DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAMES (2015 & Beyond)

RIPPA

That was... strange. I get wanting to hype the pegasus-chihuahua that purrs (things I never thought I'd type...), and the puzzle solving, but, like... are there enemies in this game?

Better question: are there more than 6 colors?

If Sony can announce The Last Guardian, FF7 HD Remake AND Shenmue 3 for PS4, then they can revive Beyond Good & Evil 2 and (for the hell of it) Psychonauts 2 at next year's E3.

If they get Gabe Newell to announce Half-Life 3 for PS4 next year, it's over for Microsoft this gen.

Yoshi's Wooly World looks like a lot of fun.  The one thing that's going to make it wildly successful is the goddamn mothafuckin' plush Amiibo that comes with the preorder.  I stress the profanity because it's going to be really fucking hard to preorder let alone find individual Amiibos for this.

Seeing the gameplay you can put certain Amiibos in and it puts their look in for the character.  I was greatly amused by Samus doing what Yoshi does.

I almost posted earlier about how YWW was the first game of the year that managed to lure me into hype mode. Mainly because I think Good Feel are absolutely top notch with these kinds of gigs, but also because I've been waiting a long time for a non-shit Yoshi game after Island.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/90119/e3-2015-battleborn-is-less-moba-and-more-borderlands-than-you-think

"Is Battleborn a MOBA? It's a fair enough question on its face. The upcoming effort from Gearbox Software features a wide cast of playable characters and a progression system that ramps quickly and then resets after each match. It's certainly MOBA-like, and would be easy to miscategorize. After having played it, though, I came away with a different impression. It's as much a MOBA as Borderlands is a dungeon-crawler. And it shares much more in common with that series than anything that League or Dota fans would recognize."

CAN'T FUCKING WAIT.

In other words Big Fresh, if it looks like a MOBA, sounds like a MOBA, plays like a MOBA...well then...it's not a freaking goose. :D

I really don't know how it looks, sounds, or plays like one. To me, a MOBA has two teams, backed up by auto-spawning AI "minions" going through 3 lanes trying to take out each other's turrets to gain land control, and ultimately the other team's base. This is a co-op campaign....

So kind of like Ratchet: Full Frontal Assault, the worst of all Ratchet games not made for PSP? (That was a weird hybrid that took elements of MOBA and tower defense in Ratchet's over-the-shoulder engine. You set up static defenses for the lanes into your base, capture enemy forts to buy upgrades for weapons etc., and play co-op with no minions.) I think that style of play can work, but it really really didn't in FFA, partly because the platforming made it obnoxious to get to the spots you have to capture and partly because you can't "just" destroy the enemy base, after you do you still have to go back and defend yours against a final onslaught.

I'm just talking about the campaign right now, which frankly, is a hell of a lot like Borderlands.

The PvP stuff they've given a few sentences of description of, but we haven't actually seen it yet, so who knows?

And here are those words:

"Multiplayer in Battleborn can be played by up to 10 players in a 5v5 configuration, in Incursion, Devastation, or Meltdown modes.

Incursion pits teams against waves of AI-controlled minions, with teams working to defend their own base while simultaneously trying to destroy the base of their opponents. Devastation is an objective-based team deathmatch, and Meltdown sees teams protect their minions "as they march to their death at the center of the map.""

Again, we need to wait until they show those modes.

• 2 weeks later...

Preordered Godzilla for PS4. It comes out next week, but chances are you haven't seen shit about it because it's getting no coverage.

It looks a little rough in some places but fun as fuck.

I have a preorder down for it too, but I'm thinking of canceling it. There's no local multiplayer! What the shit is that about?

As a general rule, I do not buy videogames that have zero coverage.  It's kind of like going to a movie that hasn't been reviewed before its opening weekend, odds are the game/movie hasn't been reviewed because it would hurt their profits.