

Cinematograhpy Oscars are bullshit thought. They give them to CGI films like Life of Pi and Avatar, where the actual camera crew are filming 5-7% of the finished image.

Maryse Alberti did cinematography for Creed and The Wrestler. She's been robbed.

• Like 1

Speaking of Bel Air, Aunt Vivian (First of her Name) from Fresh Prince torching Jada & Will for generating a controversy was just fantastic.

Saw The Revenant over the weekend.  So I've seen 5 of the 8 nominees (Rev, Big Short, Mad Max, Martian, & Spotlight). Right now, I really think it's Revenant's to lose. 

Speaking of Bel Air, Aunt Vivian (First of her Name) from Fresh Prince torching Jada & Will for generating a controversy was just fantastic.

Saw The Revenant over the weekend.  So I've seen 5 of the 8 nominees (Rev, Big Short, Mad Max, Martian, & Spotlight). Right now, I really think it's Revenant's to lose. 

I've seen six of eight.  You can't go wrong with Big Short, The Revenant, Mad Max, or The Martian. 

I have a soft spot for the Big Short.  I like movies that assume that I am not an idiot and assume that I have at least watched the news regularly over the past decade.  Also major props to Christian Bale for being that lovable psychotic actor willing to do insane things to his body in order to achieve realism.

Fuck prosthetics and CGI. I am going to eat steakburgers dipped in Crisco for a month and put on fifty legit pounds for this role.  That is dedication to your craft.

I still think The Revenant will win.  It is fucking epic.

As for Mad Max, I am not sure what pisses me off more.  No actors of color for any statue or no nom for Nicholas Hoult as Nux in the Best Supporting Actor category.

The Academy is radically altering their voting privilege rules... a LOT of people are losing their votes.

"Beginning later this year, each new member’s voting status will last 10 years, and will be renewed if that new member has been active in motion pictures during that decade. In addition, members will receive lifetime voting rights after three ten-year terms; or if they have won or been nominated for an Academy Award. We will apply these same standards retroactively to current members. In other words, if a current member has not been active in the last 10 years they can still qualify by meeting the other criteria. Those who do not qualify for active status will be moved to emeritus status. Emeritus members do not pay dues but enjoy all the privileges of membership, except voting. This will not affect voting for this year’s Oscars."

http://www.oscars.org/news/academy-takes-historic-action-increase-diversity