DVDVR Message Board

My Pet Peeve (And yours is?)

OSJ

People who complain about political correctness. It always translates to me as "Why can't I be a shitty person without any blowback?"

Nah. It's "politically correct" to refer to people as "African-American". But that leads to stupid stuff like CNN referring to one of the guys who shot up the French newspaper as "African-American" despite the fact he wasn't African and had never even been to America.
  • Like 1

People who complain about political correctness. It always translates to me as "Why can't I be a shitty person without any blowback?"

Nah. It's "politically correct" to refer to people as "African-American". But that leads to stupid stuff like CNN referring to one of the guys who shot up the French newspaper as "African-American" despite the fact he wasn't African and had never even been to America.

I think you are misinterpreting stupidity with political correctness.  I don't know if I'd call people who complain about political correctness a pet peeve, but a couple red flags go up.  Seriously, anyone who is angry about not being able to say racist, sexist, or whatever other kind of -ist things they want to say are pretty much intolerable to me. 

Oh, I have another one.  Anyone who asks, "Why can't I say the N-word?  They say it."  If you don't understand why you can't go around calling people racial epithets you don't want to understand why you can't go around calling people racial epithets.  And if you don't want to understand, why the hell do you keep asking this dumb ass question?

• Like 1

Ridiculous people who post on message boards taking great pleasure in sensationalist stories wherever they're found.

Every possible bit of schadenfreude seems to make them happy.

Especially if it's some celebrity being pulled down. 

Dingbats who make it seem like they're sensitive to the plight of the victims but really just want to munch popcorn like some stereotypical housewife.

• Like 2

Oh, I have another one.  Anyone who asks, "Why can't I say the N-word?  They say it."  If you don't understand why you can't go around calling people racial epithets you don't want to understand why you can't go around calling people racial epithets.  And if you don't want to understand, why the hell do you keep asking this dumb ass question?

My answer to that question is, "why do you want to say it?".

• Like 1

For pet peeves, I HATE the misuse of the word "Literally".  It always irritates me when somebody says something like "I'm literally going to die."  Unless you're terminally ill, you're not literally going to die.  Nobody uses the word "Figuratively" in these situations.  Better yet, don't use either word if unsure and say it sucks.

Lots of grammar pet peeves here.  It seems Weird Al's "Word Crimes" resonates loudly with us.

The trouble with literally

By the late 17th century, though, literally was being used as an intensifier for true statements. The Oxford English Dictionary cites Dryden and Pope for this sense; Jane Austen, in Sanditon, wrote of a stormy night that, "We had been literally rocked in our bed." In these examples, literally is used for the sake of emphasis alone. *

Eventually, though, literally began to be used to intensify statements that were themselves figurative or metaphorical. The earliest examples I know of are from the late 18th century, and though there are examples throughout the 19th century—often in prominent works; to my earlier examples could be added choice quotations from James Fenimore Cooper, Thackeray, Dickens, and Thoreau, among many others—no one seems to have objected to the usage until the early 20th century.

• Like 2

Adults who drink hot beverages (Cocoa, Coffee, Tea, etc.....) with a straw.

Completely irrational but it grinds my gears.

I could see why they'd do that.  Stuff like that to a degree messes with tooth enamel and they don't want to risk messing it up.  Especially if they're in some kind of beauty or muscle contest.  Slightly related, but I remember Zack Ryder putting pictures of his dad drinking wine through a straw.  He does bodybuilding competitions and didn't want to mess up his teeth.  It's weird, but I understand.

And Control gets all the likes for linking that article on "literrally."

Here's something that makes me peevish: I have this pair of jeans I like, and the waist isn't tight--I even wear them with a belt, and they sometimes slip--but the waistband nonetheless pulls the button all the way to the side, so it looks like I'm busting out of them. If they were just too small, that'd be my fault, but I'm blaming the jeans for this one.

What NickMD said.  Those beverages really stain the teeth.  I also sip my coffee with a straw here at work because people here like their coffee boiling hot and I don't want to scorch my esophagus while getting my caffeine for the day.

Horrible internet spelling doesn't bother me that much.  English isn't everyone's first language.

My pet peeves:

1. People who use public bathrooms and do not wash their fucking hands.

2. Government workers who complain about the HUGE amount of work they have to do.  Bullshit..

3. Capturing a zone in a Control match by myself with no one providing cover fire.

4, Parents who let their kids cry in public.

5. Waiters / Waitresses who don't do jack and then look at me with disgust when they don't get a tip.  I am not cheap, your service sucks.

Don't people use "literally" now just as an emphasis word, like what it stands for is "really really," whether it's used to modify something figurative or literal.

