DVDVR Message Board

2015 TNA DISCUSSION THREAD

Like, I look on this board...it doesn't seem terribly different from any other group of guys in their 20s/30s/40s that watch other sports or anything else. 

This board is not representative of the majority of wrestling fans.  Go read the comments on any wrestling newz site and you'll begin to understand that the majority of fans are fucking morons and that these network ad people are 100% correct.  If you're not the typical wrestling fan, congratulations are in order.  But you can't say, "well I'm not a dumb hick, so these network execs are wrong about wrestling fans!"

You don't even have to go to a newz site.  Facebook serves the same purpose.

• Like 1

I like popping in on this thread every 2 weeks or so just to see how close to the edge TNA is.

Irrelevant (maybe out of touch) star in charge, CHECK.

Not the top rated show on Destination America, CHECK.

DA saber rattling. CHECK.

Dixie having the temerity to ask DA for money after said saber rattling. CHECK.

Off-brand Scientology advertiser?  CHECK PLUS.  

I really hope TNA stays around forever. 

• Like 1

I agree with Dolfan, I only care about the "business" side of TNA at this point. This company has been so concerned with bringing people BACKSTAGE- well I am there. I really honestly only care about the decisions, drama, and politics in keeping this company afloat. The TV doesn't look bad, but my regular viewership stopped a long time ago. Hopefully Dixie continues to keep the crazy torch let for a few more years. When TNA finally folds I will pour myself a nice pitcher of iced tea, take off work, and read the online finger pointing that will ensure followed by epic rants by Russo, Cornette, Mantel, etc. Fun times ahead.

• Like 1

Like, I look on this board...it doesn't seem terribly different from any other group of guys in their 20s/30s/40s that watch other sports or anything else. 

This board is not representative of the majority of wrestling fans.  Go read the comments on any wrestling newz site and you'll begin to understand that the majority of fans are fucking morons and that these network ad people are 100% correct.  If you're not the typical wrestling fan, congratulations are in order.  But you can't say, "well I'm not a dumb hick, so these network execs are wrong about wrestling fans!"

Seriously, these people live and die by demographics.  It's their job.  They're not underestimating wrestling fans.  "Intelligent" wrestling fans are a very tiny minority.  If these ad execs think the audience for Physchic Bigfoot, Hillbilly Hand Fishin' etc is more attractive to advertisers than wrestling fans are, then odds are they're correct.

Go read the comments anywhere and tell me they are any smarter. Like seriously please point me to all the genius football, baseball and Basketball fans out there.

Demographics were created by loser networks to trick advertisers into thinking that five million is more than twenty million. 

• Like 4

Look I don't want to suggest most TV execs don't know how to do their job, but I do know the CW/SmackDown situation was absolutely a fuck up caused by a snobby, narrow minded TV exec. Even in the TV industry itself Ostroff was considered a major screw up for driving off wrestling (which, at the least, was cheap programming and got the station average WAY up.)

Obviously wrestling will never do AMAZING ad rates, but I do question the idea it's so bad no advertisers want a thing to do with it, especially when they're lining up to get behind BBQ contests, ghost towns and evil psychic bigfoot. Let's face it: DA ain't exactly AMC or FX here in terms of churning out high quality television. 

CW/Smackdown is a good thing to bring up whenever people make a point of saying "Oh,  TV doesn't need wresting and wrestling should be grateful for any offer they get, no matter how crappy." They had a really rough few years after canning SD: The station average went to hell and all they could fill that extra time with was terrible teen shows (The Carrie Diaries, The Beautiful Life) that got record low ratings and Ostroff eventually has to resign. Things have gotten a bit better for them since they jumped on the superhero bandwagon but many of their other shows are still doing really hideous numbers.

Weirdly, I think the McMahons got the last laugh there.

Look I don't want to suggest most TV execs don't know how to do their job, but I do know the CW/SmackDown situation was absolutely a fuck up caused by a snobby, narrow minded TV exec. Even in the TV industry itself Ostroff was considered a major screw up for driving off wrestling (which, at the least, was cheap programming and got the station average WAY up.)

Obviously wrestling will never do AMAZING ad rates, but I do question the idea it's so bad no advertisers want a thing to do with it, especially when they're lining up to get behind BBQ contests, ghost towns and evil psychic bigfoot. Let's face it: DA ain't exactly AMC or FX here in terms of churning out high quality television. 

Being fair, though- even though all the other shows are equally as low-class as pro wrestling, those shows do have the other problems wrestling has: 

Wrestling is far more expensive than making those crappy shows. You're paying a lot, but if the ratings are good you're GETTING a lot in exchange (one night of great ratings a week.)

This is a problem, because the thing that made wrestling in vogue for WWE being available last year- the theory it was DVR-proof programming- also keeps in mind another problem pro wrestling has: It has the proven theory that pro wrestling is largely rerun-proof television, which increases the price and dramatically lowers the value that pro wrestling has (and Destination America found out the hard way wrestling fans won't watch pro wrestling reruns on TV- hell, even with the WWE Network, apparently a big reason that a lot of older content isn't being dumped is because the classic Raw/SD/Nitro  is relatively unwatched compared to new content.)  That makes the price far worse for pro wrestling, since not only is wrestling more expensive than these other crappy shows- BBQ contests, ghost towns, and evil psychic Bigfoot are both cheap to air, AND you can rerun them as much as you want (and once a show is in the can, reruns are 100% pure profit for the Network), meaning that there's no chance to make the money back for pro wrestling programming.

Meltzer will most likely confirm tonight that Destination America will cancel TNA programming in September.

How can you believe anything that M*ltz*r says!? He hates TNA and makes up all his facts about them! Don't you remember DA putting out a press release saying how great TNA's ratings are? They love TNA and that was them essentially proposing their undying love to TNA and was in no way a desperate attempt to try and get ANYONE to buy ads during iMPACT.

You know, at this point I won't believe TNA is dead until someone takes an oak branch removed from a hundred year old tree by a bolt of lightning, carves it into a stake, drives it into the heart of TNA, stuffs it's mouth full of garlic, chops off it's head and then locks it in a safe buried at the bottom of the ocean and Vince buys the tape library.

• Like 15

It's not the library. Meltzer said a few weeks ago in an update that the reason they are in no rush to add the back library is because barely anyone watches it.

There weren't any official numbers but it's the original programming type things that are the things folks are watching. (Well and the PPVs)

We'll see who has the last laugh when the REAL story comes out from someone more credible than D*ve M*ltzer that TNA isn't getting cancelled from Destination America, they are being moved up to be the flagship show of the Discovery Channel.

• Like 1