DVDVR Message Board

Oscars 2016.

The Natural

A very meh and mundane list of nominations this year. As usual the Oscar voters just don't want to nominate anything exciting. I sure as heck would have nominated Creed for Best Picture and Michael B. Jordan for Best Actor. Flip a coin between Eddie Redmayne and Michael Fassbebender over which one deserved a nomination. Both those rolls were Oscar bait and nothing more.

I'm a little confused though. Bridge of Spies and Straight outta Compton are True stories. How did they get Best original screenplay noms? Ah well, sentimental favorite to win for Best Director is George Miller. Shocking that Ridley Scott didn't get a nomination. But I guess they want to show "hey, Adam McKay can make serious films now" so he deserves one.

FURY ROAD has 10 nominations. Swell.

Just not best actress.

Well I wouldn't necessarily say anybody did much heavy lifting, acting-wise, in Mad Max.  I loved the film, don't get me wrong, but it's more the amazing look of it, the action and the spectacle, than any acting work.  It should win every award that related to how a film looks (cinematography, visual effects) because it's just a beautiful film.  Acting?  Not so much.

Best Original Screenplay is the most interesting category here.

In a right and proper world. Ex Machina should win that even though SOC and Inside Out were king sized.

With all of the commercially successful movies that got noms, I expect that The Big Short or Spotlight to carry home a lot of statues.  

I would be happy with The Martian, The Revenant, and Fury Road all taking something home.

Kinda bummed that AV (Holy crap but she is adorable..) is up for BSA for The Danish Girl instead of Ex Machina, but that is show biz.  Pick the role that is freshest in the zeitgeist.

• Like 1

I would be happy with The Martian, The Revenant, and Fury Road all taking something home.

Kinda bummed that AV is up for BSA for The Danish Girl instead of Ex Machina, but that is show biz.  Pick the role that is freshest in the zeitgeist.

Pretty much this, I haven't seen The Danish Girl, but I have trouble believing it was a more interesting or challenging character than Ex-Machina.

Are they turning Kate Winslet into the new Streep, where she just has to show up and she'll get thrown a nom? Actually, the actress categories seem too familiar. Jennifer Lawrence is fantastic, but did she really need her *fourth* nomination in 6 years for a movie that nobody really seemed to care about?

Has anyone seen 45 Years? Rampling winning would be cool.

Also, fuck yeah, Fury Road. Cinematography is the one I hope it wins, but leaving with anything would be cool.

Jennifer Lawrence is fantastic, but did she really need her *fourth* nomination in 6 years for a movie that nobody really seemed to care about?

I wouldn't even say she was that great in the movie. I mean, she was fine and the movie was pretty good but...it wasn't exactly heavy-lifting, to borrow a phrase.

I remember in 2009 Richard Jenkins got nominated for Best Actor for 'The Visitor' a little-seen indie film while Melissa Leo was nominated for Best Actress even littler-seen 'Frozen River', and Robert Downey Jr. was nominated for 'Tropic Thunder' and 'In Bruges' got a screenplay and it felt like, slowly but surely, the face of the Academy was changing and things were becoming less and less predictable and you saw Oscar movies getting bypassed by indies and the like.  This year feels like it's going backwards in terms of nominees.  Should have got Billy Crystal to host.

And if anyone hasn't seen The Visitor or Frozen River, for God's sake, do it.

I can't complain about what was or wasn't nominated this year, clearly I have to see Mad Max now, because holy shit, THAT'S up for Best Picture?

Go ahead and bet on Stallone winning the Supporting Actor category. It will be his lifetime achievement award.

That's literally the most sour grapes comment I've ever read on this board.  A lifetime achievement for what?  The forty shitty movies he made after his last Oscar? He deserves an Oscar due to his snubs for Rhinestone or Stop or My Mom Will Shoot? His ratio of good movies to bad are about 10:1.  Stallone will probably win because everybody was fucking acting like he had it in the bag BEFORE THE MOVIE EVEN CAME OUT.

Mad Max is damn near perfect, and Sly's performance is the best I've seen this year.

I just hope after the awards they put out the George Miller special edition he wants on Blu ray with a black & white version and a all musical score version. Miracles can happen at the Oscars so I want to see him win Best Director.