DVDVR Message Board

DC TV THREAD

RIPPA

Well, thank god, this season of ARROW is over. Pardon the pun, but it really was all downhill after "The Climb." The back half of the season was just a disaster.

If Berlanti and Kreisberg aren't going to be as involved in the show anymore (they only had writing credits on the premier, finale, and the Flash team-up episode), they need to get someone in there to run things with Guggenheim. He's terrible. Drew Z. Greenberg was badly missed after he defected over to SHIELD this season. Late season 1 through season 2 was the best run of the show, and I doubt it's a coincidence that lined up with his tenure.

I'd also be interested to find out if there was some Marvel-esque meddling from DC's film branch going on this season. Early on, it definitely seemed like they were building up Waller/ARGUS/Suicide Squad as the main antagonists, only to completely change course, and thus render the Waller-centric flashback story totally pointless (before they seemingly abandoned Waller, too, and became somehow even more pointless). Makes you wonder if someone noticed and said, "Sorry, we're doing all that stuff in a movie. That's not for you anymore."

They never had a clear idea of what they wanted to do with ARGUS/Suicide Squad. It definitely wasn't to be main antagonists. Its just something cool that they liked using. Same with how they wanted to do a Birds of Prey episode eventually.

So, we can really safely say that while Marvel kicks all the ass at the Box Office, DC owns TV.

Not after Daredevil.

Not sold on Legends of Tomorrow.  That trailer played more like an SNL Avengers parody trailer than anything.  Introducing Arthur Darvill as Doctor Who joins the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

tumblr_inline_nlizuooghk1rd7tbz.gif

Doctor Who is the name of a show.

As much as I like Daredevil, I find Flash to be more exciting and fun to watch.

The last few episodes of Arrow this season would have been improved by moving the flashbacks back an episode. It would have let us see Akio die around when Maseo described it in the present, shown Ollie the monster when his loyalty is still questionable, and shown Maseo and Katana's seperation in the past in sync with her killing him. Then they could have had no flashbacks in the finale and used the real estate to expand on any of the hundred fucking things happening.

I still liked it but god the flashbacks felt so narratively out of sync it was infuriating. They need to not do them just to do them.

The final Ollie/Ra's fight ruled it though. Loved how he used Ra's own swag against him in the end. Student becomes master and whatnot.

• Like 1

Well, thank god, this season of ARROW is over. Pardon the pun, but it really was all downhill after "The Climb." The back half of the season was just a disaster.

If Berlanti and Kreisberg aren't going to be as involved in the show anymore (they only had writing credits on the premier, finale, and the Flash team-up episode), they need to get someone in there to run things with Guggenheim. He's terrible. Drew Z. Greenberg was badly missed after he defected over to SHIELD this season. Late season 1 through season 2 was the best run of the show, and I doubt it's a coincidence that lined up with his tenure.

I don't feel like this season was a disaster, but, yeah, it was a lot less than it could have been.  The thing that frustrated me this season is that the plotting was fine.  I generally like the story they told with Oliie and Ra's was fine as the season's villain.  The execution lacked.  They threw in too many red herrings early on (Amanda Waller, the hunt for Sarah's killer, Starling City without the Arrow), then when they did settle on an arc, the show just never came together.  My main complaint with the back half of the season is they never knew when to give events time to make an impact.  Like the ep where they wrote out Roy.  Probably should have played out over a month.  Instead, Roy is arrested, sent to prison, "killed" and revealed to be alive all within 50 min.  And apparently, they felt like that wasn't enough for one week because that ep. ended with Thea's death.  The show rushed from set piece to set piece week to week and never developed any momentum because whatever happened the week before was gone and forgotten the next week.

Beyond that, not enough character moments.  I still don't really see why Oliver went to the place he did at ep's end.  He's been single-minded about protecting his friends and Starling City and there's never really been that much to hint he wanted to give up being the Arrow.  Roy makes sense.  Circumstances kinda thrust him into the Arsenal role and his character arc included murdering a cop while hopped up on last season's super drug (not to be confused with this season's lethal super drug uh, virus.  To me, Ollie deciding that his friends could protect Starling City (do they really want to?  Uh, he never asked them.  Also, they did a horrible job of dealing with Brick while Oliver was believed dead).  In general, it seems kinda soon to run the retirement angle.

I probably could have understood Oliver going on a suicide mission and be willing to sacrifice his relationships to stop Slade.  Slade was better built up and seemed like a more personal, more unstoppable threat.  After Slade, Ra's never seemed as menacing or personal to Oliver, and I felt like there were better ways to stop Ra's.  Again, execution.  Ra's could have been every bit the uber-threat Slade was.

Early on, they did a lot of character stuff I liked, but that got undercut by bad acting.  Way too much Thea and Laurel stuff this season, and Katie Cassidy and Willa Holland aren't really up to the heavy lifting. 

I'm kinda dreading the day they decide to give Nyssa more screen time.  Katrina Law seems pretty one-dimensional as an actress.

I'm hoping for a better s4, but not optimistic unless they get someone good in to run things with Guggenheim (agree with the comment about Greenberg).

• Like 1

CW has really gotten its shit together these past few years. It cannot be emphasized enough how smart a move getting rid of Dawn Ostroff was.

Yeah, no one cares about good-looking rich teenagers and their problems, Dawn.

There's a philosophy that the Marvel movies have and that the DC ones have and that you can fall in line with one or the other pretty easily so it actually means something other than MARVEL RULEZ. It's arguing for the philosophy, not the company.

On the other I have no idea what that has to do with DC TV.

There's a philosophy that the Marvel movies have and that the DC ones have and that you can fall in line with one or the other pretty easily so it actually means something other than MARVEL RULEZ. It's arguing for the philosophy, not the company.

What philosophy are you talking about. The Daredevil show is about as "dark and gritty" and depressing as it gets which was perfectly fine with me because it fit the character.  On the other hand, Flash is not dark and gritty at all but I like that also.

Both shows are great. One is Marvel. One is DC.  If you are picking sides then you are missing out.

• Like 1

The Avengers are a well documented Justice League rip-off, so everything is circular.

It's actually pretty mind-blowing that The CW's doing so well that they only need to premiere a single new show this fall.

The Avengers are a well documented Justice League rip-off, so everything is circular.

A girl I work with the other day goes "Avengers was decent but I'm getting tired of this. It's time for Justice League." 

She's about 25. Very attractive. But married. Too bad.

A girl I work with the other day goes "Avengers was decent but I'm getting tired of this. It's time for Justice League." 

She's about 25. Very attractive. But married. Too bad.

As long as there are no kids, I can work with that.

• Like 1

It's actually pretty mind-blowing that The CW's doing so well that they only need to premiere a single new show this fall.

I thought FF was the team book Martin Goodman told Stan Lee to make, in response to JLA.

I dug Cpt. Lance shooting down Laurel's warning by saying, "Lemme guess... this coming from your buddy Queen? 'The city's under attack!' Must be May!"

But speaking of ratings gimmicks, the Flash and Arrow season-ending crossovers really came off shoehorned into the plots. As noted earlier, it's hard to figure out Ollie's timeline from Nanda Parbat to Central City and back, then the League of Assassins looked like chumps when the Flash took them all out in seconds. I mean, that's "realistic" in the sense that the Flash would do so, but it just lowers the stakes for the non-super Arrow crew when Flash can take out the Big Bad's army in the blink of an eye.