DVDVR Message Board

NXT 2015 THREAD

RIPPA

Dude, the NXT crowd knew who Owens was before he even debuted. They fucking know who Joe is. IF they instantly debuted him that crowd will EXPLODE. I doubt it's gonna happen, but it'd be awesome.

You do know they ran video packages of Owens for a good month or two before he debuted, right?

So explain the crowd going nuts when KENTA came up on the screen for the first time then? It's obviously a smark heavy crowd.

And if you're on the internet, talking about pro-wrestling on a daily basis, and don't know anything about Samoa Joe, you need to get out.

• Like 2

You could simply have Owens bully someone again and have Joe run out to make a save and have a brawl instead of a match up.  That way you can still have a match where Owens goes over against an incidental piece, still get the pop from Joe and start the build from there rather than pay it off immediately.

Why is it some people have this weird belief that NXT, one of the most well-run wrestling shows in history, is incapable of dealing with the need to change their plans, and that anything they do along those lines will somehow sink the ship? Seriously, just because NXT doesn't make a habit of booking on the fly, doesn't mean they don't have that club in their bag.

They've got the club. I rather they not use it. I'd rather that instead of hotshotting a Joe match, we don't get it until we have three months of build, because that's a luxury I'm used to out of NXT, and personally, I don't think they need to necessarily resort to it, perhaps because they're quite well-run and can come up with another solution.

Guy who CLAIMS to fight for his family vs guy who actually does fight for his family would be cool

This would be a great angle.

Have Owen come out with a promo putting down Zayn and alluding to how the powers-that-be are rushing to get Samoa Joe to replace him then have Owen put himself over, how he's driven by his family and nobody in the back can beat him because of it.

Cue Leo Kruger's music and have him come out. Tweak Kruger's character a bit, wholesale ripoff Deadshot if they must. And keep Kruger in NXT and Rose on RAW/SD.

So everybody watched the E:60 special, but missed the part where basically everyone in management buried the Leo Kruger character.

That dude is never coming back.

So explain the crowd going nuts when KENTA came up on the screen for the first time then? It's obviously a smark heavy crowd.

They did the same with KENTA. Not saying the crowd isn't smark heavy, but lets not deny that WWE actually did some promoting to make sure people knew of KENTA and Steen before they debuted. Same with Balor.

I don't think they'll run an Owens/Joe match if Joe debuts. I could see a short match between Zayn and Owens where Zayn goes against doctors orders, and gets murdered only for Joe to come out and stop the carnage.

As for where they go with Joe, there's any number of ways: Owens wins clean(-ish) and Joe has to deal with being someone in the latter stages of his career who is taking one last shot to make the big jump. Owens is desperate and goes for the cheap DQ to save his title, and now Joe's chasing him while Zayn recovers. Zayn comes out with a chair, lays them both out and says "Screw you, /I'M/ the one that's gonna take down Owens!" and now it's a three (or four-way, factoring in the #1 contender) feud.

You're not wrong in general, but a three or four way feud would be a really, really unsatisfying payoff to the Zayn-Owens story.

And if you're on the internet, talking about pro-wrestling on a daily basis, and don't know anything about Samoa Joe, you need to get out.

Samoa Joe hasn't done anything relevant in nearly a decade. The NXT crowd would certainly recognize him, but I think some here are overestimating the impact that him debuting vs. Owens would have. I'd hope that the people in charge would have a better plan for his debut.

Samoa Joe hasn't done anything relevant in nearly a decade. 

Yeah, except for being on national TV and PPV every week.  Joe would blow the roof of the place.  Hands down.  

I'll let you try to pretend Samoa Joe's run in TNA was relevant if you really want to, but I already conceded that he'd pop the crowd. I'm just not sure that he'd be the best choice when long-term booking is taken into account.

• Like 1

Samoa Joe hasn't done anything relevant in nearly a decade. 

Yeah, except for being on national TV and PPV every week.  Joe would blow the roof of the place.  Hands down.  

I'll let you try to pretend Samoa Joe's run in TNA was relevant if you really want to, but I already conceded that he'd pop the crowd. I'm just not sure that he'd be the best choice when long-term booking is taken into account.

The problem with "long-term booking" and "NXT" is that, no matter how good the show is, it's still developmental. Because of that, there has to be more shorter term booking to the point of hotshotting. Best case, booking for a tomorrow that may never come is a problem (and indeed, NXT had the precedent there when they used Owens vs. Zayn at NXT Rival in Owens's third match). Worst case- booking long-term will never work, since taking any big NXT dream match to its logical conclusion means no dream match in NXT should ever happen until both wrestlers are on the WWE main roster so WWE can get its fullest advantage from it. 

Update: my girl REALLY doesn't like wrestling.

I've been married for 20 years to a woman who hates wrestling. It can work....if you believe in the power of love...and more than one tv in the house...

• Like 2

Thought it was intersting how they dubbed in Sami talking about how he was injured against Cena on RAW, but that he will still be at Takeover and the match will still happen. It was a very obvious dub as the sound didn't sound anything like when they went back to the live audio from Sami's mic

Update: my girl REALLY doesn't like wrestling.

I've been married for 20 years to a woman who hates wrestling. It can work....if you believe in the power of love...and more than one tv in the house...

Ha.  Very true.  The DVR also helps.  For every hour of wrestling I watch, my wife watches 3 hours of the Real Housewives of Someplace.    

• Like 1

The dub in the Sami/Owens promo was pretty obvious, but this means that Zayn will be there. I doubt he wins the match, but I think it will be a good one.

How was Itami injured? I just keep on hearing that he's hurt, but there was no mention of it last night.

I now, more than ever, believe that Carmella will turn on Enzo and Cass. There really is no way around it at this point. I do like that Blake/Murphy is doing the Chris Jericho hair tribute thing in 2015, (I have no idea which one is which)

Tyler Breeze as the unlikely babyface going after Kevin Owens would be a fun thing. How can someone so self absorbed become a champion of the people?

Oh, and that Rhyno/Corbin segment was the bee's knees. Corbin has a future as an unstoppable heel, and Rhyno is always great when given something to do.