DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION V.2.0

Wrestling is supposed to be considered a sport.

And a man hitting a women in any way, shape or form is sickening.

Fake or not, I've seen videos of guys chopping and slapping girls on indy shows and that's pretty damn sickening.

I want you to understand that since most wrestling schools and promotions at the local level only have one girl, you insisting men and women not wrestle each other is basically saying women can't participate in wrestling.

That's not what he was saying at all.

I know that, but that would be an unintended consequence of what he was saying.

With some of the less enlightened things Brock said during that time period, it is good for the safety of those writers they didn't pitch the idea straight to Brock.

That's what I was thinking.  I can't imagine Brock being fond of the idea, to put it mildly.

fb8l.gif

So based on these posts illustrating that Brock both "hates the gays" and would kiss another man on the lips, Brock Lesnar is what Hulk Hogan would call a "half-gay?"

Eh, it's not gay if Bugs Bunny did it. 

AWildHare_026-707242.jpg

At least that's what I keep telling myself...

Given the source, it's almost undoubtly 100 percent Bravo Sierra:

"I got kicked out of one of their events last year I think it was, maybe the year before that, all for throwing up a fucking birdie at the camera. I just find the whole corp aspect of it to be fuckin pussiefied these days; it's obvious why they sank so low in popularity compared to the late 90's and early 00's. They wanted us to do WM32 next year but fuck that. We want to do NJPW. We'd love to head over to Japan. We're still wrestling fans. Not WWE fans."  -Fred Durst

Guest Edwin

Wrestling is supposed to be considered a sport.

And a man hitting a women in any way, shape or form is sickening.

Fake or not, I've seen videos of guys chopping and slapping girls on indy shows and that's pretty damn sickening.

I want you to understand that since most wrestling schools and promotions at the local level only have one girl, you insisting men and women not wrestle each other is basically saying women can't participate in wrestling.

There's plenty of women in wrestling and there's a ton in indy wrestling.

There's enough to actually run women's wrestling based around them alone.

Yeah, for the bigger indies that can fly in the best of the best girls. Not for your local promotion down the street (which is where everyone goes to get trained in the first place). You're just wrong.

You know what, you're right.

Again, different sport, but Ronda Rousey is fighting Bethe Correa on Saturday, once she beats her, she's pretty much whipped out the division, except for an unnecesary third fight with Miesha Tate.

Then since there's no one else for to fight, she should fight TJ Dillashaw cause there's no one else for her to fight.

I know I would certainly shit my pants if I was booked to wrestle someone like Sara Del Rey.

I don't want to beat up on grizzled here, because as far as preferring zero man-on-woman violence, that's his preference, and neither wrong or right, but there is a not-insignificant difference between presenting a competitive mixed match and piledriving valets through tables to get e-c-dub chants.

• Like 1

I'm not a huge fan of man on woman violence, but if it has to be part of the show

This is where the issue is: it doesn't have to be part of the show, regardless of Big Fresh's weird defensive insistence that is almost certainly rooted in his kooky political beliefs.

Can't the man just be allowed to not like inter-gender matches without catching a bunch of shit for it?

Basically this. there isn't a person here who is "wrong," no matter how many people pile on.

That's the main problem I have. And calling people who might enjoy the occasional inter-gender match, "sick". I don't think anyone is hunched over their computer, Googling endless amounts of mixed wrestling matches. At least I hope not.

EDIT: It's a very niche market, so of course it doesn't have to be a part of the show.

As has been pointed out, comparing pro wrestling to MMA is false equivalence. Rousey wouldn't be working a match with Dillashaw, after all. It would be for real, which is antithesis to what pro wrestling should be.

Intergender matches can work, it's just that the people who book them often take the shittiest and creepiest path to putting on those types of matches. It's more akin to Big Show wrestling Rey Mysterio than it is anything else; a fight that in real life would be over in about two seconds, but that in a worked setting can be believably done so that the audience believes that either (wo)man has a shot at winning. 

That's the main problem I have. And calling people who might enjoy the occasional inter-gender match, "sick". I don't think anyone is hunched over their computer, Googling endless amounts of mixed wrestling matches. At least I hope not.

EDIT: It's a very niche market, so of course it doesn't have to be a part of the show.

Note that he didn't say that: he said he finds the depiction of man-on-woman violence sickening. And he isn't alone. There's a reason it's a niche market.

Guest Edwin

Note that he didn't say that: he said he finds the depiction of man-on-woman violence sickening. And he isn't alone. There's a reason it's a niche market.

Thank you.

I have no problem with those who do enjoy it. I do find it inappropriate to see a man clearly slap a woman across the face and it being ok because you know, it's wrestlig.

Sure I know it's a work and all, but a man slap a woman clearly across the face, wrestling or not, is not appropriate.

No one has ever won and argument comparing UFC to the WWE. It... just doesn't make any fucking sense. Even less so in this context.

You totally missed the point.

Can't the man just be allowed to not like inter-gender matches without catching a bunch of shit for it?

Yes, of course he can simply not like it.  People can debate or disagree as they see fit.

Wait... aren't you the guy who can't let any WWE criticism slide without putting your 2 cents in?  Nothing wrong with it, but have a little self-awareness. Come on.

• Like 3