DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAMES (2015 & Beyond)

RIPPA

It's not ignoring XCOM's ending as much as it is embracing the bad ending, where you lose country support and then your benefactors end up under mind control, saying working with the aliens is the best strategy. I love the idea of the bad ending being the canon ending. I love that idea so much. I'm kind of surprised a game hasn't done that before now, but it totally follows that XCOM would.

I love the idea of the bad ending being the canon ending. I love that idea so much. I'm kind of surprised a game hasn't done that before now, but it totally follows that XCOM would.

That works so well for video games now you bring it up. Movies are frequently having the problem of having to resurrect villains or otherwise having to bring previously victorious heroes crashing back into a state of vulnerability for sequels, often stretching credibility when coupled with the need for increased stakes. Games meanwhile don't need to stick to the script to let the consumers come out happy, and if the canon storyline is based off of bad outcomes then it is logical for the next entry to present a bigger threat being the culmination of prior ones.

Terminator 2 seems like the kind of plot that would fit as a late entry in a Deus Ex-like game series. Game one is trying to stop an AI (Skynet/Helios) from getting power --canon failure-> Game two is the player character JC (John Conner / Denton) trying to organise and gather a resistance force in the resulting post-robocalyptic world --canon success-> man versus machine war is under way, the tide is starting to turn and mankind makes the push to win --canon failure-> both sides send soldiers types back in time and the player controls Gunther Hermann trying to outwit someone with augmentations that work properly.

No one will ever convince me that the bad ending for KoToR isn't the real one (everything from rescuing Bastilla fromMalak to the end). It sets up the second game just too well. It doesn't help that Bastilla's speech about why the Jedi screwing you over was bullshit makes too much damn sense.

No one will ever convince me that the bad ending for KoToR isn't the real one (everything from rescuing Bastilla fromMalak to the end). It sets up the second game just too well. It doesn't help that Bastilla's speech about why the Jedi screwing you over was bullshit makes too much damn sense.

Nobody will ever convince me of that either, mainly because it's probably my favorite ending to any game, ever.

Rainbow Six is probably the one tactical shooter series that doesn't piss me off and I've actually enjoyed from time to time over the years. I can't really think of a point where the series just jumped off a cliff somewhere, so I'm fine with them finding new gimmicks and pumping out a new one every couple of years.

Just saw that there's going to be a remaster of Resident Evil 0 on Steam (though not available until early 2016). Actually will think about picking that up. When 0 was a GameCube exclusive a few people might have missed it, but at least in my opinion it was one of the highlight games of that system and I think it's cool it will see the light of day again.

• Like 1

That trailer for The Last Guardian is...not good. You've got the fake language dialogue - which I detest in games, in general. You've got the kid saying the same phrase over and over though it's obviously supposed to have different meanings each time. There's a distinct lack of color. And the whole thing just looks...low res. Like that looks like a mid-life PS3 game not a PS4 title. Put that against Uncharted 4, for example - they look like they're running on completely different hardware. And the gameplay shown just looks incredibly boring.