DVDVR Message Board

Raw 5-4-15

MGFanJay

I know that, but it seems random and ill planned. Shouldn't they have started this six months ago?

EDIT:I don't know who wrote that, but I hate them.

I guess Vince just sees dollar signs so he's going for it now.  And they've been planning it since before Mania, when she was out shooting a movie or something.

Cool Grendel Av

• Like 1

According to WWE.com, Sami's going to have an MRI on his shoulder.

Yeah he definitely hurt something on that back body drop, I thought it was just great selling, but he looked like he was biting his lip and shaking from the pain and forcing himself to continue because it was his big hometown moment.  What a tough bastard.

I'll hope for a speedy recovery

I know that, but it seems random and ill planned. Shouldn't they have started this six months ago?

EDIT:I don't know who wrote that, but I hate them.

I guess Vince just sees dollar signs so he's going for it now.  And they've been planning it since before Mania, when she was out shooting a movie or something.

Cool Grendel Av

Thanks, recently discovered the series and love it. 

Rusev looked great and made Fandango look like a badass.

• Like 1

You know when they do this wrestling stuff, it seems to work pretty well.

Sami was made into a star tonight. If Cena was going bury him, Sami wouldn't have gotten 90% of what he did in. I just can't believe Cena took the through the post tornado DDT. He does need to lose that springboard stunner though. The stunner should never be a set up move...ever. I did pop for Bret like I always do and Bret KO'ing Heath with the mic was so awesome.

I hope after tonight they realize that Ambrose is still way over and he should not be in a holding pattern till his movie comes out.

I had a thought that with the way Rusev is treating Lana, for some reason it reminded me of the Dirty White Girl angle. I almost feel like that's where this is headed. So I asked someone who would know.

@drtomprichard I'll go out on a limb here and say that might be a lil' too "Southern" for today's sports entertainment.

Cena won't quit, but I can almost see him quiting to save Lana and it being all an elaborate ruse. God I really hope they don't break up Lana and Rusev. They can't be that dumb to do that.

I'll just out and say it: Anyone who thinks Sami got buried because he didn't win can step away from the grown-ups table.

This was the 2010s version of Kurt Angle vs. John Cena and it seemed fitting that Cena played the Angle role.  I don't remember the last time a segment had me grinning from ear to ear like that.

Man, this fucking company.  They are the equivalent of a hot crazy girlfriend.  You spend 90% of the time wondering why you put up with all their bullshit, and then you get that random 10% where it's all so worth it. 

• Like 3

You know when they do this wrestling stuff, it seems to work pretty well.

Sami was made into a star tonight. If Cena was going bury him, Sami wouldn't have gotten 90% of what he did in. I just can't believe Cena took the through the post tornado DDT. He does need to lose that springboard stunner though. The stunner should never be a set up move...ever. I did pop for Bret like I always do and Bret KO'ing Heath with the mic was so awesome.

I hope after tonight they realize that Ambrose is still way over and he should not be in a holding pattern till his movie comes out.

I had a thought that with the way Rusev is treating Lana, for some reason it reminded me of the Dirty White Girl angle. I almost feel like that's where this is headed. So I asked someone who would know.

@drtomprichard I'll go out on a limb here and say that might be a lil' too "Southern" for today's sports entertainment.

Cena won't quit, but I can almost see him quiting to save Lana and it being all an elaborate ruse. God I really hope they don't break up Lana and Rusev. They can't be that dumb to do that.

This whole thing being a ruse on Cena would be so brilliant and would do so much for Rusev and Lana's characters..........

So of course, it won't happen. 

• Like 2

Oh yeah I forgot to mention this. Other than when Sami came out, my favorite single moment of tonight's show was the pop Ambrose got when he won. I realize the Montreal crowd is more Post-Wrestlemania-esque than your typical Raw crowds but, man, that pop was nearly Glory Days WWE People-think-Jericho-beat-Hunter-for-the-Belt level crazy. Hopefully they just let him continue just being an insane lunatic and don't derail this push with idiotic "let's have him beat up a mannequin for 15 minutes!" skits that utterly killed his last main event run.

How bizarre that on a show with many legitimately good matches that the main event would be, by far, the worst on the show.  Also bizarre, I totally enjoyed the commentary tonight.  You know what actually cracks me up is when Booker T says something stupid and JBL just questions him about it.  Like a few weeks back when Booker T talked about wrestling John Cena in 2004 and now five years later and he's still on top and it goes totally quiet before JBL goes "Isn't it 2015?"

-New Day-Rollins/Orton was a lot of fun.  I love that WWE accidentally stumbled into a great heel team, but if they keep being as entertaining as they were tonight, the crowd's going to turn them face before too long.  Great Booker-JBL exchange here where Booker says "Big E lifts weights for breakfast" followed by JBL saying "What does he have for lunch?" to which Booker replies with perfect incredulous timing: "Weights".

