DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

29 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Wasn't there a cage match with the Steiners in WWF where one of them had to go back into the cage to help?  

It was against Money Inc. I can't get the Dailymotion link to embed but it's on there.

• Like 1

Thoughts on In Your House 13: The Final Four

The WWF's lack of depth was evident on this show. Goldust was feuding with Hunter Hearst Helmsley and The Nation of Domination at the same time. Similarly, Clarence Mason was still managing Owen, Bulldog and the Nation. A lawyer like him has to know that's a conflict of interest.

The Honky Tonk Man was introduced, and he ... did nothing. They just cut away, and life moved on.

Sable and Marc Mero both showed a more aggressive streak in Mero's win over Leif Cassidy. This made sense because Mero didn't need to be "the high flyer" with Flash Funk on the roster.

Doug Furnas and Phil Lafon really got chumped out. They couldn't win the belts from a team that fought each other during the match. They won by DQ due to Owen's interference with the Slammy while Bulldog was setting up for the powerslam, so they would have lost anyway. They would get turfed out even worse at Wrestlemania one month later. 

A blood-soaked Vader was the MVP of the show with his gutsy performance. The Final Four match is a lost classic, and all four men just went non-stop for 20 minutes. Bret Hart justified his whining with the victory, as if to say, "See, when I get a fair shake and nobody interferes, I win!" That good feeling lasted for just one day.

Thoughts on WrestleMania 13

The four-way tag match, won by The Headbangers, is one of the worst WM openers ever. We learned all about the New Blackjacks, and then Bradshaw threw the ref down and got disqualified. Furnas and Lafon were counted out at the same time, so it was hard to even notice that they were eliminated.

Rocky Maivia had a good father-son moment with Rocky Johnson, but I still don't know why Mr. Bob Backlund was teaming up with The Iron Sheik to manage The Sultan. 

Chyna shook Marlena like an Etch-A-Sketch, leading to Goldust losing to Hunter Hearst Helmsley. It looked like "shaken baby syndrome" on an adult, and made me wonder if that wasn't really bad for Marlena's brain.

Stone Cold Steve Austin is the obvious MVP for the star-making performance that would pay off one year later with his crowning as champion. If he weren't so tough, Bret wouldn't have had to go to such extremes and earn the boos of the fans.

Ahmed Johnson recruiting the Road Warriors to beat the Nation in Chicago should have been the end of the feud and possibly the Nation. They both kept going, though.

Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels came out before the Undertaker-Sid match as if to tease us with the WM main event we could have enjoyed. Still, Undertaker was a good choice to settle down the WWF title chaos. 

On 9/28/2016 at 1:08 PM, Raziel403 said:

Contentious Statement:  After watching Survivor Series 94 and the Backlund "I feel like a God" promo, Diesel should've not gotten the title hotshotted to him 3 days later and Backlund should've had a serious run with the "I'm saving you from yourselves" character.  It worked for Bret later a couple years, but holy shit that Backlund promo was the promise of something that never came.

Yep. In the greater context of how disappointing the rest of 1995 was for all 4 guys (Shawn, Bret, Backlund, Diesel), and how underwhelming the Mania main event was/overshadowed by LT, makes sense.

Could go all sorts of ways with the Rumble from there too (Diesel/Backlund with Shawn costing him the title, only for Diesel to return the favour later in the Rumble, Bret/Backlund title rematch, Backlund going over Luger or Bulldog instead. Diesel replicating 94 Rumble only to eliminate himself to go after Shawn. Diesel winning the Rumble, but choosing to go after Shawn instead, ala Mania 8. Bret winning the title back instead, and then putting Diesel over clean at Mania or KOTR.).

If Shawn turns face the next night anyway, its deserving of a midcard spot and the title is unnecessary.

Thoughts on In Your House 14: Revenge of the Taker

The Undertaker-Mankind feud got a fresh coat of paint with the fireball attack on Raw and the fact that the WWF title was on the line. Taker had a hard time getting his fireball to work in his revenge on Paul Bearer. Mankind gets the MVP award for his crazy headfirst bump through a table. 

The WWF gave the Road Warriors a Dusty finish against Owen and Bulldog to make them feel at home. The LOD also got a title win nullified because they pinned the wrong guy, just so we really know they were the better team.

Just like the WWF made us immediately stop caring about the Blackjacks, the same happened here with Rockabilly. It's just Billy Gunn dressed like The Honky Tonk Man, and he immediately lost to Jesse James. Speaking of the Roadie, the fans liked his singing but did not care a bit about his wrestling.

Which Nation member was dumber: Crush for heart-punching Rocky Maivia on the floor, or Savio Vega standing in the ring while Rocky was counted out so he couldn't win the IC title? No wonder they needed a leader. But a few months later, they would both lead their own stables!

