DVDVR Message Board

Raw 2-2-15

MGFanJay

I like Bray just fine, but it feels like he's being wasted without some kind of cult. He should be all brainwashing people and shit. Guy like that needs lackeys, if not a full on Dungeon of Doom.

Harper and Rowan need to be put back with Bray. The Cena feud really took all of the magic out of the Wyatt Family and they never recovered. They should have been kept the fuck away from Cena.

Harper and Rowan constantly jobbing in title matches to the Usos did more damage than the Cena feud, IMO.

Meanwhile Cesaro looked absolutely amazing. Didn't he do a "Hey!" to a pretty good reaction or am I mixing that up with some other match of his I watched today?

He's done it the past couple of weeks, and it gets a pretty good reaction already. I think between that and bringing back the Swing, he's pulling out all the stops to prove he can get over with the crowd. I wouldn't be shocked if he busted out the UFO soon.

Awaiting the Ricola spot.

Considering the Ricola Bomb is his half of his tag team finisher with Kidd...

I like Bray just fine, but it feels like he's being wasted without some kind of cult. He should be all brainwashing people and shit. Guy like that needs lackeys, if not a full on Dungeon of Doom.

Harper and Rowan need to be put back with Bray. The Cena feud really took all of the magic out of the Wyatt Family and they never recovered. They should have been kept the fuck away from Cena.

Harper and Rowan constantly jobbing in title matches to the Usos did more damage than the Cena feud, IMO.
That didn't help either. Harper & Rowan should have been the ones to dethrone The Usos.

Pretty solid episode of Raw, definitely had that "pre-Mania" feel where everyone is looking a little better than normal.

Rusev looked great in that beatdown on Rowan, then had that great reaction to the flag botch. They have to dig up some indy worker to play the stagehand who set up the flag for a righteous beating.

Roman looked his best since the Shield broke up. Not sure why he jobbed to Show, but whatever. Those spears at the end were very inspired, and he carried himself a lot better in the promos (because they smartly didn't make him do too much).

Bryan definitely had his best night since his comeback too. He was really good with not making Roman look bad, and actually somewhat sympathetic even, in their segments together. His match with Rollins shows he still hasn't lost a step, and his previous matches being mediocre were in fact the product of working with Kane. He got to dig deep into his bag of moves and work a frantic pace with Rollins, who he has exceptional chemistry with. I can't believe he did the belly-to-back superplex, though. That's probably one move he should be cutting out of his arsenal post neck surgery.

The one guy who didn't come out looking good was Axel. Now I've never liked him and wouldn't be upset if he was never on tv again, but holy shit, that was all-time burial. JBL actually said "change the channel" when he was cutting his promo. Ouch.

The Wyatt Family vs. The Ministry of Darkness could've been a fun feud. 

Of course, who from the Ministry could you actually bring back?

Bray needs the leadership of his "grandpa" Kevin Sullivan more now than ever.

So I watched all the show on Monday which is kind of amazing considering how exhausted I was. That 25 minute long rambling segment at the start didn't help though. That felt like a Vince creative session come to life. The announcement was such a let down mostly cuase no Rusev. I can see where they are probably going with Reigns turning corporate heel soon because he's gonna have this massive complex about not living up to his familes legacy or something.

The controversy thing really made no sense because they stupidly didn't have Reigns thrown over the top rope by Show/Kane in the rumble after they were eliminated. At least then they could be like "well it wasn't an official elimination" and some of this might have made sense. But then they would have written the rumble with a story that made sense and that was too much to ask.

Other thoughts:

It's going to be fun when Mizdow snaps and beats the fuck out of The Miz and then steals his gimmick and becomes the delusional star. They need to put Sandow in a WWE Comedy film asap.

Bryan/Rollins was a fun match. They really have painted themselves into a corner with Bryan/Reigns now. It's either gonna be Bryan has to win because if he doesn't fans will revolt on Reigns even more or Reigns wins and he goes the aformentioned corporate heel route setting up some Reigns/Rock match next year which I think is Vince's grand plan. I will admit though that human missile he did on The Big Show made me jump. Someone should tell him don't lead with your head though. How many guys in the WWE have broken their necks because of shitty spears.

The Wyatt Family vs. The Ministry of Darkness could've been a fun feud. 

