DVDVR Message Board

NXT 2015 THREAD

RIPPA

Joe/Owens DQ or double count out would be just fine.

Joe would be the most over dude in NXT on day one, Gregg. Main roster? That would take a while, but he is in that first class of really big Indy stars with Punk, Bryan, Styles etc etc.. You best believe the NXT crowd would lose their minds.

Wait, someone said the NXT crowd needs a video package to debut Samoa Joe? 90% of the people who will be in the crowd at Takeover A) know who Samoa Joe is, B) already know about Zayn's injury, and C) have already considered the possibility of plugging Joe into the title match and they think it's a great idea.

• Like 1

If they hadn't used Adam Rose so recently, they could have popped a big one for Ray Lappan after that E:60 special.

You know, a feud with Owens could be just the thing to transition from party boy Adam Rose to the lethal hunter Leo Kruger.

I have some doubts that the general NXT audience actually saw the E:60 special.

Ok, between this and Gregg thinking the NXT crowd wouldn't know who Samoa Joe is, I have to ask whether some of you have confused the NXT audience with the Disney/MGM crowds at Worldwide tapings.

• Like 8

I have some doubts that the general NXT audience actually saw the E:60 special.

Ok, between this and Gregg thinking the NXT crowd wouldn't know who Samoa Joe is, I have to ask whether some of you have confused the NXT audience with the Disney/MGM crowds at Worldwide tapings.

I mainly say that because I haven't seen it yet. You're right though. These guys probably saw it first second they could just to see if maybe a flash of their faces made it in a crowd scene.

As for Joe, I think Gregg's point is that it would be narratively unsatisfying because Joe isn't established as an entity in the NXT world in the way that Neville or Cesaro or Regal are, let alone guys like Balor or Breeze.

Of course Joe would instantly be over with the crowd. Any single person they weren't expecting that's not a main roster guy would be. Jimmy Yang, Shane Helms, Shelton Benjamin, Magnus. King Kong Bundy. Road Warrior Animal. Kelly Kelly. The crowd would go nuts for any of those guys just because it was a surprise and they're nerds. That doesn't make it narratively satisfying. 

Steen's turn at the end of his first NXT special mattered because they had built him up for works and because they had highlighted the personal story on screen. NXT is very much about sustained storytelling over time. Having a surprise for the sake of a surprise goes against that on some level.

• Like 1

NXT is very much about sustained storytelling over time. Having a surprise for the sake of a surprise goes against that on some level.

No shit Joe coming out wouldn't fit a previously-established narrative. The previously-established narrative went out the window when Sami's arm got fucked. It's not "having a surprise for the sake of a surprise", it's "having a surprise because this chapter in our sustained storytelling has been interrupted by a freak injury and we've got to plug SOMETHING in so let's plug something in that pops the crowd and doesn't fuck the long-term story over."

• Like 1

NXT is very much about sustained storytelling over time. Having a surprise for the sake of a surprise goes against that on some level.

No shit Joe coming out wouldn't fit a previously-established narrative. The previously-established narrative went out the window when Sami's arm got fucked. It's not "having a surprise for the sake of a surprise", it's "having a surprise because this chapter in our sustained storytelling has been interrupted by a freak injury and we've got to plug SOMETHING in so let's plug something in that pops the crowd and doesn't fuck the long-term story over."

Except for they've been talking to Joe for months so they had some other idea of how to debut him in mind, one that doesn't immediately give away some version of Joe vs Owens, so yeah, it DOES kind of fuck the long-term story over.

Another option would be Jericho.

I actually think feeding a semi-active "legend" (sorry for the scare quotes, but I assumed someone would call me out on just writing that out with no other notation) like Jericho to Owens would be fine. Owens killing Jericho in about ten minutes with a couple pop-up powerbombs would be nice for the former.

Guy who CLAIMS to fight for his family vs guy who actually does fight for his family would be cool

This would be a great angle.

Have Owen come out with a promo putting down Zayn and alluding to how the powers-that-be are rushing to get Samoa Joe to replace him then have Owen put himself over, how he's driven by his family and nobody in the back can beat him because of it.

Cue Leo Kruger's music and have him come out. Tweak Kruger's character a bit, wholesale ripoff Deadshot if they must. And keep Kruger in NXT and Rose on RAW/SD.

I know Joe would be over. But here's the thing: I know next-to-nothing about the guy. I know he was an indie darling and went to TNA. That's about it. I'm also way past "OH MY GOD THAT IS SHOCKING!" type 90s booking. It was alright at times, but then the two most watched cable programs in the world were rival wrestling shows on at the same time. And then a third show (ECW) was nationally syndicated. It was a ratings and attention battle.

NXT doesn't live in that same world. NXT serves a different purpose. It's for a niche audience of nerds like us. They have our attention.

Could a shock Joe win work? Yes. But they still need to tell a story beyond LEGEND SHOWS UP! Owens is a smug cheapshot artist who loves short cuts.He tried to worm his way out of a rematch against Sami. Why would he take on some dude from elsewhere who just randomly shows up? Why would Regal -- who has been aghast at Owens' behavior -- allow someone else to take a shortcut of this magnitude?

If they have a good narrative around that, then it would work. But just throwing a dude to take on Owens without any set-up is pretty much the opposite of why NXT rules.

Owens has to defend his title cuz Regal's the boss and he says so, and if Owens wants to argue some more, Regal's old buddy Hunter will explain it to him in "do it or your fired" terms, Regal wants Joe to do it cuz he fucking hates Owens, and who says Joe'd win?

As for where they go with Joe, there's any number of ways: Owens wins clean(-ish) and Joe has to deal with being someone in the latter stages of his career who is taking one last shot to make the big jump. Owens is desperate and goes for the cheap DQ to save his title, and now Joe's chasing him while Zayn recovers. Zayn comes out with a chair, lays them both out and says "Screw you, /I'M/ the one that's gonna take down Owens!" and now it's a three (or four-way, factoring in the #1 contender) feud.

Why is it some people have this weird belief that NXT, one of the most well-run wrestling shows in history, is incapable of dealing with the need to change their plans, and that anything they do along those lines will somehow sink the ship? Seriously, just because NXT doesn't make a habit of booking on the fly, doesn't mean they don't have that club in their bag.