When they say "I am literally freaking out."  they don't mean "I am figuratively freaking out."  even though "freaking out" is figurative language. 

But they mean "I am really very much freaking out."  Like, I think it's just the 2000s version of "totally."

You've listened to too many HDTGM podcasts.

Hen Dong to Go, Man,

That's my non-Google guess as to what that's abbreviating.

My pet peeve might be the use of inscrutable abbreviations.

What NickMD said.  Those beverages really stain the teeth.  I also sip my coffee with a straw here at work because people here like their coffee boiling hot and I don't want to scorch my esophagus while getting my caffeine for the day.

Horrible internet spelling doesn't bother me that much.  English isn't everyone's first language.

My pet peeves:

1. People who use public bathrooms and do not wash their fucking hands.

2. Government workers who complain about the HUGE amount of work they have to do.  Bullshit..

3. Capturing a zone in a Control match by myself with no one providing cover fire.

4, Parents who let their kids cry in public.

5. Waiters / Waitresses who don't do jack and then look at me with disgust when they don't get a tip.  I am not cheap, your service sucks.

People who use public bathrooms and do not was their fucking hands are horrible, but the people who walk behind you while you're washing your hands and go straight out the door deserve to be struck by lightning.

• Like 1

Don't people use "literally" now just as an emphasis word, like what it stands for is "really really," whether it's used to modify something figurative or literal.

When they say "I am literally freaking out."  they don't mean "I am figuratively freaking out."  even though "freaking out" is figurative language. 

But they mean "I am really very much freaking out."  Like, I think it's just the 2000s version of "totally."

Hen Dong to Go, Man,

How Did This Get Made

Hen Dong to Go, Man,

How Did This Get Made

He didn't understand the abbreviation and so he tried to guess at it.  Dammit, Fowler try to keep up!

• Like 2

Hairy Dentist Tattoos Girls Mostly.

Hot Dinners Taste Great, Mum!

Heavy-Death-Thrash-Goth Metal.

Hogan defeats the Great Monster!

Happiness declines to good mood.

• Like 1

See, I accidentally reprogrammed my brain to automatically, and more or less instantly, generate meanings for acronyms, as a way of memorising car number plates (because that's a useful skill to have). So I can't really see a set of initials without, y'know...

Did Voltaire discuss violent revolution?

DEAN virtually declared victory recently.

Dark, vicious, deadly violet rats.

Doctor Victor Doom's virginal ravings.

Dangerous vicissitudes, detailed vigilance required.

Deep void, dismissing vertical realities.

Dave & Vince, debating various Rasslers.

Devastating violence, deserves... video response?

For you, brah: (NSFW language!)

O - Oh no, we've got to get that orphan.

R - Really, Lord Webber, please grab the orphan.

P - Phone! Someone use this phone and call someone who is expert at grabbing orphans.

H - Hello, are you an orphan who needs grabbing? I rather think you are.

A - Aaaaayy, the Fonz is so cool, surely he would grab an orphan. Lets emulate his behavior.

N - No... No... An orphan needs grabbing. Who will do it? Us.

G - Gee your hair smells terrific. Won't you consider grabbing an orphan?

R - R you going to grab this orphan or not?!

A - Aaaaayy, Fonzie's back.

B - Boy, who needs grabbing? That orphan right there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I could fill up a hundered pages with pet peeves I have about other people's driving, but my biggest one is when someone makes a turn by coming to a complete stop, then iiiiiiinnnnnnnnnching their way around the corner. If I could ram these people through the turn without any legal repercussions I would do it.

Similar what annoys me is people leaving a parking lot and waiting for a break to turn into traffic...and they can't just sit still and wait, they have to creeeeep forward a little ....little more  AmIGOnnaGO??? NO??? I don't know.   WHOA!  LOOKOUT HEREI GO!! Nah.  Just kidding...MAYBE!!!

Just fucking sit still so I don't have to wonder if you're going to rip into oncoming traffic or not.  JUST FUCKING STAY STOPPED UNTIL YOU GET A BREAK!!!

And people turning left at a light that get into the turn lane a half a block before the light so you don't know if they're turning into a McDonald's before the light or going to the light.

I just want to see and Independence Day ray start throwing cars around.

• 2 weeks later...

People who back into parking spaces bug the fuck out of me.  It takes so much longer and holds up traffic.  This is especially egregious in really busy parking lots.  And they never park well, to boot.  They're either over the line or too damn close to it.  Consistently.  Motherfucker you don't need the rapid deployment that comes with being able to drive straight out of a space.

I haven't proven this scientifically but I guarantee it takes a lot less time to pull straight into a spot and back out than it does to back in and drive straight out.  Oh man seriously fuck these people.