DVDVR Message Board

RIP Leonard Nimoy

RIPPA

I always loved watching the old Star Trek show with my dad as a kid. I always liked the show a ton when I watched it later on, too. Spock is an all-time great TV character. The whole "Trekkies" mockery stuff feels a lot like really awful bullying now.

And he was the best on "The Monorail" episode of The Simpsons. Conan O'Brien wrote that one. He was just interviewed on Stern this week and talked about how he originally wanted George Takei for the role, but he turned it down as he, at the time, was promoting actual monorail usage in the Bay Area. But they reached out to Nimoy who worked the part a ton better.

Yeah - age told me to stay the fuck away from bees

No, Dummy.  I mean that the northward migration of death that would kill us all was the stuff of Hollywood.

There was also this gem from In Search of.

At the age of ten, I was convinced that insects would be the dominant species on earth by the turn of the century.

His last tweet from a few days ago was strangely poignant.

A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP

Well put, good sir. Well put.

The Star Trek franchise was always family time in my house growing up. It was one of the only things both my mom and I both really enjoyed and would watch together.

• Like 1

I was late to realize my Trekdom but I still feel like I had and have a profound connection to Spock. Nimoy's grappling with being identified as Spock and not Nimoy was... "fascinating,"  as he came around to be accepted as the character later on. As the NYT article quoted him, “if I had to be someone else, I would be Spock.” 

I also loved him in one of the few great remakes - Invasion of the Body Snatchers. His detached personality fit that film's atmosphere like a glove and added to the creepiness and hopelessness.

That quote of his from yesterday is spot on. 

I've never been a Star Trek fan, yet always felt great appreciation for what he brought to the Spock role.  He seemed to me like a likeable, talented guy.  Didn't know about his COPD until just now, buy it sucks that even after quitting smoking for 30 years it still got to him.  That sucks.

It's always weird seeing a post like that Twitter one so close to somebody's death.  This is no exception.

Somebody always posts this in RIP threads but all I can keep thinking of "A huge piece of my childhood has died today." Literally the first thing I taped when the VCR was the new-fangled technology were every Star Trek rerun I could find. (No need to tape Star Wars since HBO seemingly played that on a constant loop)

Spock and Bixby's Hulk series pretty much ensured I was doomed to a life of complete and utter geekdom.

Anyway, I don't know what to type that would accurately sum up how much I enjoyed his work as Spock. I guess the only thing I can say is movies have only made me cry twice in my life: Spock's death was the first. Shatner's "his was the most...human" speech at the end still chokes me up to this day. Farewell, Mr. Nimoy.