DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAMES (2015 & Beyond)

RIPPA

Isn't there some Battlefront info and footage dropping today?

Yes - EA was going to show it off during some sort of fanfest today

The release date was found by looking at the Battlefront web site source code

Sweet. The incy bit of game footage they showed off looks so incredible. The textures for the flora were some of the best I've ever seen and more of what I was expecting out of this console generation's games.

I will say that this game should be a layup. If you do what is the equivalent of a mod for Battlefield 4, then they've done the bare minimum to make the game worth purchasing. I'm just hoping for space battles with X-Wings, B-Wings, Tie Fighters, etc.

So this is "game engine footage" like the first Mortal Kombat trailer, right? I mean, that was fucking sweet but i want to see what we'll actually be playing.

Oh, and no campaign. I haven't played a DICE campaign... ever?

Rather than a traditional solo outing, Battlefront will rely on a set of short missions which can be played alone, or cooperatively via split-screen or online.

"I would say they occupy that space...where you play alone," General Manager of DICE Patrick Bach said. "Or you can play co-op, split screen or on the internet. The game is first and foremost a multiplayer game. Battlefront was a multiplayer game. That’s the game we wanted to create — to recreate the battles of the Original Trilogy."

IGN Article

I'm kinda disappointed you can actually play as Vader, Bona Fett, etc. I'd rather create my own Stormtrooper or Rebel Fighter, and customize their appearance and loadouts. Have those hero characters be A.I. controlled, and they only drop in in the middle of the match to even things out. If you're playing the Empire and getting your ass kicked, the game drops in Vader to keep it close.

But that's nitpicky. I'm in.

2 had a campaign mode that pretty much was the 501st through the battles of the Movies and stuff, although that they were ALL over the place, especially during Order 66 was odd.  And it did have heroes, but you only got to play them for a little bit, in certain missions, or in certain MP stuff.   But said Campaign mode was the same MP engine, just done in a single player mode.

Which made the Battle of Hoth fucking amazing.  Razing the Jedi Temple was neat too.

2 had a campaign mode that pretty much was the 501st through the battles of the Movies and stuff, although that they were ALL over the place, especially during Order 66 was odd. And it did have heroes, but you only got to play them for a little bit, in certain missions, or in certain MP stuff. But said Campaign mode was the same MP engine, just done in a single player mode.

Which made the Battle of Hoth fucking amazing. Razing the Jedi Temple was neat too.

So it's basically Evolve. And that's cool with me!

This MAD MAX game looks pretty good. A game using the ARKHAM fighting engine always has my interest. Customizing your own badass Apocalypsemobile has my interest. If the driving handles decently, I'm sold.

Whoever decided to put this out on the same day as MGS5 should be fired, though.

Yeah, that rocks. A few gripes: why does he look like generic Naughty Dog protagonist? And I'm getting a little tired of the Assassin's Creed/Batman hand-to-hand combat system revolving around a horde of bad guys standing around watching you take them out one by one.

Other than those few quibbles, I'm super impressed. The driving looks really tight and they've captured the Road Warrior feel by the looks of it.