DVDVR Message Board

NXT 2015 THREAD

RIPPA

I liked Crowe's little promo. Becky/Bayley was awesome and an easy MOTN. Becky just needs to find the right character she has everything else. That submission transition was sick, and needs to be her finish going forward. Loved the Rhyno promo. Note to self don't let Brian Kendrick tiger suplex me. Owens/Riley stuff felt 100% real, and it's something NXT does so well.

Kevin Owens just did what everyone has been wanting to do to Alex Riley for years! It was glorious! I need that gif!

Becky/Bayley was a very good li'l 5 minute match. I think, other than the awkward headbanging and devil horn shit, Becky is starting to find her stride in NXT. 

Kevin Owens just did what everyone has been wanting to do to Alex Riley for years! It was glorious! I need that gif!

Becky/Bayley was a very good li'l 5 minute match. I think, other than the awkward headbanging and devil horn shit, Becky is starting to find her stride in NXT.

It being awkward and not fitting is part of the gimmick though. She's a poser.

LOL at Kevin Steen proving how much of an antihero face that he is by punking Alex Riley.

Becky Lynch and Bayley have very good chemistry and should wrestle each other for the next couple of months. Just have Bayley have to figure out how to beat Becky and stop getting caught by submissions, then work her way back up through Charlotte and finally Sasha after that. I feel like Lynch didn't start getting comfy in the ring until she started wrestling Bayley more often.

By the way, Lynch pointing and yelling IN YOUR FACE, IN YOUR FACE, IN YOUR FACE at fans in the crowd after she won made me laugh. 

I hope a feud with Tyler Breeze can likewise help Itami settle and find his comfort spot. 

I think they should run Corbin/Rhyno or Corbin/Kendrick at some point to help Corbin settle in. He's a big man, so I always know they take until about their late 30s to gestate and get really good, so I have patience with him.

• Like 1

Alex Riley has some odd, unique gift.

The only two times in his career he hasn't been completely worthless are in spots when he has to stick up for himself. He was wonderful when he broke up with The Miz and tore him apart. And he was great -- GREAT -- in this segment tonight.

The announcers did such a good job in reacting to Kevin Owens. Owens came off like the heartless monster he truly is. Riley calling KO out for his actions against Sami was great and so well-delivered. Alex delivered it with a weird nervousness -- he knows KO is a beast and he hasn't wrestled in years, but a man has to be a man no matter what happens.

The best is KO really getting the wheels turning. He didn't have to say anything except with his eyes -- He was going to humiliate Riley at some point, but on his terms. And he saw a way to do that while also trying to get in Finn's head, too, by ragdolling Riley to the floor and staring down his future opponent.

Owens is so, so, so great as this ruthless, cutthroat, manipulative bully. He reminds me so much in the ring of Vader. But his out-of-ring actions really remind me more of heel Eddie Guerrero, circa the Rey feud. He says so much with just his eyes and subtle verbal ticks and mannerisms.

Is being an annoying poser something that's going to get Becky over? If that's the idea, it seems like a really bad one.

The best part of the awkward announcing bit was when Owens was just staring holes through the back of Riley's head and Riley knew he was doing it, so he turned his body even more away from the glare of death. It was perfect. My only problem was it took the tv audience out of the match but in the long-term, building up Owens' character is more important than a match with Kendrick in 2015.

Is being an annoying poser something that's going to get Becky over? If that's the idea, it seems like a really bad one.

The best part of the awkward announcing bit was when Owens was just staring holes through the back of Riley's head and Riley knew he was doing it, so he turned his body even more away from the glare of death. It was perfect. My only problem was it took the tv audience out of the match but in the long-term, building up Owens' character is more important than a match with Kendrick in 2015.

I loved how they managed to do both. It's very Owens -- He managed to put all the focus on himself, because he's so ridiculously self-centered. This started right from the beginning, when he said he respected Finn and talked about how one one believes him when he says that. He also showed his character by ripping on Finn for not attacking Hendrieck doing the faux-ankle sprain. "That's a gift." Then he left so he didn't do something he was going to regret, which we all knew was a lie. 

But by leaving like that, the announcers got to refocus on Finn and Kendrick and talk about that match.

Then KO comes back and reminds everyone who is the champion.

It's also a really clever use of the Full Sail Arena set-up. "Bad guy threatens and assaults announcer" is a fairly common trope. But at Raw (or Nitro)... You can't do the "I'm going to walk away" break since you'd have to walk 5,000 feet to the locker room before launching the attack. But in NXT, it's just a few paces to the locker room and a few paces back.

The best part of the awkward announcing bit was when Owens was just staring holes through the back of Riley's head and Riley knew he was doing it, so he turned his body even more away from the glare of death. It was perfect.

Absolutely.  Brian Kendrick usually is an automatic fast forward for me, but I'm glad I watched that match last night.   Alex Riley is one of those guys where he is either very good or very annoying.  He reminds me in a way of Matt Striker in that he knows what works but usually comes off like he's trying too hard and goes over the top.  But when Riley is more subdued he is great.  Last night was an example of that.  

Owens is fast becoming my favorite guy in the entire company. I can't think of anyone else more interesting to watch both in and out of the ring. I liked that Balor cut down on some of the mannerisms for his non paint entrance(like not crawling down the ramp). Also Tyler Breeze was awesome as usual. They need a secondary tv title in NXT, and let Breeze have a run with it.

Owens is fast becoming my favorite guy in the entire company. I can't think of anyone else more interesting to watch both in and out of the ring. I liked that Balor cut down on some of the mannerisms for his non paint entrance(like not crawling down the ramp). Also Tyler Breeze was awesome as usual. They need a secondary tv title in NXT, and let Breeze have a run with it.

Yeah, the Balor entrance was way more tolerable this time. I like that he has music cues to do his arms thing the fans do with him. It's really dramatic music, but he toned it down a lot.

I still wish they'd differentiate Finn Balor and FACEPAINT FINN in-ring somehow. They don't have to give him a completely different moveset. They just have to give him a few different things, like a different finisher.

That match was the most I've enjoyed Finn so far. I was never much of a Brian Kendricks fan -- decent shtick, but it never clicked for me for some reason. But I really liked Finn a ton in this.

Becky/Bayley was really good. That was a nice, tight match. Becky Lynch is almost completely figuring out her character and incorporate her character's shtick into what she does in the ring. She's got Sasha Banks and Bayley to figure that out with, and they're really awesome at doing just that.

Tyler Breeze rules. I loved him trying to set up the selfie stick with Itami in the background. I wish that was set up just a bit better -- like Breeze did that to at least one person he beat before hand so you know that's his new gloating taunt. Or I wish Itami stood up and did a wave or something and Breeze sold his fear a lot more. Good segment but I wish it was a bit tighter.

Kendrick almost broke Finn's neck on that tiger suplex.  How bout we NOT let part-timers try dangerous shit on the future cash cows.  

I did mark when they cut back to commentary like 45 seconds after Riley stood up to Owens and he was still getting a death stare.  

the kevin owens gimmick is just "if larry bird was a wrestler"

I approve, to be clear

Perfect.