DVDVR Message Board

2015 TNA DISCUSSION THREAD

I really don't know what they did to pis DA off so much. Ok the ad revenue isn't what they wanted nor are the advertisers but does it warrent all this hullabaloo? or is the IWC just blowing this out of proprotion?  

They apparently found Dixie quite difficult to deal with, similar to Spike. I'm sure the email thing didn't help.

IMO, it feels like Dixie has a tendency to treat her TV partners like idiots (look at the whole deal where she promised Spike Russo was gone and never thought they'd find out). I don't think anyone likes being treated like a fool. Especially when the person doing it is one of the biggest fools themselves ever.

• Like 1

I really don't know what they did to pis DA off so much. Ok the ad revenue isn't what they wanted nor are the advertisers but does it warrent all this hullabaloo? or is the IWC just blowing this out of proprotion?  

DA isn't making the money they want to make off the deal. The ratings are good, but all of the station's advertisers are like "don't put our ads on that show." It's a business deal that they want out of and can get out of, so why not? Apparently TNA's audience isn't crossing over to their spate of psychic bigfoot ghost shows. Plus I guarantee Dixie's batshit insanity hasn't won them many supporters. It's a perfect storm of "ut oh" for TNA.

Yea where the hell do you go when Destination America doesn't want you? There really seems to be nowhere left to turn. Maybe we'll get a Kickstarer :)

There are like 500 hundred cable channels. They get decent ratings. I think they'll find somewhere. But the money will be absolutely crap.

In the Meltzer clip, he talks about talking to different TV executives who was interested in TNA before they signed with Destination America (mostly small sports networks like NBC Sports Network and Fox Sports 2 who could benefit from TNA's promotion of their MMA) and all of them are saying "not now, no sir" after Dixie's latest stupidity.

They're not going to be able to find a home that will pay them for their programming, and without that, they're gonna lose even too much money for Panda. Everybody's been wrong before about TNA, but lt looks like game over, man.

To be fair, if NBC Sports Network wanted a wrestling show for their network, they could just ask Vince to air Main Event or even NXT there. No need to get involved with TNA. 

And the fact that there is a million channels out there means nothing, they're all owned by the same few corporations and I have to imagine that Dixie's behavior is well known by now. If TNA gets on TV, it'll be a deal like what they had with FSN where they were paying to be on the air. 

Dixie would catch a lot less flack if she was a man (Stephanie too, imo).

That's not to say she's competent.  I have no idea how competent Dixie is or isn't.  I've never spent time around her or backstage at TNA.  However, there are lots of famously difficult people in television.  Being difficult to work with - unprofessional, even - probably won't be the deciding factor in TNA's cancellation.  Willing to bet DA would be more willing to deal with Dixie if the show was raking in ad money and viewers were tuning in and staying for DA's other programming.

I am kinda amused that TNA seems to be caught off-guard by this (publicly, at least).  I assume they'd be aware of any out clauses in the contract.

Dixie would catch a lot less flack if she was a man (Stephanie too, imo).

That's not to say she's competent. I have no idea how competent Dixie is or isn't. I've never spent time around her or backstage at TNA. However, there are lots of famously difficult people in television. Being difficult to work with - unprofessional, even - probably won't be the deciding factor in TNA's cancellation. Willing to bet DA would be more willing to deal with Dixie if the show was raking in ad money and viewers were tuning in and staying for DA's other programming.

I am kinda amused that TNA seems to be caught off-guard by this (publicly, at least). I assume they'd be aware of any out clauses in the contract.

I think they knew of the out but didn't think DA would use it cause the rating where 'good' in there eyes while ignoring all the other factors that DA was looking at. Including (if true) Dixie skipping a quarterly meeting.

All joking aside, TNA and DA were not a great fit to begin with. It seems like DA broadcasts productions on a shoe string budget and reruns of shows from their sister networks. Who knows if the rumors of TNAs cancellation has anything to do with TNAs ratings or behavior. It could have more to do with people at DA changing their mind.

But for some reason, whenever there are reports of TNAs demise TNA higher ups just go whacky. Part of me thinks that even though the ship is sinking they're basking in the publicity. Like they've had so many lives at this point they think the whole world is a work.

To be fair, if you go with the "TNA is Dixie's toy so her dad doesn't have to give her a real job with the company" theory, this might be the best thing for TNA.

But last step is him creating a make-believe TV channel, but only get shown in Dixie's house, and hiring a bunch of people to be make-believe fans on Twitter

• Like 1

A few weeks ago I began a new newsletter type thing. I wasn't planning on talking about current events...but TNA got me motivated.

Sorry for the extra long post. I really rambled on.

Trent: I’m came to support Janey…they’re power scrubbing my room again…anyway, this running stuff means a lot to her.

Daria: Uh huh?

Trent: What’s she’s doing takes guts. All that practicing, day in, day out.

Daria: Yeah.

Trent: And what for? So a crowd of drunks can make your art the backdrop to their pathetic mating dance? They don’t care about your dream. They just want something loud going on so they don’t have to talk…

Daria: Um…we’re not discussing Jane anymore…are we?

The Fall And Fall Of TNA.

We begin, with the dumbest wrestling promotion ever.

And not only the dumbest promotion ever, but the dumbest business decisions ever and probably the dumbest booking decisions ever, rivaling that only of the decision to make Robert E. Lee the booker of the confederacy in the Civil War. It’s enough to make you go mental. You hire the man who is likely the worst booker in the history of professional wrestling, only to fire him, only to take him back under OATH OF SECRECY. Only to have that secret exposed, resulting in the only television partner you have get upset to the point where they cancel your show, only to fire said booker, all to lead to a bunch of shows, that nobody watched because you somehow managed to lose a TV partner with 100 Million household reach via stupidity. AND this is after your business decisions were so poor that you not only decided not to sell to a buyer not once, but FOUR TIMES, for eight figures each time. AND this is after the numerous amounts of attempts to rip off WWE, which not only makes you losers look like dumb losers, but it makes the multimillionare Vince McMahon LOOK LIKE THE VICTIM. THE HELL?

