DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION V.2.0

Can't the man just be allowed to not like inter-gender matches without catching a bunch of shit for it?

Basically this. there isn't a person here who is "wrong," no matter how many people pile on.

The problem there is that it's the opposite: 

No matter which side you fall on in the inter-gender match debate, YOU ARE WRONG. 

The unique nature of sports entertainment and pro wrestling has made this a debate where both sides can be said to be wrong and misogynists for thinking that way, no matter which side you take on the debate.

If you say "yes, intergender matches should take place", then you are a monster who wants to see women beaten up for men.

If you say "no, intergender matches should never take place", then you are wrong because it's the same as saying "No, a woman should never star in an action movie because there's a chance she'd have to fight men".

The debate really does boil down to accepting  "No matter which side you're on, YOU ARE WRONG- so just accept which side of the debate you're willing to be wrong on and go from there.

• Like 2

After going back and reading, you're right, he didn't say that. Heat of the moment thing, I guess? Saw what I wanted to? Guess all I can do is apologize for that one. Sorry about that, grizzlyedwin.

I still don't think that there's anything wrong with inter-gender wrestling besides the fact that some of it is real (the bumps) and it's the idea of the implied violence when it's not (worked punches, etc). I agree with you on the slapping, I don't like that either. Joey Ryan definitely takes it too far, for example. I forgot the guy's name, but there was a video a few months ago of some guy superplexing a woman off the top rope and it was just unnecessary because of the size difference. I think that makes a difference, too. IE - Not that it's ever happen (has it?), but Biff Busick shouldn't be facing Candice LeRae.

It's not like the women are being forced into it, but I think even LuFisto has said that a lot of women in different areas of the world, depending on where you are, that's the only way you can break in because there's hardly any female talent in the area. I think maybe that's what Big Fresh was talking about, maybe? So in a way, they are forced into it, I suppose.

I'm not a huge fan of man on woman violence, but if it has to be part of the show

This is where the issue is: it doesn't have to be part of the show, regardless of Big Fresh's weird defensive insistence that is almost certainly rooted in his kooky political beliefs.

I have no idea what the fuck you're talking about...

Neither does the guy who just made the point that if UFC can get lots of women, so should the show at the VFW hall with an audience of 30!

Everyone* is missing every point** here.

Whether people enjoy a mixed match or not is their preference, but people need to stop making pronouncements presenting said preference as the only right one, (and yes, saying that it is always inappropriate is doing just that.)

Does a promotion NEED to put on a mixed match? Almost certainly not, and I can certainly see why a promoter would want to avoid that, but if they choose to, there's ways to do it well and ways to do it poorly, just as with any other match.

*slightly hyperbolic
**that they don't agree with.

• Like 1

Can't the man just be allowed to not like inter-gender matches without catching a bunch of shit for it?

Yes, of course he can simply not like it.  People can debate or disagree as they see fit.

Wait... aren't you the guy who can't let any WWE criticism slide without putting your 2 cents in?  Nothing wrong with it, but have a little self-awareness. Come on.

No, I'm the dude who thinks any use of the word buried negates any merit the criticisms may have because I haven't seen one proper use of that word in god knows how long.

Whoa, okay. Let me parse some of this out, because there's a lot.

I feel like women wrestlers are presented as equals to men wrestlers, then AT LEAST TO ME, it doesn't come across as intergender violence. It's an entertaining exhibition.

I should also clarify that I'm arguing from a point that I don't think equally trained men and women should be treated differently in physical labor. It's been proven that the argument that MEN ARE STRONGER THAN WOMEN is false (men tend to have higher potentials for upper-body strength while women tend to have higher potentials for lower-body strength). The reason I FEEL things like domestic violence are wrong is because it's a violation of trust and intimacy, not to mention severely psychologically traumatic. I don't feel like women are inherently in need of protection or coddling. For instance, I think it would be just as inappropriate for a 6'2", 250 lbs trained male athlete to fight a 5'5" 180 untrained man as it would be a woman.

Do I support intergender shoot fighting? I don't know. I feel like that's complicated and not really what I'm talking about.

