DVDVR Message Board

My Pet Peeve (And yours is?)

OSJ

People who are using peanut butter to disguise the fact that they are eating celery from themselves?

That's not how peanut butter should be used.

The thing that's really been grating me lately is people saying "I feel like" when they mean "I think that." As in, "I feel like he's getting better in each new role" or "I feel like she's bad at her job."

Also, the phrase "at the end of the day" sets my teeth on edge.

Antrel Rolle, Safety for the New York Giants, has (had?) a weekly spot on the midday show for one of the sports talk radio stations here and uses "at the end of the day" so much that one time, the morning show made a compilation of just one interview from him with all the times he said "at the end of the day" and it was ridiculous.

Celery is awesome. When I was a kid we didn't have money for dessert. Our dessert was always either a celery stalk with some salt on it or a peeled carrot . To this day when someone at a party brings out the vegetable platter I devour the celery and carrots like they were candy.

You're nuts bubba.

That sounds really damn good! (Checks pantry... Of course I have no pimentos and that looks to be the weird ingredient that elevates the snack into something really good.) Now, how to convince Mrs. OSJ that we need to go to Safeway with a half a foot of snow on the ground and it pouring rain? Straight up saying I want to go get a jar of pimentos to try out a snack that I read about on the DVDVR message board is not going to fly...

• Like 2

I see what you did there... ;-)

Pet Peeve: People who no longer like something but instead of just not indulging in it, constantly complain about it. It's the behavior of maniacs.

People who ride bicycles on the sidewalk.

That wasn't my fault! My handlebars were about to fall off, I could barely steer!

How do you pronounce Spokane then? Spok-Ann-Ee?

My old psychology teacher used to talk about how Common Sense was bullshit because it was just a meaningless set of phrases that ultimately covered all possible eventualities. How "Opposites attract" but ALSO "Birds of a feather flock together" even though they're mutually contradictory. Although I always took that to mean as he'd misinterpreted what common sense was.

Agreed, to a point. I live in a very small, backward town, where the rednecks don't take too kindly to people on bikes and love to fly like idiots around blind curves. It's technically illegal to ride a bike on a sidewalk, but if I judge the situation and think "I'll get killed here if I try to ride on the road," I'm taking the sidewalk.

It's so rare to run into people walking on the sidewalk that if I do, I always get off the bike and walk it around them.

• Like 1

Agreed, to a point. I live in a very small, backward town, where the rednecks don't take too kindly to people on bikes and love to fly like idiots around blind curves. It's technically illegal to ride a bike on a sidewalk, but if I judge the situation and think "I'll get killed here if I try to ride on the road," I'm taking the sidewalk.

It's so rare to run into people walking on the sidewalk that if I do, I always get off the bike and walk it around them.

This.

When I'm riding to work on my bike at 4pm, I'm 99% on the road, with the traffic, as close to the curb ( We have a law in Vegas where motorists are required to give bikes 3 feet of room) as possible. But at 4am when I'm riding home, I travel down a street that has lot of late night bars and restaurants. At that point, I'm 99% on the sidewalk, with the ability to move to the road or onto a parking lot if I actually encounter a pedestrian at that time of the morning. It's all about being aware of your surrounding conditions and acting accordingly.

It took me some time to dare bike on the road.  Biking to Fells Point and the Harbor is always dangerous for me.  Even with bike lanes I don't trust the drivers where a fair amount drive like idiots.  That, and I get claustrophobic at times when trying the bike lane.  That's why I prefer trails if possible, just hate dealing with the bike rack.

For pet peeves, I HATE the misuse of the word "Literally".  It always irritates me when somebody says something like "I'm literally going to die."  Unless you're terminally ill, you're not literally going to die.  Nobody uses the word "Figuratively" in these situations.  Better yet, don't use either word if unsure and say it sucks.

Lots of grammar pet peeves here.  It seems Weird Al's "Word Crimes" resonates loudly with us.

People who run red lights. In Vegas, if you don't count to two before you proceed on green, you're  taking your life in your  hands.

I was in a cab in Vegas and the cab driver ran at least 5 red lights, it was the single scariest car ride of my life.(I've actually had quite a few, but not by people who are supposed to be professionals.)  We ended up with like a $5 cab ride back from the club when it cost like $18 to get there.  I don't understand why he was not only putting us in danger, but he was doing it at the expense of his own pay.  I've been to Vegas three times, and could probably tell you 10 crazy cab stories, this is just the one that relates to this post.

On to my pet peeves.

People who speak to me like they are a 16 year old from Compton in 1995.  As a black dude who has always been open to hanging out with just about anyone this comes up surprisingly often.  If I say "excuse me" so I can squeeze past you in a crowd don't say, "My bad homey, it's all good," just move out the way.  I need an editor from time to time, but I spend most of my life reading, writing, and talking. If you are speaking English I will have no problem understanding what you say.  Talking to me like we're in that 2pac video you liked when you were younger will make me hate you. 

