DVDVR Message Board

DC TV THREAD

RIPPA

Question: Is Arrow worth a watch? I have Netflix, so I can see the first two seasons, but the Batman-ish stuff I've seen mentioned here has me kinda leery about it.

Finally watched the last two weeks of Flash and they were great. Joe's look of complete and utter terror after waking up and seeing Grodd was amazing. Wells being on some straight-up Mean Girls shit by fucking with Eddie's head about Iris was fantastic. Can't wait for the showdown next week.

Arrow is worth a watch if you can get through some of the rougher moments and storylines from each season. I think the first season as decent. The second season was good, occasionally great, and this latest season has been generally solid.

I've watched the whole season of Flash except the last episode without seeing any Arrow seasons before it and a couple of weeks ago when it was on sale I bought the 1st two seasons on Blu Ray which I shall watch this summer.

APO, it seems like I may be in the minority (at least around the internet) but I like Arrow way more than I like Flash. I think the first two seasons were really strong, and had a great balance between villain of the week and mythology. 

About Flash: I think my issue is that right now, I have no vested interest in seeing Iris and Barry together. Iris has been written to be a terrible friend to Barry and a terrible partner to Eddie. I don't think that the performers have chemistry. Aside from "Well they're together in the comics" I don't really see a reason why they should be together on the show. It being such a major subplot really wears on me as a viewer. 

Lastly, whomever brought up Laurel's fighting skills is spot on. She should basically be booked like Enzo Amore. Shows up and talks (canary cry) then proceeds to get her ass kicked until the hot tag to Diggle/Ray/Ollie.

Description for Legends of Tomorrow

When heroes alone are not enough… the world needs legends. Having seen the future, one he will desperately try to prevent from happening, time-traveling rogue Rip Hunter is tasked with assembling a disparate group of both heroes and villains to confront an unstoppable threat – one in which not only is the planet at stake, but all of time itself. Can this ragtag team defeat an immortal threat unlike anything they have ever known? 

Our greatest, best chance to get a live action Booster Gold?

I can definitely see Laurel handling random street toughs, but yeah, no way she should hold her own with League members.  Neither should Diggle, for that matter if we're being real about it.

To be fair, Diggle has had three years of training under Oliver. 

Why is Laurel opening her mouth and pretending to scream when she uses the Canary's Cry?  Wasn't the device Cisco built her an external handheld device?

Cisco upgraded it into choker form.

I can definitely see Laurel handling random street toughs, but yeah, no way she should hold her own with League members.  Neither should Diggle, for that matter if we're being real about it.

To be fair, Diggle has had three years of training under Oliver. 

Not really. They train together, but its more about keeping them both in fighting shape opposed to Diggle learning martial arts and how to fight ninjas. He might have picked up a thign or two along the way, but he wasn't trained by Oliver the like Roy was.

After years of Roy being fairly useless, they finally made him kinda interesting (and showed him kicking ass) just in time to ship him off. Yeesh. Also, I missed a line or two: what was the reason Roy gave in his note to Thea for running away and leaving her his outfit?

Mostly I've been okay with Laurel as BC since they've shown her getting her ass kicked a number of times. But standing toe-to-toe with 2-3 Leaguers was ridiculous. Especially so soon after showing her nearly get killed by a random mugger (then saved by Nyssa).

As others have said, I'm pretty sick of Ollie's flashbacks. The flashbacks started off as a cool way to show his origin story while still allowing him to be The Arrow from episode 1. Now they're pointless. If they must do flashbacks, perhaps they could feature Diggle or Nyssa or Shado's twin sister or Merlyn or somebody. Oh - Waller would be pretty interesting.

I missed a line or two: what was the reason Roy gave in his note to Thea for running away and leaving her his outfit?

He realized if he stayed, Thea would end up spending the rest of her life on the run with him.  He didn't want that life for her.  So he left.

In the note, he just said he left the suit because she (Thea) looked better in red.  Earlier, he had told Thea that he thought he should leave the crime fighting to the cops.

• Like 1

NBC officially cancelled Constantine and WB is trying to find a new home. Stephen Amell has offered to guest star.

He also said there was an idea within DC where he would appear on an episode because Constantine is an expert on the Lazarus Pit. That would have been cool.

Also confirmed there's no plans for the Suicide Squad on Arrow with the movie coming out.

In Re: Gotham. I like the show better than most. It has its moments of smdh, but so do Arrow and Flash. And I never hated Fish the way most of y'all do. OTOH, I think the brainwashing of her muscleman was/is pretty goofy. And banishing Fish to Dollmaker Island just so she could get killed in the season finale was dumb. I was interested to see Selina idolizing Fish and learning from her.

I liked the Riddlerization of Nygma scene -- where he kills the dude. It's a longshot, but I hope that they'll leave most of the investigating Wayne Industries to Lucius Fox rather than Bruce. The parts with the kids are still pretty bad. The final scene might have been neat, but they gave it away in the ads. And even Gordon is written kind of one-note. always gritting his teeth and growling at people.

I mentioned the music before after an early episode when they used a Morphine song. Since then, they've played Gang of Four, Bauhaus, Suicide, The Stranglers and more. Not too shabby.

But the most interesting thing is that they seem to have realized that they've written Barbara to be awful. And instead of trying to rehab her, it seems they're just going with it and making her full-on crazy. I hope they give the bird to 'canon' and just take the characters wherever they want.

FOX officially announced that Lucifer was picked up

luciferimage1-640.jpg

“Lucifer” stars Tom Ellis (Rush) in the title role as Lucifer, who, bored and unhappy as the Lord of Hell, resigns his throne and abandons his kingdom for the gorgeous, shimmering insanity of Los Angeles, where he gets his kicks helping the LAPD punish criminals. Co-starring alongside Ellis are Lauren German (“Chicago Fire”) as Chloe Dancer, an LAPD homicide detective who finds herself both repulsed and fascinated by Lucifer; Lesley-Ann Brandt (“Spartacus”) as Lucifer’s best friend Maze, a fierce demon who takes the form of a human woman; Nicholas Gonzalez (“Sleepy Hollow”) as Dan, an LAPD homicide detective wary of Lucifer; D.B. Woodside as Amenadiel, an angel sent to L.A. to persuade Lucifer to return to hell; and Rachael Harris as Linda, Lucifer’s therapist.

The character was first introduced to Vertigo Comics in Neil Gaiman’s “The Sandman,” where he abandoned his role as the lord of hell in the beloved “Season of Mists” storyline. His self-titled series, written by Mike Carey, ran for 75 issues.

“Lucifer” comes from Warner Bros. TV, DC Comics and Jerry Bruckheimer Television, and was written by “Californication” creator Tom Kapinos and directed by Len Wiseman. Kapinos and Wiseman will executive produce with Jerry Bruckheimer, Jonathan Littman and Ildy Modrovich.