DVDVR Message Board

NXT 2015 THREAD

RIPPA

I was digging everything about Riley then the bell rang. Dude cuts a great emotional promo that ends with him raging(lol), he comes out and nearly takes a few fans' arms off with high fives, and starts the match laying in a fucking headlock. I could see something there if he got some better offense.

I liked what I saw from Cass and Enzo. Big Cass needs to continue to bring the intensity and be the hoss cleanup hitter for the team. Enzo just needs to watch Ricky Morton matches.

Women's match went a little long for what they're capable of, but if Bliss keeps improving they really have something there. I'm looking forward to seeing if she can step it up against the top of the division.

Breeze/Itami was the old one guy dominates 90% of the time and loses to keep both guys strong match that I'm not crazy about. Breeze needed the win though.

Yeah, NXT has had issues with those types of matches unless they're outright squashes. I don't think that was necessarily Riley's fault. I just hope that him and Owens actually have it out in a brawl instead of a straight-up match, but I don't know if NXT would go that route.

This episode of NXT really worked for me. I highly enjoyed it. 

I know that smarter and more insightful people than me have mentioned this, but doing one hour a week really helps this show out because when people wrestle, it feels special. One might go two, three, maybe even four weeks between seeing a favorite wrestler. Absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that, and when they do show up, you get amped.

Another evident thing people talk about is how no one buys false finishes anymore unless the match is a WWE-main-event-style finisher-spammer. I thought about that as Itami kicked out of Breeze's Supermodel Kick. I wish they would set up a tiered system where signature moves can take out mid- and lower-carders and occasionally take out an upper-carder. If Breeze had beaten Adam Rose with the Supermodel Kick last week, I would have been able to buy it as a potential finish instead of waiting for the kickout. 

Anyway, this was the best Itami/Breeze match so far. They have wonderful chemistry together. 

Alex Riley should never be a heel again. Terrible heel, but cut a hell of a fired-up white meat babyface promo tonight. If he's going to use the Blockbuster, maybe someone in the back who is a Boondocks fan will successfully get it renamed "Riley Wuz Here."

Big Cass saying "Fuck it, we're winning this thing" might have been my favorite part of the night. Those guys have their characters down pat in the ring. Enzo talks shit, dances around, and then gets his ass kicked until the big man takes over and bails him out. 

I thought some of Alexa Bliss's higher-end stuff looked a bit off, but other stuff she did looked fluid. Carmella was kinda lost on offense sometimes, I thought, but she's learning and was fine for where she's at right now. She should definitely amp up the dirty moves, though, as a shitheaded Jersey girl who fights dirty in alleyways for fun after she's off her hairdressing gig. More eye pokes, eye rakes, back rakes, crotch kicks, and pulling faces around by the nose, please. 

EDIT: Oh yeah, that dumb Geico bit by Enzo and Cass had me laughing. It was the right mixture of corny, yet funny. 

It's so frustrating seeing people come off like a million bucks on those raw, post-show interviews posted on the youtube channel and know that until something drastic changes the majority of fans will not see them. They talk about the reality era, well that stuff is reality. Fuuuuuck.

They've made me care about Owens vs Riley.

Scratch that, Riley has made me care about Owens vs Riley.

In 2015.

So who's been in his ear, training him, brookside, regal and albert? Cos if so, give them pay rises, now...

So who's been in his ear, training him, brookside, regal and albert? Cos if so, give them pay rises, now...

Bill Demott.

I enjoyed tonight's episode. This is the second or 3rd time The Lucha Dragons have appeared on NXT and were dumped on by the crowd by a more entertaining team. LD has it in the ring, but nothing else. They barely get promo time and don't really get to show anything outside of pumping their arms in the ring while screaming 'Lucha!'. I feel LD are stuck in 2nd gear which suchs as Kalisto can promo and if WWE needs some 'assistance' in giving LD an edge to them- Lucha Underground is RIGHT THERE to pick from.

