DVDVR Message Board

My Pet Peeve (And yours is?)

OSJ

Okay, this came up in another discussion and in no way am I singling out the OP for the comment, rather I am railing against the mindset that is implied (whether intentionally or not) by the statement. We were discussing wrestlers being jammed down our throats as the "next big thing" whether or not they merited such treatment. Obviously, the discussion involved Roman Reigns and I mentioned something along the lines of "Superst*r Billy Graham called to say hello." The other poster responded with the dismissive "that was before my time".  And therein lies my pet peeve...

All too often I hear the phrase "that was before my time" as an excuse for not knowing about something, or worse, a dismissive attitude that implies: if it happened before my time it was of no importance.  Maybe I'm just being a cranky old bastard, but willful ignorance has always ground my gears. Ignorance is easy to fix, stupid is forever. Most of recorded history happened before I was born, does that somehow mean that it is of little importance? The Constitution of the United States of America was authored well before my time, does this excuse me from knowing what the document contains?

More to the point, as a wrestling fan I find it important to know what has come before, in the case of Superst*r Graham, we had a guy that oozed charisma, was more than decent on the stick and couldn't work a lick if his life depended on it. If you can't have a good match with *Dusty Rhodes in the mid-1970s you're pretty well hopeless. Why is Graham important today about Roman Reigns? Simple, lots of the same circumstances are present, you have a guy that isn't ready for the top spot but is being put there anyway. What can we learn from something that happened forty years ago? Well, in the case of Graham, charisma trumped all and he became arguably the first "cool heel" who had people cheering for him despite heelish hijinks. Look at 1980s **Hulk Hogan, pretty much every gesture, every move (other than that stupid leg drop) is a page from Graham's book. Which is a long and roundabout way of saying I think history will repeat itself and Reigns (if protected properly) will be just fine as a champ.

Now I could have just as easily said "it was before my time" and 1970s WWWF was in most senses before my time as we had no exposure to it in the Northwest. But, because I'm a wrestling fan and I always want to know more about stuff that interests me, I made it a point to trade tapes, read old Apter mags and do whatever else I could to get up to speed. For what it's worth, there are five words that have earned me many thousands of dollars (I do not exaggerate) in a thirty-year sales career, I've also found the same five words to be invaluable when it comes to increasing my general knowledge. Certainly, any occasion that I'm tempted to use the "it was before my time" cop-out I swap in this phrase instead. Try it for a week and see what happens. The magic words are "***Can you tell me more?"

*Yes, in the 1970s Dusty was a top 5 worker in North America. If all you've seen is Big Dust in the 1980s, you've never really seen him.

** The same can be said about Jesse Ventura. Both Hogan and Ventura ripped off 90% of their personas from the Superst*r. At least Hogan could work when he felt like it. Ventura was just a bad carbon copy all the way.

*** People enjoy being asked for their expertise, regardless of subject. You will NEVER get a negative response to this query. You might even learn something important. ;-)

Mine is simple: people who don't know the difference between "dominant" and "dominate".

Dominant is an adjective. Dominate is a verb.

One cannot be a "dominate" force. They can be a dominant force.

Really irritates me to be reading something and then see a phrase along the lines of "he's the most dominate pitcher today". NO THAT IS NOT CORRECT STOP IT

• Like 2

I loathe people that will say one thing to your face about you, and then turn around and say something totally different to someone else behind your back. What makes it worse is when the person who says these things is the one person you thought had your back.

Also, people that stir up shit just because they are bored and have nothing else going on in their lives.

It's pointless to like something if you don't know the history of it. How did your favorite band get to be the band they are? They had influences, you check them out. Now being a wrestling fan doesn't mean you have to watch grainy B&W YouTube postings of Karl Gotch matches, but you pretty much have no real sense of wrestling history without seeing how widely influential Superstar Graham was.

Problem is (and this isn't really the thread to discuss this, but oh well), Reigns lacks charisma. He might be better served as silent heel asskicker with a manager to do the talking for him, but as a lead babyface who's supposed to be carrying that whole end of a feud? Nooooo. He could grow into that role if given some time under some mean ol' manager's thumb, with the inevitable "I don't have to take this from you" face turn, but right now? Noooooo. He's an actor cast in the wrong role.

Anyhoo, pet peeves off the top of my head, as a "grammarian":

1. When talking about a book, movie, TV show, etc., it's "titled," not "entitled." The show is titled "Better Call Saul." You are entitled to a week's worth of pay if you do a week's worth of work.

2. It's "couldn't care less," dammit. Not "could care less."

Mine is simple: people who don't know the difference between "dominant" and "dominate".

Really irritates me to be reading something and then see a phrase along the lines of "he's the most dominate pitcher today". NO THAT IS NOT CORRECT STOP IT

People who mess up "quiet" and "quite".

I understand this is a simple typo. I make a lot of these when I write "about" as "abuot" for some reason.

But still. Stop it.

I hate people who constantly act like they are above whatever it is that they do. I work for a retail company, so this is a huge percentage of people I work with. I get it, you are worth more than $11 an hour, and you're actually a writer not a salesperson. That being said, while you are here, please put forth some effort and don't be a dick to your peers. I can't watch The Office, because Jim is the absolute worst about this. I've had a lot of crap jobs in my life that I took because I needed to fill gaps in between contract work, but while I was there, I gave it the best effort I could because someone was paying me for my best effort. 

Carrot and stick.  People use it to mean you entice someone with the carrot and then beat them with the stick.  Like a mixture of positive and negative reinforcement.  Like in politics, they use it to mean a mixture of diplomacy and the threat of military action at the same time.

The actual expression refers to tying a carrot to a stick and using the stick, not to beat the animal, but to hold the carrot in front of him so he will move forward.  NO ONE IS BEATING ANYTHING WITH THE STICK@!!!

WHY CAN NO ONE GET THIS RIGHT????  In what world does holding up a carrot to a horse, and then beating it with a stick get it to do anything other than bite your face off and take the carrot from your corpse?

• Like 3

"just stick with it"

this is a television show with like multiple hour long episodes. I need those hours.

"just stick with it"

this game is horrible, it makes me feel horrible playing it.

"just stick with it"

every time you've shown me something this person's made I've hated it

"just stick with it"

dude like the money and time I am putting into this can go to literally anything else that makes me actually happy instead of being fucking bored and aggravated

"just stick with it"

EDIT: Also, being about brand name things they see me using. I cover up all brands because I'm not the shit I own, but I slipped up recently and forgot to cover the logo on my laptop and nearly barked at someone for asking me what it was like.

I've noticed it a lot on Facebook: "I'm sorry for your lost".

It irks me that I know stupid people, but I've never been enough of a dick to correct someone, especially in a condolence thread. P

People who dip celery in peanut butter. I mean, why would you ruin one of the world's great foods by desecrating it with celery. Come on. Just the worst.

And who eats celery anyway?

This one kills me, too.

Tabe: How about people that pronounce the name of your town as SpoCAIN?

That doesn't bug me much since that's how it looks like it should be pronounced.

The thing that's really been grating me lately is people saying "I feel like" when they mean "I think that." As in, "I feel like he's getting better in each new role" or "I feel like she's bad at her job."

Also, the phrase "at the end of the day" sets my teeth on edge.

• Like 1

Celery is awesome. When I was a kid we didn't have money for dessert. Our dessert was always either a celery stalk with some salt on it or a peeled carrot . To this day when someone at a party brings out the vegetable platter I devour the celery and carrots like they were candy.