-Ascension-Cesaro/Kidd was great.  Cesaro's repeating uppercuts was an amazing spot.  The crowd really wants to cheer him, I wonder how long before creative goes "Ah, fuck it, let's make him a face."

-Ambrose-Rollins was terrific.  Hot crowd, good action, big pops, surprising win.  You could hear the air draining out of the crowd when J&J came out like "Aw man, we've seen the same thing for weeks", only to pop when Ambrose made the comeback.

-Fandango-Rusev was fun, too.  Fandango actually had some fun offence.  Lana fandangoing was funny.

-Truth-Stardust was stupid but funny.  I love the fact that Truth has no shame whatsoever, and does whatever he's asked: "You want me to get scared by rubber spiders and run away screaming to the back?  Yeah, sure."  Another great quote here when Michael Cole goes "A grown man just ran away from plastic spiders" to which JBL said "How do you know they're plastic, Maggle?" and when Cole tries to talk over him, JBL quietly says "They could be rubber."

-Zayn-Cena started off a little slow (The injury probably accounts for that) but it was great when it got going.  It was fun to hear people that hadn't seen Zayn's dive through the turnbuckle into the Tornado DDT react to it.

-Bellas beatdown thing was pretty silly, especially when Naomi said "This is what family's all about" and no one seemed to go "Wait, are they related?"

-Orton-Rollins should have just been the two of them throwing bombs in the middle of the ring and I think the crowd would have gradually come around.  But it was just weirdly paced and awkward and obviously building to the interference.

-Bellas beatdown thing was pretty silly, especially when Naomi said "This is what family's all about" and no one seemed to go "Wait, are they related?"

JBL noted right before they went to the back that Naomi and Tamina are cousins through marriage. It did seem like a huge after thought though.

I cant see "public company, we put smiles on peoples faces" WWE doing a domestic abuse angle, even if Hunter is friends with Mayweather.

It would Hassan Rusev.   No way would it work today, Southern or not.

WWE does not want its stars getting 1000 harassing tweets in a day or getting bomb threats in their stadiums.

Such a great show. New Day getting all the mic time is amazing.

Bret Hart can barely walk or talk, but he still throws a mean mic-punch, and needless to say he's going to get reactions like this in Canada for the rest of his life.

On the one hand, I felt bad for Zayn with his injury, but really I think it's going to work to his benefit. Kayfabe, he fought through injury to give Cena a fight anyway, and in reality he fought through an injury and still put on a damn good match.

Ambrose-Rollins reminded everyone why we all liked Dean in the first place. It's not the funny promos or great character or the garbage matches or even the faces, it's that he's a crapton of fun to watch in the ring.

A Shield+Orton 4-way is a perfectly good B-PPV main event.

Was it just me or did it feel like Cesaro decided to check Viktor's cardio out there just to screw with him? The running corner uppercuts was a great little spot. JBL: "Why would you kick out?"

According to WWE.com, Sami's going to have an MRI on his shoulder.

Yeah he definitely hurt something on that back body drop, I thought it was just great selling, but he looked like he was biting his lip and shaking from the pain and forcing himself to continue because it was his big hometown moment.  What a tough bastard.

I'll hope for a speedy recovery

If you watch the video Trocar posted you can see him hurting himself on the ring steps before setting foot in the ring.

I'm double posting, but just watching this now, I really wonder if Cena started the match with his Protobombs to cover the shoulder injury or if that was the way the match was supposed to go. I don't think I've ever seen him really use those like that in the first third of a match. Then Zayn started to cover it with really broad selling. God that was clever.

2. Dean Ambrose is so over he gets "Holy shit" chants for a simple tope suicida and multiple "This is awesome" chants for a not-bad-but-nothing-extraordinary Raw match...

He is so over that he got a Holy Shit chant for one of the worst looking topes in the history of topes.   As much as I loved Dean winning, I am not sure how much I like Rollins dropping pinfalls on normal TV.  I was sorta hoping that the ref would DQ for shenanigans to allow Dean to advance and let Seth finish strong.

Zayn breaking out the Koji Clutch for the unwashed WWE masses is good for business.  Cena sold it like he was about to suffer immediate cardiac arrest.  What a great fucking match.

Wow that was good. New Day slipped into the heel role so beautifully. Woods is great as the loudmouth braggart, Kofi is showing a lot more personality and fire, and Big E as the super strong guy who can back up all their talk is fantastic. That opening tag was really good. Booker T not knowing what the Freebird rule is was interesting.

Dean Ambrose and Seth Rollins have such great chemistry together. They put together a fun, heated match with the perfect finish.

The fact that Sami was really hurt and still put on THAT kind of match...wow. I've already seen people talk on Facebook about how Sami was buried and how he carried Cena to a good match. Given the injury, and the always obvious fact that Cena was calling that shit, I don't know how anyone can claim that.

Main event was just a setup for the post match beat down, but that stuff all worked. Ambrose ending the show standing tall surprised me.

So WWE people who read the board...more like this please.