This is the first time I've seen Alex Bliss (new?) finisher. A very interesting twist (no pun) on a moonsault. Doesn't look impactful at all due Bliss' size, but it looks good. Reminds me of Sean O'Haire soft, but sweet looking, Senton from the top rope. I am not sure what's going on in WWE but it seems that women with pancake butts are doing something different. First it was Paige and now its Alexa Bliss. I'm not complaining of course.

What's the end game with Riley? He loses to Owens and then what? Floats back to the commentary team and in 8 months it will be like this all never happened? Or does Riley continue forward while receiving smaller and smaller pops? One thing that crossed my mind tonight was how awful Riley's gear looked. I don't understand why wrestlers do that. You have YEARS OFF and are making a big return to TV/PPV and you choose the worse looking gear. Riley wearing the laced kickpads of a 12 year old girl was something else.

Will we see Cesaro/Bàlor from Columbus at some point or was that just a house show?

Apparently it was filmed for a future DVD release. Maybe "Best of NXT" or something like that?

Maybe for the Finn Balor before he was a star match on his DVD.  Or the Rise and Fall of Cesaro DVD.

5cde84d1c326116c8e8748ac9e4b7093.jpg

• Like 1

WWE NXT will invade the Northeast very, very soon.

PWInsider.com has confirmed with multiple sources that NXT has a hold with the 2300 (formerly ECW) Arena in Philadelphia, PA for two dates, Friday 5/15 and Saturday 5/16.

It would only be the second time WWE has run the legendary independent wrestling venue as the inaugural house show from WWE's 2006 revival of ECW was held there, headlined by Rob Van Dam vs. Kurt Angle with Dean Malenko as the guest referee and Tommy Dreamer vs. The Big Show on top.

Around that same time period, WWE also looking into the idea of purchasing the historic venue with the idea of converting it into a permanent training center and home for the new ECW, although that idea never got past the initial talking stages.

The timing of the NXT shows would make the Arena the capital for professional wrestling that week as New Japan Pro Wrestling and Ring of Honor are running the venue on Tuesday 5/12 and Wednesday 5/13. The Wednesday event is already sold out and the Tuesday event is well on it's way.

Triple H announced during a media conference call prior to the WWE NXT Takeover Rival special on the WWE Network that he intended to take NXT and make it a regular touring brand following it's incredible success with live events in Ohio that sold out almost immediately with no promotion beyond social media.

!!!

• Like 1

What's the end game with Riley? He loses to Owens and then what? Floats back to the commentary team and in 8 months it will be like this all never happened? Or does Riley continue forward while receiving smaller and smaller pops? One thing that crossed my mind tonight was how awful Riley's gear looked. I don't understand why wrestlers do that. You have YEARS OFF and are making a big return to TV/PPV and you choose the worse looking gear. Riley wearing the laced kickpads of a 12 year old girl was something else.

Riley jobs to Owens, shows up on the main roster after Mania. Teams with Sandow to take on Miz and Curtis Axel.

I wish they'd free Kallisto of the heat vacuum that is Sin Cara. I'd love to just watch him.

And I don't really care whathtey do with Riley, as long as he gets to keep his theme song. Glorious.

It looks like they are also creating a house show on Friday during Wrestlemania weekend.    They haven't announced when the show is but I would be shocked if the show isn't running head to head with the EVOLVE show that night.  Which I have tickets for.  If I knew we were going to get a NXT show during the weekend I could have worked around it.   

EDIT:  Actually I think Ring of Honor Supercard of Honor is on Friday as well as EVOLVE

Go to the Chicago area dammit!

They could always...come to....Idaho....

Fuck.

Never mind...

If they ever come to Seattle, I will buy you a ticket myself if you supply the trans and drive/bus/Amtrak(?) on over. Poor guy. 

Go to the Chicago area dammit!

They could always...come to....Idaho....

Fuck.

Never mind...

If they ever come to Seattle, I will buy you a ticket myself if you supply the trans and drive/bus/Amtrak(?) on over. Poor guy. 

DEAL! Offer a starving man a mean and he'll jump. Shit, I'll drive myself if it's an actual wrestling show.