Of course, who from the Ministry could you actually bring back?

I think Gangrel is the only one that's still active. Unless Dennis Knight is still working, but I would prefer not to see him in the WWE again. Was never a Godwinns fan.

Cesaro did the "hey" with a full-on closeup. You guys paid as much attention to that as (sadly) I did to Harper/Ryback. Speaking of which, him doing the Swing into the half-crab is a nice way of doing it heel-style without getting a face pop for endless rotations, just because the crab looks really painful. 

Roman looked his best since the Shield broke up. Not sure why he jobbed to Show, but whatever. Those spears at the end were very inspired, and he carried himself a lot better in the promos (because they smartly didn't make him do too much).

I think they had him job because it's been pointed out too much that he hasn't actually been pinned or submitted as a singles guy (if at all) in WWE and they're using that gimmick with Rusev. So in order to get around that, a quick and painless job for Reigns

Yeah, the best bet is just to stop with the endorsements altogether and let Reigns be a mostly-silent badass loner. They're putting out a ton of Reigns merch right now with "One Versus All" as his catchphrase, so I'm guessing that's the direction. "Tweener with a chip on his shoulder because no one believes he's ready" works a lot better than "not as charismatic as the Rock but still thinks he can get 'Sufferin' Succotash!' over in a promo, plus look all of your favorites think he's awesome!" as a character.

I think they had him job because it's been pointed out too much that he hasn't actually been pinned or submitted as a singles guy (if at all) in WWE and they're using that gimmick with Rusev. So in order to get around that, a quick and painless job for Reigns

That makes some sense, I guess. I didn't even think about him not being pinned in singles until someone else pointed it out. He's been pinned by Bray Wyatt a couple times and I think by one of the Rhodes brothers too, so he's never really had that undefeated aura to me, even though he rarely loses decisions.

Agreed. The problems that Bray is having are booking related in my mind. I do believe he can be a GREAT character/in-ring guy but is seriously handicapped by some of the worst WWE creative output we've seen since the mid-90's.

Most of their roster has been hurt by poor creative. Mizdow before he was Mizdow was doing nothing. Reigns was getting no help promo wise. Wyatt had his stable break up off camera.

At this point, I believe their Wrestlemania plans are the exact same as they were prior to the rumble, they will just try to get there differently. I don't hate Reigns or think he is dead in the water but they better be smarter with him then they were with Cena in 2005. I mean, if he reaches 2005 Cena levels then I doubt they'll care that half the audience boos him but the guy is clearly the tough, silent type. Just go with it. Tell him to stop saying stupid things in interviews like "I innovated the superman punch" and have him spear people like he did Monday night. Bryan isn't great on the microphone but he didn't need to be. Reigns doesn't need to be Rock 2 or Cena 2. Let him be what he is, the powerhouse of the Shield.

• Like 1

Being the powerhouse of the Shield 8 months after the group has been broken up is kinda lame. He needs to drop all the Shield related stuff, and find his own character. I think he'll end up doing it as a heel if Vince will let him turn.

There is no Shield. Also, as a powerhouse, he doesn't really have any strength-based moves. Running Jump Punch, Running Jump kick to apron, Running Diving Shoulderblock... all very well and good, but you need to do something that involves picking your opponent up and putting them down again. The Samoan Drop doesn't count, that's just genetic muscle memory.

Maybe he should start doing a Torture Rack as a Submission. It's ages since anyone did one of those. And we could nickname him 'Pretty Nakanishi'.

He can't. The "powerhouse of the Shield" isn't actually that strong. The funniest part of the Shield was the triple powerbomb spot that was Ambrose and Rollins doing the work to pick the guy up. Reigns just shouted OOOOWWAAAHHHHH afterward.

He did Sin Cara's one armed powerbomb to Seth. Why he doesn't do that or the normal powerbomb more I have no idea.

If it's that La Sombra school boy to a powerbomb thing that the current Sin Cara does, then yeah, that's a crazy move. Definitely makes whoever is doing it look like a strong bad ass. I've never seen Reigns do that to Rollins but I haven't followed the main roster too closely lately other than the ppvs. 

Prior to debuting on Raw, Reigns used to finish his matches with a belly to back to a rockbottom type of move. It was similar to Cena's protobomb which might be why he doesn't do it anymore.