And then there was the nonsense that came out of owner Dixie Carter’s mouth after they were forced to take the walk of shame to Destination America, which sounded something akin to what would happen if Ms South Carolina from the Ms America pageant decided to become a wrestling promoter.

People often yell at me because I say I think TNA should go out of business. That I should feel bad for all the people who will lose their jobs. And I do. But anyone that tells you there are two sides to this, like a side that says that “NASCAR Stock Cars are 2000 pound machines driven by humans that drive around in circles.” and another that says “No. They are made out of potatoes.” There aren’t two sides to this. There is only one reaction to all of this. Blow up TNA. History, cruel, legitimate history reminds you that a company never recovers from this. Ask the USWA. Ask ECW. Ask the GWF. Ask the UWF. Blow up TNA. Fire Dixie Carter from Panda Energy. Fire the entire front office, hell, I would have fired them at the end of the most recent UK tour, AND made them swim back to the states.

This is nothing new. TNA being shit is nothing new. What is new, is the recent circumstances that prompted me to write this in the first place. This is after the most recent public outrage of staging an angle in which Jeff Hardy fell off of a cage door simulating a concussion in this new public reality of the dangers of concussions. This is after the most recent business outcry of a company practically letting the TV station it works with make creative decisions. Which I’m pretty sure was an ECW angle back in the year 2000. Except this is very real. This is Destination America saying that Kurt Angle should be champion. Because what better way to say “America” than making a man who won a gold medal 18 years ago win a world title at 42 years old. This is after Destination America wanting Taryn Terrell win the Knockouts title because Desination America liked “Her Look.” Anyone in TV who tells you “I like her look.” Is carny for “I want to fuck her.” And above all else, the idea that the TV stations you work with somehow aren’t cool with the fact that you tour the United Kingdom. The company, in TNA, that has toured the UK for roughly like six years. So that means that during the negotiations for bringing TNA to Discovery, no one asked if this would be an issue? TNA surely didn’t think that DIscovery would have an issue with a company wants to tape TV in a place of the universe where they actually draw a crowd. This also indicates, that Discovery knew nothing about the company they were negotiating with, and that they knew nothing about the wrestling industry, or for that matter likely, geography outside of the United States.

This isn’t TNA’s fault. But this is another example of the story of TNA. Every single positive is always followed up by a series of negatives. Whether they be self induced, or from outside issues, TNA never seems to grab a foothold. It is time to end TNA. This company will never get any further than what it is now. The most appropriate way to describe TNA was the following quote on a message board.

“The biggest story about TNA is the fact that they are somehow still in business.”

How? Fuck if I know.

At the end of the day, is TNA as bad as a company like Enron? Well no. This is dollars to dimes. But within it’s own industry, a sometimes, racist, sexist, exploitive industry, no company has managed to be more racist, sexist or exploitative than TNA. Basically, TNA is everything we hate about the wrestling industry. And for that it should burn. I don’t need to go into detail regarding TNA’s history. Chances are if you are reading this you know of what TNA means to the average wrestling fan, responding back between either “Shit” or “Nothing” And if you don’t, I’m sure you can enlighten yourself. (Try starting off with the phrase “LOLTNA” into google.)

Here is the major problem. What happens if TNA never goes out of business? That is the real issue. A company continues to exist despite it’s own incompetence. In an industry filled with bad examples of how NOT to run a business, the most perfect example gets to continue. The talent still gets stuck on a treadmill thinking the next big break is coming soon, the production crew continues to not get paid, WWE continues to have no real competition in the United States, and a company out of Texas continues to lose seven figures a year. What does the wrestling industry gain? Nothing. It gains nothing. The wrestling industry would be better off if TNA went out of business, and someone attempted to pick up the pieces and try to become a legitimate #2.

And as long as TNA still exists, the fan will continue to gain nothing as well.

• Like 1

To be fair, if you go with the "TNA is Dixie's toy so her dad doesn't have to give her a real job with the company" theory, this might be the best thing for TNA.

But last step is him creating a make-believe TV channel, but only get shown in Dixie's house, and hiring a bunch of people to be make-believe fans on Twitter

I would like to be paid to pretend to like TNA. It's really not hard to make fake TNAMecca style posts.

Also, saying the only reason they got kicked off of Spike is because of Russo is not true. Spike was already pretty much done with TNA because they pumped a ton of money into it, brought in big names and the ratings never grew.

• Like 1

Dixie is not bad as Heyman, wrestlers still haven't got paid yet.

I bet Heyman knows how to use Microsoft Outlook.

He has some college kid from New England he buses in and pays in Subway sandwiches to do that

• Like 1

Maybe they could get on Amazon Prime? Or they could have a couple of guys play the old TNA game and stream it on Twitch.

Prime isn't a bad idea, except ShopTNA would have to do everything through Amazon. I doubt Dixie would countenance that. If I was Amazon and wanted wrestling (not a terrible idea actually), I think I'd just buy the thing and fuck Dixie off at this point. 

The problem with TNA going to a service like Amazon Prime, Hulu or Netflix is that I'm unsure it provides them with any actual value. These companies aim to bring in subscribers and keep their existing subscribers happy.

In my opinion, the number of TNA fans who would be willing to spend money on the product is barely measurable. The majority of their regular watchers are WWE fans first who who just like to watch wrestling. You could raise the production values of an indy, prominently place them on a cable television with some promotion and I'm not sure how different the ratings would be compared to TNA.