DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION V.2.0

I've always liked Layla. Always thought she was hot and she was committed to becoming a somewhat decent worker. Her stuff with LayCool makes her time in WWE all worth it. Layla seemed like one of the first WWE female 'lifers' as I could see her easily transitioning from the ring to being the 'face' of Be A Star/Breast Cancer Awareness Month/Whatever WWE Social project is going on at the time. Layla El is one of the handful of WWE Divas that doesn't have any skeletons in her closet and hasn't been caught in any controversy. Good for her for collecting a check for so long, staying fit, becoming decent in the ring, and being a competent promo.

Layla had a fun run.  I think her as the flunky to McCool worked well and the whole run of them managing Kaval was great.  While she never was really great in the ring, I think there was a little while there where I think things started to click for her and she was getting better in the ring, but then she blew out her knee and I think that was pretty much the end of it for her.  After seeing her as a second banana, she and Regal could have been a great comedy heel combo when Regal was the King.

Laycool was awesome, the angle where she broke Jamie Nobles heart worked better then it should have and she was super hot. All and all she had a good run. I'll hate to see her go but I'll enjoy watching her leave.

I remember when she won Diva Search and at first I couldn't care less.  But she really hit her groove with LayCool.  As good as Michelle was in it I always thought Layla was the star of the two.  It was the little things she did that were just wonderful to watch.  Was a little bummed when they split.  Never saw her around much past that, but honestly aside from the one move she did she was definitely known for groping her opponents.  Jeez, how many times did we see her do that to AJ?  For all we know that might be part of why she had to change how the submission was done.  But really, she might not be Trish or Lita but she's certainly memorable.  Glad she's got other things to do in life.  Still find it funny despite her retirement on the wwe.com article they still future endeavored her.

From this week's Observer:

"In last week’s issue, regarding the note about debuting a gay character in 2002 who would be a tough guy, that would out himself as being gay, do none of the stereotypes and be portrayed as a kick ass main eventer, we were told that the idea was for the person to be Lesnar when he made his debut that year. The idea originally came from two of the magazine writers, one of them Brian Solomon (who just wrote a book about pro wrestling history called “Pro Wrestling FAQ”), who pitched the idea directly to Stephanie McMahon that year. The pitch was that it would blow away the fan base and everyone to have an unstoppable hyper-masculine ass kicker revealing himself to be gay, and be pushed as a top babyface. The idea was to make sure he never did anything in or out of the ring that would make fans uncomfortable. It would be the anti-gay stereotype instead, and instead it would be the heels that would use his being gay in their promos and get their asses kicked, and making everyone using negative terms as far as being gay come across like heels. The idea was also thinking it would get huge support from the gay community (the problem of course is that eventually it would come out Lesnar wasn’t gay, so it would only be a character and not an admission the real person was) and get positive support from the media as a progressive character. What’s notable is that the people who pitched it first, never heard another word about it, and didn’t know until this past week that it had gotten into the writers room where some of the older agents thought the idea was terrible and it was dropped, and eventually that led to the Billy & Chuck thing. As it turned out, the Lesnar character ended up doing pretty well for itself."

Why would it matter that Lesnar wasn't gay? I don't think the gay community would care about that. They'd care that there is someone on TV who is playing a gay character and is fighting against negative stereotypes.

• Like 1

The idea sounds great in theory, but a.) I would never trust the WWE to actually pull this off without reverting to stupid stereotypes at some point and b.) I would be too scared of the actual crowd reaction.

I think it would work much better now than in 2002. Baron Corbin would fit the bill as he's still a blank slate of a character. I don't know if the writers have the talent to pull it off but I could see it being done and working.

The idea sounds great in theory, but a.) I would never trust the WWE to actually pull this off without reverting to stupid stereotypes at some point and b.) I would be too scared of the actual crowd reaction.

Darren Young doesn't seem to be having an issue.

• Like 1

Darren Young illustrates the problem with that gimmick. If they aren't playing to gay stereotypes (and they absolutely shouldn't) why would the character's sexuality matter? If the gimmick was gonna be the same as Lesnar's was anyway, but the character was gay, then when would that have come up? Heyman has occasionally referenced Brock's wife and children in promos, but always just in passing, not as essential parts of Brock's character. And as noted, this would conflict with Lesnar's actual sexuality. They'd have to have been extremely careful about working that in without it looking forced, and "extremely careful" is not something WWE is good at. They've done it right with Young because, that one "coming out" joke PTP made aside, there's been no reference to it, as it's had zero impact on Darren Young the character. That's probably the best way to handle that.

Guest Edwin

I don't follow wrestling anymore and haven't followed it closely in a bout 9-10 years and only watch shoot interviews when I'm bored on YouTube, but I've seen videos of Candace LeRae and other female indy wrestlers wrestling guys and it's pretty absurd. I'm sure that's been discussed on here previously, but since I don't read this area of the board that frequently, I wouldn't know.

With some of the less enlightened things Brock said during that time period, it is good for the safety of those writers they didn't pitch the idea straight to Brock.

That's what I was thinking.  I can't imagine Brock being fond of the idea, to put it mildly.

I can only think of 2 people who would be more offended to be offered the gimmick.....the Hulkster and AJ Styles.  

I don't follow wrestling anymore and haven't followed it closely in a bout 9-10 years and only watch shoot interviews when I'm bored on YouTube, but I've seen videos of Candace LeRae and other female indy wrestlers wrestling guys and it's pretty absurd. I'm sure that's been discussed on here previously, but since I don't read this area of the board that frequently, I wouldn't know.

Why is it absurd? It's entertainment. Is it absurd when women in action films fight men?

• Like 1

Why is it absurd? It's entertainment. Is it absurd when women in action films fight men?

The way I look at women wrestling men is if you have a problem with the idea of Rey Mysterio beating Brock Lesnar, you'll probably have a problem with Candace LeRae beating Timothy Thatcher. At the same time it works in the indies because of how small the guys are nowadays. I mean Candace LeRae at 5'2" 125lbs beating Matt Jackson at 5'10" 175lbs isn't that big a deal.

Also what's the end game? If a woman beats a guy, the guy just got beat by a woman. If a man beats a woman, he just beat a woman. Outside of physically bigger women like Kong, Havok, Bull Nakano, the woman looks out of place wrestling a lot of guys. 

Just like in action movies, it depends on the girl. Does Black Widow, a specially trained KGB agent, or Wonder Woman, an Amazonian Warrior Princess (and at times an actual Goddess) beating up men make sense? Yes of course it does. Does Lois Lane or a non-powered Jane Foster make sense beating up men? Nope. There's a sense of realism needed and to do intergender wrestling you have to tow a fine line

Agreed. The stuff with Sexy Star was easily my least favorite part of the 10 or so episodes of Lucha Underground that I watched (well besides Matt Striker)