I think Bret vs. Sid was supposed to happen here in the fallout of the WM 13 main event, but instead we got another Bret-Austin match. That's not a bad thing, despite the DQ finish, as these who had a "Fight Forever" vibe together.

WrestleMania 11 was NOT a good show, although Bigelow really doesn't get enough credit for the carry job he did with LT.

There's a fuckton of humor I never realized when they opened the show with Luger and Bulldog teaming up as the Allied Powers facing the Harris Twins.

• Like 2

On October 7, 2016 at 0:22 PM, Raziel403 said:

WrestleMania 11 was NOT a good show, although Bigelow really doesn't get enough credit for the carry job he did with LT.

There's a fuckton of humor I never realized when they opened the show with Luger and Bulldog teaming up as the Allied Powers facing the Harris Twins.

I had it in mind to rewatch the LT/Bigelow match for the last week or so. Just got done watching it and you're right. It's a damn miracle on par with the Stephanie/Trish match from 01.

LT sticks with what you might expect from a football guy. Whatever he does, he starts in a full to semi 3 point stance. Bigelow accents this by taking those Misawa elbows like a real man and bumping like he got hit by a train. Nit picks go to the heat segment as I think Bammer should of stuck with the Boston Crab idea as that leg move was kind of weak. As was the moonsault.

LT sold the shit out of the finish (or maybe he didn't have to sell) and more than earned his money and respect.

It's basically the worst Wrestlemania. The only other thing I remember about the show was Kid killing Jarrett with a spin kick. I don't really remember much about this era. So it begs the question for a rebooking. What else do you do?

I think Diesel/Shawn from 11 is underrated.

LT/Bigelow sucked and I'm not sure why people go to it as one of the top celebrity/carry matches. WCW had much better football player matches, and Show/Mayweather has been the gold standard for celebrity athlete matches for long enough now that LT/Bigelow should be forgotten.

• 2 weeks later...

Thoughts on In Your House 15: A Cold Day in Hell

Happy Mother's Day, and welcome to A Cold Day in Hell!

The future New Age Outlaws fought each other in the Free For All match, with Rockabilly winning. Why didn't they give him the win when he debuted?

The fans turned on Rocky Maivia and cheered heel Mankind on to victory over him. The Mandible Claw got a big pop.

Booking Ahmed Johnson to wrestle for over 15 minutes in a gauntlet match wasn't a great idea. However, the finish was great. Ahmed looked strong by almost beating the entire Nation, which would have forced them to disband. Faarooq also got the clean pin on Ahmed to move into position for a shot at the Undertaker's title. I will give the MVP award to Ahmed for his Herculean cardio effort.

I appreciate Ken Shamrock and Vader's attempts to do a worked shoot match, but it would have been more realistic (and made Shamrock look stronger) if it didn't go on for more than 12 minutes.

Brian Pillman was so great as a crazy troublemaker. Dean Ambrose should have that character, whether he is a face or heel. Pillman ringing the bell prematurely after Austin gave Undertaker the stunner was just perfect.

Thoughts on King of the Ring 97

Jerry Lawler's piledriver was as weak in the WWF as it was strong in Memphis. He piledrove Mankind on the floor and in the ring, and he still lost.

Owen Hart scored the surprising pin on Sid as the Hart Foundation warmed up for Canadian Stampede with a win over Sid and the Road Warriors. Owen, who was the IC champ at the time, would get an even bigger win one month later.

Before Mankind "made" Triple H as a main eventer, he made HHH here as an upper-midcarder in the KOTR final. If Helmsley had won the crown over Ahmed, Mero or Goldust, it simply wouldn't have been as big of an accomplishment. That's why Mankind is the MVP.

Tag team champions Shawn Michaels and Steve Austin were hilarious after their match against each other. They walked to the back side by side, while keeping a wary eye on each other.

Undertaker beat Faarooq during the great angle in which Paul Bearer had taken over his career (and the WWF title) by holding a "dark family secret" over him. Taker chokeslammed Faarrooq three times before Ahmed put a stop to it. Faarooq had foreshadowed Johnson joining the Nation two months earlier on commentary when he said Ahmed would eventually have to "come home."

Thoughts on In Your House 16: Canadian Stampede

Taka Michinoku totally stole the spotlight from The Great Sasuke. Taka's moves were crisper, and he had a better connection with the crowd. Of course, before the light heavyweights could start, they had to wait for Mankind and Helmsley to stop brawling in the crowd. The WWF didn't exactly embrace the cruiserweight revolution in the 90s.

Undertaker and Vader had a great match for the WWF title that had the crowd going crazy. This match is an underrated gem. At this point, Undertaker had defended the belt against Mankind, Austin, Faarooq and Vader, so whoever would beat Taker would really have accomplished something.