But wrestling is about cooperation. It's a performance. We don't have to worry about any of that. Thinking that women have to be superheros to fight dudes sucks TO ME, and I think being a trained pro wrestler is plenty of equal footing to allow women to wrestle men as long as it's not book to be a creepy, sleaze type of thing.

Not trying to give the guy shit about his opinion, it just felt weird to call it absurd given MY PERSONAL VIEWS on it.

Roll Tide, y'all.

Guest Edwin

Again, it's cool if you like that kind of stuff and all, but I just don't feel comfortable seeing a 250 lb. man slapping a 145 lb. much smaller female.

It has nothing to do with the booking, whether a woman can beat a man or not, or none of that stuff.

I'm completely indifferent on intergender wrestling.  I'm not interested in watching it, but I can separate it from Rousey fighting dudes because one is an art form and the other is a fight.

I'm also pretty cool with women stunt doubles. Hey, now there is a legitimate comparison that doesn't involve superheroes or shoot fighting.

• Like 4

I'll help you along.

Ms.Chif spit green mist in my face once. That was pretty fucking sickening. I am a victim!

Every time an issue with even vague ties to feminism is brought up on this board, someone feels the need to chime in and mock the person for feeling the way they feel. Your mockery is troubling in particular because proclaiming "I am a victim" jokingly is essentially mocking victims of man-on-woman violence. That's offensive, and "I want you to understand" that "you're just wrong" but it wouldn't be the first time that your kooky opinions were offensive on this board.

• Like 1

Every time an issue with even vague ties to feminism is brought up on this board, someone feels the need to chime in and mock the person for feeling the way they feel. Your mockery is troubling in particular because proclaiming "I am a victim" jokingly is essentially mocking victims of man-on-woman violence. That's offensive, and "I want you to understand" that "you're just wrong" but it wouldn't be the first time that your kooky opinions were offensive on this board.

"You're just wrong" was in response to the conversation about whether or not eliminating mixed wrestling would prevent women from wrestling.

But, y'know, way to take a discussion that hadn't gotten personal yet and helping it over that line.

Are you ever *not* outraged about something?

I'm not outraged currently, or generally when I'm browsing the board. Calling people out on the moronic things they say is something I can do without outrage.

I'll help you along.

Ms.Chif spit green mist in my face once. That was pretty fucking sickening. I am a victim!

Jesus Christ, then just be offended....

Are you ever *not* outraged about something?

I'm not outraged currently, or generally when I'm browsing the board. Calling people out on the moronic things they say is something I can do without outrage.

Well calling people out is easy when your always on a high horse.

"You're just wrong" was in response to the conversation about whether or not eliminating mixed wrestling would prevent women from wrestling.

But, y'know, way to take a discussion that hadn't gotten personal yet and helping it over that line.

It's no coincidence that the joke police also want to politicize EVERYTHING.

• Like 1

Hey, remember that time everyone on an entertainment-based message board realized that most of their views on sociopolitical issues were poorly formed at best, stopped trying to win  "who can be the bigger asshole?" contests, and treated their opinions as ideas that could be politely debated instead of incontrovertible facts that must be defended with scorn and derision? It was pretty cool when that happened.

• Like 4

The mockery of someone expressing disgust at the depiction of man-on-woman violence seems personal to me.

I'd like to point out that I never once argued the morality of inter gender matches, because they do make me uncomfortable often. Just the practicality of that at a tiny local wrestling level.

My issue was with your mockery of someone that is arguing that morality. I didn't address your other point. It was fair.

Well calling people out is easy when your always on a high horse.

*you're

It's no coincidence that the joke police also want to politicize EVERYTHING.

Yeah...you probably don't want to pull me into anything remotely political on this. It was already taking all of my willpower not to point out that I have never ever seen a single reference to feminism or gender politics on this board that didn't have Raziel chiming in to complain that it was being discussed, and I just failed there.

Well, I bitch about it being discussed because it generally leads to all the fun being sucked out of a thread because people like to play morality police on why they're inherently better than others.

Kinda like what's going on now.

• Like 1

Well, I bitch about it being discussed because it generally leads to all the fun being sucked out of a thread because people like to play morality police on why they're inherently better than others.

Kinda like what's going on now.

Sure it is, sweetheart.