DVDVR Message Board

NXT 2015 THREAD

RIPPA

The non wrestling stuff this week was really great highlighted by the Owens sit down interview with Cole. I can honestly say I'm looking forward to every match at Takeover.

• Like 1

I watched this show, and I have to start by saying something that I'm sure people will find hyperbolic or just flat out ridiculous, but I definitely believe this.

That Kevin Owens sitdown with Michael Cole was the best piece of character development I've seen out of this company in a long time. Cole was actually pretty good here, but Owens trying to hide behind the shield of "doing this for my family" and getting more irate that Cole wanted to focus on Zayn instead of on how he was a heck of a dude was just so well done. Even little things like pushing his Twitter (where he has done things like shown pics of his kid holding the belt) were implicitly Owens's goal to show how much of a family man he is and that it's all about him. Yet, his irritation with getting no respect because Sami, Sami, Sami! was perfectly played by him. Getting upset about Cole not congratulating him and about Renee Young asking him about Sami right after he won the title are really excellent mentions. They play right into the very, very long memory that would cause him to do something like try multiple times to ring powerbomb a dude for challenging him about Sami Zayn months after the initial incident.

I also got the sense, and maybe this is just me, that Owens complimenting Cole on his work on RAW and then immediately breaking eye contact and snapping his neck subtly indicated two things: First, that he was lying about his admiration for cole, thus the breaking of eye contact, but second, that he perceived Cole as a guy he'd like to fuck up, Alex Riley-style, but that was too above him for that to be possible so he'd just snap his neck as a coping mechanism to avoid grabbing Cole by his tie and choking him until his eyes popped out. 

If in like a year, when Owens is on the big show, he randomly beats up Cole and then alludes to this interview, I will claim that I'm right about this.

Anyway, I find Owens utterly captivating in every way at this point. I can't take my eyes off the screen whenever he shows up. He's got the perfect veneer of civility that just barely hides the sociopathic urges that lurk within him going, Patrick Bateman style. I'm totally the stereotype of the internet wrestling fan idiot who would run the company bankrupt building around Zayn/Owens as the new Rock/Austin. 

The rest of the show was really fun, too. Zayn's first lines in his response interview including the phrase "Kevin's a liar" was perfect. Looking forward to Owens having a meltdown over Zayn questioning his decency as a father and maybe actually admitting that he hates Sami's guts. Hopefully they showed the Zayn-getting-injured stuff because it's not that bad and he'll be able to work through things.

Emma destroying Charlotte's leg was totally my favorite in-ring thing to happen, and that's not low praise on what was an angle-heavy show. She's trying to get the apathetic-toward-the-fans, vicious-toward-opponents balance down right now, and she took a big step forward this week.

Glad we're moving on to the Alex Riley heel turn already whenever he comes back. 

Dana Brooke is still cosplaying as a wrestler character-wise as opposed to being her character, but she's raw. 

Itami/Breeze: NXT's answer to Kofi/Ziggler! I feel like Breeze is about ready to be called up. 

If Sami can't go, should they slot Becky/Sasha in the main?

Have Breeze/Balor/Itami occur 3rd to last, Owens runs out after the match is over to start the match against the winner. Then you have Team BAE close out the show.

Have Breeze/Balor/Itami occur 3rd to last, Owens runs out after the match is over to start the match against the winner. Then you have Team BAE close out the show.

Itami's out now too. 

I think the solution is to run Owens vs Cesaro. 

Are we absolutely sure Regal can't wrestle?

• Like 1

Itami's out now too. 

I think the solution is to run Owens vs Cesaro. 

Are we absolutely sure Regal can't wrestle?

Regal can. He's selling the beating that Cesaro gave him as retiring him.

I sorta love Dana Brooks now? She's a total idiot in her promos. She's like the dude in college who hangs out at the gym all the time, eats a lot of tuna in the dining hall, and corners you at parties and talks about how much he can bench while everyone rolls their eyes. And she uses the word "whack" in 2015 and is upset she's not in a Tapout commercial. Perfect. I love the dismissive pat on the head she did, too.

There are plenty of talented wrestlers in Japan in their mid 20's that they could have signed - Kento Miyahara, Zack Sabre Jr, Mascara Dorada etc. Signing banged up 34 year old KENTA always felt like a lazy move to me.

Balor is another guy who'll be 34 soon and is probably banged up too.

I think they'll bring someone over from the main roster to replace Sami, Cesaro is a good shout given his history in NXT and the match will be great, storyline purposes Regal works, so does Riley (also injured, although I'm not sure if it's a shoot or not). I suppose they do throw out surprises during these specials, RVD could come in, Jericho? (ugh). This really sucks, I was looking forward to this show a lot.

Just saw rumors that Zayn might be out 2-3 months. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck. Regal can't wrestle after fusion surgery, either. 

My dream scenario that will never happen: Owens says he doesn't have to put the title up now because he hurt Zayn so bad that it led to his injury happening eventually, so Cena shows up and says that he doesn't agree with Owens disrespecting a fighter like Zayn after seeing what heart Zayn had right in person on RAW, and we get Cena/Owens, and my pants come COMPLETELY off.

• Like 1