As happy as Brian Pillman was to be welcomed as a hero in Canada, that's how happy Steve Austin was to be a heel again for one night, He had the biggest grin on his face on the way to the ring.

The giant Hart Family celebration would not have worked if it weren't for Bret Hart's years of hard work.  The WWF kept showing clips of fans treating him like a true Canadian hero, and that emotion carried to the other nine wrestlers in the match. The Tyson/DX/Austin/McMahon stuff was the hallmark of the Attitude Era, but it was set up by the US-Canada war, led by this show's MVP, Bret Hart.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gorman said:

Thoughts on In Your House 15: A Cold Day in Hell

Happy Mother's Day, and welcome to A Cold Day in Hell!

The future New Age Outlaws fought each other in the Free For All match, with Rockabilly winning. Why didn't they give him the win when he debuted?

The fans turned on Rocky Maivia and cheered heel Mankind on to victory over him. The Mandible Claw got a big pop.

Booking Ahmed Johnson to wrestle for over 15 minutes in a gauntlet match wasn't a great idea. However, the finish was great. Ahmed looked strong by almost beating the entire Nation, which would have forced them to disband. Faarooq also got the clean pin on Ahmed to move into position for a shot at the Undertaker's title. I will give the MVP award to Ahmed for his Herculean cardio effort.

I appreciate Ken Shamrock and Vader's attempts to do a worked shoot match, but it would have been more realistic (and made Shamrock look stronger) if it didn't go on for more than 12 minutes.

Brian Pillman was so great as a crazy troublemaker. Dean Ambrose should have that character, whether he is a face or heel. Pillman ringing the bell prematurely after Austin gave Undertaker the stunner was just perfect.

I was at this show. Lots of fun. The crowd was vicious when it came to Rocky. I remember the crowd being really into the Ahmed/Farooq match due to the stips. Vader nearly punching Shamrock's face off got a big pop. That was probably the best Austin/Taker match ever.

• Like 1

Rick Rude vs. Lee Peak (NWA World Championship Wrestling, 10/11/1986)

Rick Rude vs. Larry Stephens (NWA World Championship Wrestling, 3/28/1987)

Basic Rude squash matches. Less showboating and posing from Rude. Rude doesn't put a crazy beatdown on these guys, but he does spike them head first with a beautiful Rude Awakening -- DDT.

There's a moustache trio promo after the first squash which is quite interesting with Paul Jones bragging about money and such. Add in Schiavonie and you have a moustache quadruplet.

---

Rick Rude vs. Koko B. Ware (WWF Saturday Night's Main Event, 4/30/1988)

Much different version of Rude here as he is focusing more on playing up his character work to the crowd and getting his gimmick ovrt while bringing up a different arsenal. This also isn't as much of a squash as the previous 2 matches, albeit being very one sided in Rude's favor. Crowd was hot for the entire thing. Short, fun, simple match even though I wish they've given it a little more time and actually given Koko a little more offense to work with.

---

WCW International World Heavyweight Title: Rick Rude (c) vs. Ric Flair (WCW Halloween Havoc 1993, 10/24/1993)

Uninspired effort from both guys, uninteresting, boring, heatless match that seemed to go on forever with a flat finish. Terry Taylor was a special guest enforcer, yet that added nothing to the match honestly. Neither guy really did much here. Rude sold the knee extensively, yet he continuously went up to the top rope to drop double axe handles on Flair which probably took more of a toll on his knee than it did on Flair. The double ref bump and DQ finish felt flat. It's surprising how bad this was as you'd expect a lot more considering the two sides involved in this.

So I decided to randomly watch Survivor Series 93 last nigh and finished it earlier. Hadn't seen it possibly since the mid 90's on my own VHS that i taped  when it was ordered for my birthday when I was like 13. I still remember most of it which is nice I think.

Since I didn't have cable at the time (got to watch it at my uncle's house), how did they explain the switch from The Hart's vs. Lawler & The Knights to Shawn Michael's & The Knights in the week or two before the PPV or was it literally a spur of a moment thing that they did on the the fly to cover up the whole Lawler thing that happened?

I wish if those Radio WWF tapes are in the WWE vault they would put them up as alternate commentary for the PPV's at the time. I'd love to hear Gorilla and Jim Ross call this card. Maybe I should tweet the WWENetwork about that.

Team Bam Bam vs. Team Doink still has to be in the Top 3 if not the worst WWF match of the 90's. I remember being embarrassed watching it back then and even now I was like, "God, who thought any of this was good".

I remember liking Ludvig Borga. I always thought he was gonna be big. Sad he never took off. It was also amazing how many people on the heel team were dead in the main event and Raven/Johnny Polo wasn't one of them.