DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble 2015

Matt D

Anyone in the pro Reigns camp please convince me the triple threat title match would have been anywhere close to as good if Rollins were replaced by Reigns.

The Rumble did have its good moments, Bubba, Boogeyman, DDP, Tyson Kidd and Fandango being featured, Bray carrying the first half......then the second half came, Bryan's elimination, Big Show and Kane's domination and of course the fucking kangaroo court booking of Roman Maivia as the winner. Burning out<fading away

When Cena was rising up as US Champ he was over huge, Reigns has never gotten to that level as a singles wrestler.

Cena was pretty damn lazy and average as US Champ. I actually would say Reigns is better than Cena was during that time.

Yeah I get time lines mixed up but when did Cena face HHH? 2006? It seemed after H did the you can't wrestle schitk fans started turning. Though, I don't think until around 08 that Cena got the we are tired of you being on top go away heat. Yes, Cena is over and will always be but some fans, want him gone(I don't). 

Fans started turning almost immediately after he joined Raw in 05. The Jericho and Angle feuds hurt the hell out of him, especially because they tried to push him like he was Austin. The HHH feud was honestly what allowed them to make it work. The turning on Cena always felt like it was a partial smark issue and an issue of character change as the white boy rapper gimmick got toned down a whole hell of lot

re: Rollins: I'm going to put this in spoiler tags so as not to invoke one shitstorm in the middle of another shitstorm.

I'm serious.

Dude is kind of the guy to beat for March Madness now, right? Evolution Tags, stepping into a top heel spot smoothly, Ambrose feud, Survivor Series, and now this? Like he's the guy. How is he not the guy.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. The triple threat was a great video game match, but March Madness #1 should be made of sterner stuff. I can't imagine putting him ahead of New Japan's big three.

I think the last several years have pretty conclusively proven non-WWE guys don't have a chance.

re: Rollins: I'm going to put this in spoiler tags so as not to invoke one shitstorm in the middle of another shitstorm.

I'm serious.

Dude is kind of the guy to beat for March Madness now, right? Evolution Tags, stepping into a top heel spot smoothly, Ambrose feud, Survivor Series, and now this? Like he's the guy. How is he not the guy.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. The triple threat was a great video game match, but March Madness #1 should be made of sterner stuff. I can't imagine putting him ahead of New Japan's big three.

I would say that the majority of posters don't really watch New Japan. And, quite a few that do strongly dislike Tanahashi and/or Okada.

Zayn and Rollins are probably my favourites to win. 

I'm serious.

EDIT: And yeah Cena/HHH was 06, and Cena/RVD was three months later.

Nothing controversial here. The main dispute is I think this is the year a non WWE main show worker wins the entire thing. Rollins, Lesnar, Rusev, Harper and some others can do damage this year, but NXT has Zayn, New Japan has Nakamura, and so on.

as a percent, how many fans do you think knew that the Rock and Reigns were related?

Reigns being a bit of a CAW hinders him there. We don't "know" that he played football at a high level or that his family has a bunch of wrestlers. How many casual fans know that Reigns is a Samoan?

Reigns right now might be falling into the same box as Shitty Babyface Diesel in 1995. 

• Like 1

I'm fairly certain the reason Bryan went out early was because they wanted the fans to burn out their anger before the match was over, unlike the building crescendo last year that crashed down on Rey-Rey and Batista.

It didn't work.

I still can't get over the fact they brought out New Day right after that, and eliminated Sandow so soon. I mean they fucking knew the fans loved Sandow from the tag match. They couldn't call an audible and let him hang around a little while?

I'm serious.

He's gotta be right there. Especially now that he has a classic match tho hang his hat on that wasn't a six man.

If we ignore quantity and just look quality, Brock has 75% classics.The worst guy Lesnar has been in the ring with since his UFC sabbatical has been a concussed Undertaker, so part of it is that Lesnar has had nothing but good to excellent workers to share the load with.

Lesnar/Bryan would have been such an amazing match.

Next two nights of taping should be fun given the Hoth-levels of snow we shall be getting. Those boos for Reigns will be replaced by the sounds of vendors hocking their wares to the hundreds in attendance....

