DVDVR Message Board

DC TV THREAD

RIPPA

I'm only excited  for the Arrow/Flash spin-off. Never read Lucifer, and the current premise sounds average. I'm interested in Supergirl but am afraid of how much change CBS might have forced on the showrunners.

• Like 2

Anybody feel like DB Woodside's angel character is eerily similar to Harold Perrineau's angel on the late CONSTANTINE? I mean, besides being black. It's like the exact same part.

It will be lucky to last as long. Making your main character The Devil alienates a sizable portion of your audience right off the bat, even before you start taking things like "quality" into account.

Anybody feel like DB Woodside's angel character is eerily similar to Harold Perrineau's angel on the late CONSTANTINE? I mean, besides being black. It's like the exact same part.

TBH, It feels like the same show just a bit lighter and more wisecracking. Also, I believe they are switching out the Latina character on Constantine with a black chick played by Lesly Ann Brandt. She was on Gotham as a psuedo stripper ninja villainess only to never be seen again.

I didn't know the Lucifer trailer was posted in here too.  My bad, Powers That Be.

It looks as if it is going to be a police procedural with wacky partners and a scifi/otherworld twist.  Boring choice.

Anyone who has read Mike Carey's Lucifer knows they couldn't do an exact adaptation of it on a network broadcast (P.S. if you're reading this thread, you should definitely give the Lucifer comic series a shot; it's very good), but I was hoping for something more creative than a "case of the week" style show with a lame "Daddy issues" mythology.

However, I don't need everything to be exactly like the source material in order for me to find an adaptation entertaining.  I'll give it a chance and try to look at it as its own thing.  From the looks of the trailer, I doubt I'll stick with it long though.

Making your main character The Devil alienates a sizable portion of your audience right off the bat, even before you start taking things like "quality" into account.

I'm pretty interested in this point. I tend to agree with you, but certain things in society have changed fairly rapidly. It'll be interesting to see if this even rouses the Bible-thumpers to action. My guess is there will be a little hubbub, but not enough to make it seem cool. And as you say, there will be plenty of people who aren't going to yell and scream about it, but just aren't comfortable watching the Devil be anything but pure evil. That combined with (perhaps) mediocre show quality will kill it quickly.

I'd love to be wrong, though, and have this show be a hit -- both because it would mean the show is (probably) good, and it means society has gotten comfortable watching a show about Lucifer.

The first two minutes of that are like a parody or like they made that Black Widow sketch from SNL in real life, but then it did pick up and looked ok by the end. I just don't know what they were going for with that first couple of minutes, though. It had to turn off a lot of people.

And I remember when there was an "extended first look" for The Flash and it was basically this same type of thing where they condensed the entire pilot into 6 minutes, so much so that I didn't even watch the pilot.But now Flash is one of my favorite shows.

I might give this a shot after the first two or three episodes have aired and I see what the general consensus is on it. Right now, it doesn't look HORRIBLE if you look past that first two minutes of set up.

• Like 1

Yeah, I dug it.  Has the exact feel and tone that I want from an El family story.  She looked much less like a soccer mom dressing up for the kid's birthday party in the trailer than she did in the teaser photo.  I'll give it a few episodes, and just hope like hell that they don't "CBS" it TOO much by making it a garden variety procedural.  The bar is set too high on episodic comic properties right now for them to get away with that.  The plus side of it being on CBS is that we were guaranteed a more vibrant tone.

And you know that CBS at least cares about it since they are giving in the Monday 8 pm slot with Big Bang Theory going over to Thursdays

So if nothing else - it gives you something to watch instead of RAW

Let's see

Arrow

Flash

Gotham

iZombie

Supergirl (Fall - full series)

Lucifer (Midseason)

Legends of Tomorrow (just announced as Midseason)

Plus AMC at least ordered a pilot for Preacher