DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I'd pay to read an oral history of TNA Wrestling.  Especially if you could get everyone to speak on the record: Dixie, Angle, Samoa Joe, Christian, Sting, Mick Foley, Jeff and Jerry Jarrett, and especially Scott Steiner.

Dixie: Ratings were going up, Spike was happy with us, everything was going well.

Prichard: Ratings were not going up, Spike was unhappy, everyone was afraid for their jobs.

Steiner: [unintelligible]

• Like 1

This is from Reddit, and credited to the Observer. Your typical Kevin Dunn hate below. No clue if it's legit, since I don't have a subscription to the Observer. Man, I actually do miss having one....

A source close to the WWE has noted that WWE Executive Producer Kevin Dunn has been 'burying' Daniel Bryan to Vince McMahon for quite some time. One main point that Dunn feels strongly about is Daniel Bryan's injury. It is also believed that some WWE officials agree with Dunn and question Bryan's reliability as the top guy in the company.

via Pitchfork

The Mountain Goats have announced a new album, the first since 2012's Transcendental Youth. It's called Beat the Champ, and it's out April 7 in North America, April 13 in Europe, and April 3 in Australia/New Zealand, via Merge. John Darnielle also shared a song called "The Legend of Chavo Guerrero", which you can listen to above. The song is about pro wrestler Chavo Guerrero Sr., who Darnielle calls his "childhood hero." 

As you might be able to surmise from the cover (which was designed by artist Leela Corman) and the song, the album is largely about pro wrestling. Darnielle wrote a little about the album on his Tumblr, where he explained the subject matter:

Or, as he says, the songs are "really more about death and difficult-to-navigate interior spaces than wrestling." 

All that glory. All that shine. Nameless bodies in unremembered rooms. Some people might be thinking to themselves, JD, wrestling, I don’t know, I’ve never really been into wrestling, but did I steer you wrong with the Bible album, even though you may not have been super-into the Bible? Fear not. In a world of false promises and hollow gimmicks, please rest assured that the old maxim still holds true, whether scrawled on the back of a claim check or carved into a bench in an abandoned locker room: you can’t trust much, but you can trust the Mountain Goats.

He also wrote about the album on Merge's website:

A deluxe edition of the album on colored vinyl will come with the "Blood Capsules" b/w "Dub Capsules" 12".

Beat the Champ is about professional wrestling, which was an avenue of escape for me when I was a kid. Wrestling was low-budget working class entertainment back then, strictly UHF material. It was cheap theater. You had to bring your imagination to the proceedings and you got paid back double. I wrote these songs to re-immerse myself in the blood and fire of the visions that spoke to me as a child, and to see what more there might be in them now that I'm grown.

http://pitchfork.com/news/58158-mountain-goats-announce-pro-wrestling-themed-lp-beat-the-champ-share-the-legend-of-chavo-guerrero/

By the way, I'd just like to share the way pro wrestling has also ruined one of my favourite Mountain Goats songs.  The song 'You or Your Memory' features the lyrics "st. joseph's baby aspirin/bartles and jaymes/and you or your memory." and I was trying to recall the lyrics one day and came up with "St. Joseph's baby ass cream" thinking of that stupid skit on Raw and now I can't think of the song without hearing the words "ass cream" and thinking of Christian and the big stupid bottle of ass cream and it totally takes me out of what is a very sweet, sad little song because I start laughing in the middle of it.

28.jpg

• Like 2

Sting: Jesus doesn't want me to talk bad about people.... But Dixie is a real cunt

Fixed that.

But I could see Sting have nothing but good things to say about her. Same reason Hogan talks nice about her. She paid them both very well to do very little. Now it's everyone else in the company that I would like to hear their opinions on her.

via Pitchfork

The Mountain Goats have announced a new album, the first since 2012's Transcendental Youth. It's called Beat the Champ, and it's out April 7 in North America, April 13 in Europe, and April 3 in Australia/New Zealand, via Merge. John Darnielle also shared a song called "The Legend of Chavo Guerrero", which you can listen to above. The song is about pro wrestler Chavo Guerrero Sr., who Darnielle calls his "childhood hero." 

As you might be able to surmise from the cover (which was designed by artist Leela Corman) and the song, the album is largely about pro wrestling. Darnielle wrote a little about the album on his Tumblr, where he explained the subject matter:

Or, as he says, the songs are "really more about death and difficult-to-navigate interior spaces than wrestling." 

All that glory. All that shine. Nameless bodies in unremembered rooms. Some people might be thinking to themselves, JD, wrestling, I don’t know, I’ve never really been into wrestling, but did I steer you wrong with the Bible album, even though you may not have been super-into the Bible? Fear not. In a world of false promises and hollow gimmicks, please rest assured that the old maxim still holds true, whether scrawled on the back of a claim check or carved into a bench in an abandoned locker room: you can’t trust much, but you can trust the Mountain Goats.

A deluxe edition of the album on colored vinyl will come with the "Blood Capsules" b/w "Dub Capsules" 12".

