DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Unwilling to relocate to NYC/CT.  Not built for cold weather.  Not a YEH-TAY!

Willing to wear pants to work.  Regularly.  Professional!

Unwilling to be on-call 24/7.  Semi-professional!

Unwilling to wear tie.  Non-negotiable.  Unless money is offered in large brown bag with big dollar sign on it.  Then maybe a little negotiable cause money bag is sign of goodwill.

• Like 6

Are Barry Windham and Dustin Rhodes the most underrated tag team of all time? I mean, we all love them and their matches but no one ever really mentions them as a top tag team

Probably just cause they didn't have that long of a run as a top tag team. They started as a team in late 91, right? 1992 was a magical year for WCW. Possibly its best year just in terms of awesome wrestling. I personally loved them as a team but Barry had to eventually turn. Thinking about it, the whole NWA thing really mucked things up for WCW. Sure it was great to see unified world tag team champions and Barry eventually winning the big one. They could have done all of that with just the WCW Titles.

This might sound daft, and I totally agree with you regarding their lack of longevity, but I think it's cause Windham and Rhodes didn't have a funky tag name. Every team that get bandied around as a top tag have a unit name whereas Windham and Rhodes were, well, Windham and Rhodes.

I really need to pony up the cash for Goodhelmet's 1992 set - defo my favourite year in wrestling

On the Triple H topic, I NEVER had any use for him as a wrestler/character. His "king of kings" schtick just felt forced and the DX nonsense was unwatchable. However, he's the dude behind NXT and bringing great ring work and WRESTLING ANGLES to WRESTLING SHOWS. That for me is where he has redeemed himself in my eyes.

• Like 2

So while looking at an old Observer, I came across a "several big names are considering jumping to TNA when their contract expires" item. That's not much of a thing anymore (TNA probably can't afford WWE guys who have options, at the moment), but for a while, that rumor was constantly a thing.  Um, yeah, who actually did turn down a WWE contract to go to TNA.  Jeff Hardy.  Christian.  Booker T,,  think.  And....? 

TNA had a lot of WWE alums shuffle through over the years, but most of the names I can think of were released by the WWE or were semi-retired stars like Nash who probably were drawing minimal interest from the WWE at that point and didn't want to go back to the road touring schedule.  I can't think of many younger, active guys who could have signed a new WWE contract who instead went to TNA.

Didn't Booker T's departure have something to do (indirectly) with his PED suspension?

The way to salvage anything from The Ascension is to make them two delusional guys that claim to have gone toe to toe with all the great 80s/90s tag teams.  I feel like the seeds have been planted for such a gimmick.

This.  Have them go whole-hog on the over the top corny 80s/90s toughguy catchphrases and mannerisms.  Kind of like the Hollys did where they both acted like they were 400+ pounds where they actually believe their gimmick even though no one else takes them seriously.

So the last Raw was not totally panned by this board and I decided to give it a try for the first time in a long while (my fandom had been waffling since the death of the old board). I was pleasantly surprised by the show but the one thing that really struck me was Cena. He hasn't really changed anything in years now. I'm not one of those who think he should turn heel but could a good shift in gimmick freshen him up? And what, if anything, can he be besides what he is now?

how do you freshen him up without either having him go away or having him be more heelish vs some guys.

not that giving him a new outfit is a bad idea, but that only does so much.

WWE isn't going to change its booking, but they can change the stale presentation. Cena should probably come out to new music, have new moves, wear different gear. He can be booked the same but just changing the aesthetics will do a lot.