DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2015 WRESTLING DISCCUSSION

I'm still not sure what:

1) NXT fans are doing that is so wrong. All I really remember them doing are dueling "Breeze Is Gorgeous" and "Sasha's Ratchet" followed by "No he/she's not" chants and the like. Also, the time NXT fans shut down the dude trying to chant "Leo Kruger" at Adam Rose is there best.

2) What exactly people want from wrestling crowds.

I agree. I am baffled by the anti-NXT-audience and anti-post-Wrestlemania-Raw audience on this board. Also, the anti-Finn Balor people, but that's another story.

They were the fucking WORST. "Hey let's show off how cool we are by chanting "You suck __" at the Divas about whoever they are dating! Man we are so smart"

There was also the whole cognitive dissonance thing where they all knew they just saw Roman Reigns have one of the best Mania matches in history but still shit all over him because "well that's we planned in advance to show how much smarter we are than WWE"

• Like 2

Yeah, when I say obnoxious chanting I mean more "We are awesome" or whatever it was being chanted at the Divas at the RAW after Mania. If the chant comes from a genuine reaction to the wrestling then I'm all for it. NXT crowds never seemed too bad but sometimes I have to watch ROH on mute.

The crowd's "we are awesome" refers to themselves? That's pretty damn stupid. Never heard of that before.

I always liked going to sub-indy shows and trying to get the crowd to chant "USA" in the middle of a match by two Americans, neither with an anti-USA gimmick.

• Like 3

Anyone been to a CHIKARA show care to explain the difference between VIP tickets and general admission.  It's a $20 price difference which seems like a lot for such a small venue.

In the olld days, it was extra for front row ring side seats, but that was $20 vs $15, IIRC. Not sure about now.

So I bought the blu-Ray version of the Jerry Lawler DVD and just watched the documentary portion.  If you describe a documentary as a starter set then this one is it.  Except for his beginnings and the Andy Kaufman feud don't expect much about the Memphis.   I assume it is blu-ray exclusive but barely anything about Jimmy Hart except how they first met before wrestling.   Guess the only interesting thing was a really poor quality 1974 NWA title match against Jack brisco that they showed a little of.   Most of his WWE stuff was about his announcing.   They did go into good detail from the TLC match with the Miz to his heart attack.  If you haven't seen all of that footage it is tough to watch but extremely detailed.  

For the average wrestling fan it is a fine DVD but other than that it is very flat.  Hopefully some really good stuff on the blu-ray exclusives.   There are hundreds of places to get better history and matches of the King.  Hell one person has a comp set of Lawler that might actually be 100 discs  :D   Wait for the documentary on the Network

It's my birthday this week, so I'm asking for a special favor: can someone point me in the direction of a place where I can acquire the Midlothian, OH show of "legend"? Legally is fine, I can pay for it. I just.... need it.

It's Midlothian, VA to begin with. It was being hosted on rapidshare a few years ago but who knows if it still is. DEAN would be the one to ask. It is pretty shitty.

I'm certain I've still got the 45 minute video file on the hard drive somewhere. In the meantime, enjoy the tag match from the show.

It's my birthday this week, so I'm asking for a special favor: can someone point me in the direction of a place where I can acquire the Midlothian, OH show of "legend"? Legally is fine, I can pay for it. I just.... need it.

As of a year ago it was on Youtube. Search for "Worst wrestling show EVAR!!!"

I didn't find the Midlo show but I DID find this awful piece of shit:

Just watch one of these goofs "run" the ropes and you'll have seen the highlight (I guess, I'm not watching that whole thing!)

So I bought the blu-Ray version of the Jerry Lawler DVD and just watched the documentary portion.  If you describe a documentary as a starter set then this one is it.  Except for his beginnings and the Andy Kaufman feud don't expect much about the Memphis.   I assume it is blu-ray exclusive but barely anything about Jimmy Hart except how they first met before wrestling.   Guess the only interesting thing was a really poor quality 1974 NWA title match against Jack brisco that they showed a little of.   Most of his WWE stuff was about his announcing.   They did go into good detail from the TLC match with the Miz to his heart attack.  If you haven't seen all of that footage it is tough to watch but extremely detailed.  

For the average wrestling fan it is a fine DVD but other than that it is very flat.  Hopefully some really good stuff on the blu-ray exclusives.   There are hundreds of places to get better history and matches of the King.  Hell one person has a comp set of Lawler that might actually be 100 discs  :D   Wait for the documentary on the Network

Yeah I can't imagine his documentary is anything great especially since they don't have the Memphis libary to begin with. I saw some news bit that said of the footage they used in this, Lawler provided it to them at a cost. So they had to pay him to make a documentary about him. They've always glossed over Lawler as a wrestler though. So I'm going to guess little to nothing about Eddie Gilbert on this set.

I might just have to track down that other Lawlwer set you mentioned.

I did find this...

...but what I'm specifically looking for is the opening match with the manager who wont stop twirling his hands, as well as the time limit draw with the two masked guys.

Also, thanks for the correction, goc. My memory on the details (like the state) was a bit hazy, and I used to have it from the old sendspace but that was at least a computer ago. I just have little bits and pieces of it in my head, and over time my brain apparently decided it happened in Ohio.

I do not want to see Brock Lesnar vs. Seth Rollins. I don't see how the dude who has been booked to squash John Cena & end Undertaker's streak can have a singles match with Rollins that doesn't have him completely demolishing Seth.

It just wouldn't work unless the match ends up being like Brock Lesnar vs. J&J Security, Big Show, Z-Gangsta, The Ultimate Solution, Kane & Seth Rollins in a Doomsday Cage match.

• Like 2

I do not want to see Brock Lesnar vs. Seth Rollins. I don't see how the dude who has been booked to squash John Cena & end Undertaker's streak can have a singles match with Rollins that doesn't have him completely demolishing Seth.

Wouldn't that be the intrigue and entire story to the build up to the match, though? Seth Rollins has weasled his way out of every possible scenario for him to lose his title. We would need to watch to either see how he gets out of a match with Brock alive and with the WWE Title, or to see Brock finally give Seth his comeuppance and win the Title back.

In regards to the Lawler DVD... I thought Lawler confirmed that WWE has the Memphis library now?

If that is the case I think they might have rushed the DVD because you have to think about just how many hours of Memphis footage there and if they had enough time to cull through all of it.

James 

It just wouldn't work unless the match ends up being like Brock Lesnar vs. J&J Security, Big Show, Z-Gangsta, The Ultimate Solution, Kane & Seth Rollins in a Doomsday Cage match.

and somehow Ric Flair still ends up taking the pinfall

• Like 4

Wouldn't that be the intrigue and entire story to the build up to the match, though? Seth Rollins has weasled his way out of every possible scenario for him to lose his title. We would need to watch to either see how he gets out of a match with Brock alive and with the WWE Title, or to see Brock finally give Seth his comeuppance and win the Title back.

It would make ZERO sense for Seth Rollins to end up in that match though. Is HHH really going to put his buddy, who he has been trying to protect and even threatened to fire Kane for fucking with him, in a singles match with Brock Lesnar for the WWE Title?