Cena in early to mid 05 was insanely over. The night he got drafted to RAW is one of the loudest pops I've ever heard.

Backlash started around SummerSlam in the Jericho feud.

And Jericho at the time was basically Eric Bischoff's avatar, as was Angle later. That feud started the whole avalanche of CENA SUCKS.

I always thought the moment the Cena backlash started was when Christian made a random challenge to "Marky Mark" and the fans popped way more than they were supposed to.

I'm serious.

I think the last several years have pretty conclusively proven non-WWE guys don't have a chance.

I think the utter contempt a lot of people are starting to have against this company, and there being a lack of really great years on the main show save Rollins, might open the door a bit.

And a heel turn would do him a world of good. Partially just because somehow the most babyface territory ever has become significantly better at booking heels than faces. Someone else can carry the emotional connection to the crowd stuff, he can bring back the cocky trash talk...

Cena in early to mid 05 was insanely over. The night he got drafted to RAW is one of the loudest pops I've ever heard.

And Jericho at the time was basically Eric Bischoff's avatar, as was Angle later. That feud started the whole avalanche of CENA SUCKS.

I always thought the moment the Cena backlash started was when Christian made a random challenge to "Marky Mark" and the fans popped way more than they were supposed to.

Tomko! Give me a beat! #RoyalRumbleIn5Words

• Like 1

I'm serious.

I would say that the majority of posters don't really watch New Japan. And, quite a few that do strongly dislike Tanahashi and/or Okada.

I think Zayn  has had a better year than Rollins. Zayn or Nakamura should win. I also think Banks should win, but she might not even make the field.

Nakamura is the best guy in New Japan. I hope he comes over to NXT eventually. 

I wonder who the hell fed Reigns the line of "studying some tape" or if he came up with that himself for the Fallout promo.

I mean its just, can you come up with a less badass line like, "I'm going to go home and study some tape!"

Victator, on 26 Jan 2015 - 12:24 AM, said:

In non Reigns news, Wade Barrett looked like shit in the Rumble.

Is there a guy who didn't? Bray is the only one I can think of.

In other non Reigns news Seth Rollins is fucking awesome. I don't see how a guy can go out and hang with Lesnar and Cena like that and not be legit. That table dive and the phoenix splash were the highlights of the show. Brock is just on another level. Reigns beating him would be a fucking joke.

I meant he looked terrible in every way.

This is an interesting point, as Christian not getting the push members of the fanbase seemingly wanted him to have does kinda feel like the start of the "fans being vocal about being annoyed by Cena on top"

I can't really even remember why people turned on Cena during the Jericho and Angle feuds. Were Jericho and Angle even really that over at the time? I do remember people thinking it was crap that Cena was outwrestling Angle. That was a big complaint. Also, crowds were big into Christian at the time too. That three way feud didn't help Cena either.

The biggest issue with Cena was they changed his character. The fake Marine stuff was so awful. He didn't need to rap every week but he lost his edge. Austin and Rock never lost their edge. They simply started fighting heels instead of faces. If Cena would have kept some of that 'cool' factor he would have been even bigger than he is now.

Man, they missed the boat on Captain Charisma in 04-05. Should have had a title feud with Benoit, where he just gets destroyed, then Trish distracts the ref, Tomko gets involved, great segment, rinse repeat until the finish.

And his Cena feud getting Jericho tacked on ugh. Christian was the best act on RAW at the time.

I wonder who the hell fed Reigns the line of "studying some tape" or if he came up with that himself for the Fallout promo.

I mean its just, can you come up with a less badass line like, "I'm going to go home and study some tape!"

"I'M GONNA GO HOME AND WATCH STUFF ON MY PHONE AS I WORK OUT" - there, just wrote that promo.

I'm serious.

I think Zayn  has had a better year than Rollins. Zayn or Nakamura should win. I also think Banks should win, but she might not even make the field.

Nakamura is the best guy in New Japan. I hope he comes over to NXT eventually.

God, there is nobody on the main WWE roster I wouldn't vote Sasha over. She fucking rules.

Don't let Greg hear us say that, it will totally ruin his narrative.

• Like 1