People who play ask the black dude piss me off.  I don't speak for anyone other than myself, I have no idea why anyone does anything unless I'm the one doing it.  Stop asking me why black people do stuff, I don't know why anyone of any race does anything.  I don't even know why I do some of the dumb shit I do, how could I possibly know why anyone else does something?

People who believe that their opinion is the only possible way to look at something.  If you can't fathom how people can have different life experiences than you, you are an idiot.  Not everyone is going to believe whatever you believe in and it is OK.  Matter of fact, you should probably talk to more people who have differing opinions, because you'll become a more well rounded person.  There are very few things that are black and white, almost everything is a shade of gray.  You don't know everything, neither do I, nor does anyone else. 

Respect other people.  You don't have to kowtow to them, just treat them like people.  Is that hard? 

People who don't respect my time is probably my #1 pet peeve.  I'm a single guy with no kids, I basically do whatever I want whenever I want.  That does not mean that I don't have plenty of things to do.  I'm not going to be sitting around waiting for you.  I'm not going to change my plans because of your schedule.  You can't tell me that I can't do things because you can't do them.  I have crafted a life to maximize my time doing the things that I like to do and minimize the time I spend doing things I don't want to do.  This was not an accident, it was a plan that took years to make a reality.  I would never tell someone to wait on me to do something they like, I just ask that you do the same for me.

• Like 1

This.

When I'm riding to work on my bike at 4pm, I'm 99% on the road, with the traffic, as close to the curb ( We have a law in Vegas where motorists are required to give bikes 3 feet of room) as possible. But at 4am when I'm riding home, I travel down a street that has lot of late night bars and restaurants. At that point, I'm 99% on the sidewalk, with the ability to move to the road or onto a parking lot if I actually encounter a pedestrian at that time of the morning. It's all about being aware of your surrounding conditions and acting accordingly.

In this poor, fallen world we live, figuratively is now officially a correct definition for the word literally, according to fucking dictionaries.  And history shows that when word drift happens the people using it wrongly always end up winning.

So now we literally need a new word that means literally because assholes have literally made literally mean figuratively.  Fuck.

Another one for me:

When preachers/speakers in the middle of their speech quote the Bible and do so at three times the speed of the rest of their speech. "So we look at John 3:16 where it says andGodsolovedtheworld..." Hate that, hate that, hate that. And LOTS of people do it - in my experience more than DON'T do it.

Don't people use "literally" now just as an emphasis word, like what it stands for is "really really," whether it's used to modify something figurative or literal.

When they say "I am literally freaking out."  they don't mean "I am figuratively freaking out."  even though "freaking out" is figurative language. 

But they mean "I am really very much freaking out."  Like, I think it's just the 2000s version of "totally."

Don't people use "literally" now just as an emphasis word, like what it stands for is "really really," whether it's used to modify something figurative or literal.

When they say "I am literally freaking out."  they don't mean "I am figuratively freaking out."  even though "freaking out" is figurative language. 

But they mean "I am really very much freaking out."  Like, I think it's just the 2000s version of "totally."

You've listened to too many HDTGM podcasts.

So, do all Americans think Resilienciey is a word, or is it just Sports/ Wrestling commentators? Because "Resilience" is perfectly acceptable without the added -ee on the end. Or just saying toughness, if that's what they mean.

Also, Manchest United. If you're going to not pronounce the -er, don't pronounce the fucking chest!

People who run red lights. In Vegas, if you don't count to two before you proceed on green, you're  taking your life in your  hands.

I was in a cab in Vegas and the cab driver ran at least 5 red lights, it was the single scariest car ride of my life.(I've actually had quite a few, but not by people who are supposed to be professionals.)  We ended up with like a $5 cab ride back from the club when it cost like $18 to get there.  I don't understand why he was not only putting us in danger, but he was doing it at the expense of his own pay.

This happened because he gets a kick-back from the club for taking people there, not for taking them away. Once he dropped you at your hotel or wherever, he was onto the next.

Vegas tip: If you are taking a cab from a hotel, at the most, you'll be waiting 5 minutes. If you call from a residential or commercial  area, plan on an hour wait....unless you tell the dispatch you are going to a strip club. 

I was in a cab in Vegas and the cab driver ran at least 5 red lights, it was the single scariest car ride of my life.(I've actually had quite a few, but not by people who are supposed to be professionals.)  We ended up with like a $5 cab ride back from the club when it cost like $18 to get there.  I don't understand why he was not only putting us in danger, but he was doing it at the expense of his own pay.

This happened because he gets a kick-back from the club for taking people there, not for taking them away. Once he dropped you at your hotel or wherever, he was onto the next.

Vegas tip: If you are taking a cab from a hotel, at the most, you'll be waiting 5 minutes. If you call from a residential or commercial  area, plan on an hour wait....unless you tell the dispatch you are going to a strip club. 

Another Vegas tip, if you go to one of those party promoters with the VIP cards give him $20 and get as many as possible.  A lot of them are limo rides to and from the club and free entry.  The cards usually have a number on them, that you can save and use whenever, because they don't know if you have a card or not when they send the limo.  I know a lot of the covers are about $20 by themselves so it is an extremely economical way to go out for your entire trip.

• Like 1