Beat the Champ is about professional wrestling, which was an avenue of escape for me when I was a kid. Wrestling was low-budget working class entertainment back then, strictly UHF material. It was cheap theater. You had to bring your imagination to the proceedings and you got paid back double. I wrote these songs to re-immerse myself in the blood and fire of the visions that spoke to me as a child, and to see what more there might be in them now that I'm grown.

http://pitchfork.com/news/58158-mountain-goats-announce-pro-wrestling-themed-lp-beat-the-champ-share-the-legend-of-chavo-guerrero/

By the way, I'd just like to share the way pro wrestling has also ruined one of my favourite Mountain Goats songs.  The song 'You or Your Memory' features the lyrics "st. joseph's baby aspirin/bartles and jaymes/and you or your memory." and I was trying to recall the lyrics one day and came up with "St. Joseph's baby ass cream" thinking of that stupid skit on Raw and now I can't think of the song without hearing the words "ass cream" and thinking of Christian and the big stupid bottle of ass cream and it totally takes me out of what is a very sweet, sad little song because I start laughing in the middle of it.

28.jpg

I love that the WWE prop people actually made a tub with the words "Ass Cream" on it. 

• Like 1

Sting: Jesus doesn't want me to talk bad about people.... But Dixie is a real cunt

Fixed that.

But I could see Sting have nothing but good things to say about her. Same reason Hogan talks nice about her. She paid them both very well to do very little. Now it's everyone else in the company that I would like to hear their opinions on her.

Sting might have been paid to do very little- but when he did things he busted ass.   Sting's TNA years don't diminish his legacy at all.

• Like 1

28.jpg

1. I wonder if that's in the WWE warehouse.

2. "I scream, you scream, we all scream for ..." ^?

3. I wonder if it comes with its own scoop.

4. Incredibly enough, it works wonders on zits.

5. You should see the economy size.

6. Not to be taken internally.

7. I was unaware you could get cream from ass.

8. I was unaware you could get ass from cream.

Okay ... I'm done.

• Like 1

via Pitchfork

28.jpg

I love that the WWE prop people actually made a tub with the words "Ass Cream" on it. 

Vince probably gives these out to Stamford WWE employees as Christmas presents.

This is from Reddit, and credited to the Observer. Your typical Kevin Dunn hate below. No clue if it's legit, since I don't have a subscription to the Observer. Man, I actually do miss having one....

A source close to the WWE has noted that WWE Executive Producer Kevin Dunn has been 'burying' Daniel Bryan to Vince McMahon for quite some time. One main point that Dunn feels strongly about is Daniel Bryan's injury. It is also believed that some WWE officials agree with Dunn and question Bryan's reliability as the top guy in the company.

I didn't see this in the Observer this week. but maybe I missed it.

A new article on WWE.com, Daniel Bryan names the 15 Greatest Matches of His Career:

15. Daniel Bryan vs. John Cena (WWE SummerSlam 2013)

14. Daniel Bryan vs. Randy Orton (Street Fight) (RAW, 6/24/13)

13. Daniel Bryan vs. CM Punk (WWE Over the Limit 2012)

12. Bryan Danielson vs. Takeshi Morishima (Fight Without Honor) (ROH Final Battle 2008)

11. Daniel Bryan vs. Seth Rollins (RAW, 6/10/13)

10. Daniel Bryan vs. Cesaro (RAW, 7/22/13)

9. Bryan Danielson vs. Nigel McGuiness (ROH Unified 2006)

8. Bryan Danielson vs. KENTA (ROH Glory by Honor 2006)

7. Daniel Bryan vs. William Regal (Superstars, 11/11/11)

6. Daniel Bryan, Kane, & Ryback vs. The Shield (TLC Match) (WWE TLC 2012)

5. Daniel Bryan, Kane, & The Undertaker vs. The Shield (RAW, 4/22/13)

4. Daniel Bryan vs. Sheamus (2/3 Falls Match) (WWE Extreme Rules 2012)

3. Daniel Bryan vs. Triple H (WWE WrestleMania 30)

2. Daniel Bryan vs. Randy Orton vs. Batista (WWE WrestleMania 30)

1. Bryan Danielson vs. Robbie Brookside (EWP Glide Wrestling Festival 2003 Tag 3)

Cool to see his earlier career covered, surprised the Cena match wasn't top 5.

I was very pleased to see the ROH matches on there, and the stories are interesting.  It seems he loves giving a shoutout to the indies whenever he can.  You can take Daniel Bryan out of ROH, but you'll never take the ROH out of him.

Let's see:

1.Somebody who is too naiive drunk to think he/she would make a difference.

2.Somebody looking to get paid.

3.A masochist.

This is every writer I have ever met. 

Shit. This is how Augusten Burroughs got his start.

• Like 1

Well, if kayfabe was dead to beging with this is pretty much dancing on the coffin.

HHH, Steph and Daniel Bryan on the writing process.  http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2283701-inside-wwe-an-exclusive-look-at-how-a-pro-wrestling-story-comes-to-life?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial?is_shared=true

That is a very reasonable point.

When our fans got behind Daniel Bryan in the beginning...that absolutely was a key indicator to us that Daniel Bryan was an A-plus player, not just in our minds, but in our fans' minds. - Stephanie McMahon

That is awesome and nearly brings a tear to my to think of how far Daniel Bryan has come.

• Like 1

Something else too...

I'm reading that article and it's clear to me that HHH was behind the majority of it. Huh. How about that. The last great WWE storyline was captained by HHH. WWE's best programming, NXT, is captained by NXT. Why not, oh, I don't know, have him captain Raw too?

• Like 1