DVDVR Message Board

2015 UPCOMING MOVIES/CASTING NONSENSE

RIPPA

As mentioned above, the idea from a few years ago of doing a movie trilogy with a TV series linking them was perfect. Gunslinger in theaters. Drawing of the Three and Wastelands for season one. Wizard and Glass movie 2. Wolves/Song for season 2. End with the Tower.

Everyone on the internets wans Aaron Paul to be Eddie.  I vote for Matthew McConaughey and Jamey Sheridan to share the role of Randall Flagg.

Yeah I've heard this too. I just don't see him as Eddie though. He just seems too runty physically to play anything but junkie Eddie. I don't see him as Gunslinger Eddie.

All I care about is Wizard & Glass being done right on the big screen.

If they could figure out a way to skip most of the Calla Bryn Sturgis stuff, "Stephen King as God" and actually make the Crimson King a badass, I'd be happy with it. I didn't mind the overall ending of the series but was really let down with most everything after book 4. I hated how King started using all of those stupid gibberish words (commala-com shut the fuck up) and how he neutered the Crimson King and Flagg. Expected more out of the Tick-Tock Man in book 4 as well.

• Like 1

Everyone on the internets wans Aaron Paul to be Eddie.  I vote for Matthew McConaughey and Jamey Sheridan to share the role of Randall Flagg.

Yeah I've heard this too. I just don't see him as Eddie though. He just seems too runty physically to play anything but junkie Eddie. I don't see him as Gunslinger Eddie.

Christ I hate fan casting.  Yeah let's cast Aaron Paul to essentially play Jesse Pinkman again. 

Let's hire a good writer to put together an ending better than King's and worry about who plays what character later.  They can't pause the film when Roland gets to the tower and say, "this ending is going to suck but if you're expecting a good ending you're shallow and just don't get it" won't fly in a film.

• Like 1

Fan casting is awful when it is type casting. Even more so when the typecasting doesn't take the new character into consideration. 

Jesse Pinkman pretty much stays messed up but Eddie eventually cleans himself up and becomes a Gunslinger, so having Paul revise his role as Jesse in Dark Tower does no justice to the character of Eddie.

Now the internets wants Christian Bale to be Roland but I miss him playing villains so I wouldn't mind seeing him take on the role of Randall Flagg and don't necessarily wish for him to do it by reprising his role as Patrick Bateman.

After seeing Tom Hardy as Mad Max, I kinda vote for him to be Roland.

I've never heard of The Tracking Board before but they are saying James Wan is going to produce a Mortal Kombat movie written by Oren Uziel (Mortal Kombat: Rebirth, 22 Jump Street) and Dave Callaham (Doom, Expendables series, Godzilla).

Wan seems to be the perfect fit for what the studio has described as “a departure from the mythology,” with “darker, brutally real martial arts.” The script, being penned by Mortal Kombat: Legacy writer Oren Uziel and The Expendables writer Dave Callaham, centers around a seemingly harmless guy who realizes his potential when he finds himself caught in the middle of a cross-dimensional battle between the warriors of Earth and the monsters of Outworld. Now, in order to stop the world from total destruction, he must win the martial arts tournament known as ‘Mortal Kombat’.

A web series based on Mortal Kombat X was filmed months ago, not sure what happened to that.

I've never heard of The Tracking Board before but they are saying James Wan is going to produce a Mortal Kombat movie written by Oren Uziel (Mortal Kombat: Rebirth, 22 Jump Street) and Dave Callaham (Doom, Expendables series, Godzilla).

Wan seems to be the perfect fit for what the studio has described as “a departure from the mythology,” with “darker, brutally real martial arts.” The script, being penned by Mortal Kombat: Legacy writer Oren Uziel and The Expendables writer Dave Callaham, centers around a seemingly harmless guy who realizes his potential when he finds himself caught in the middle of a cross-dimensional battle between the warriors of Earth and the monsters of Outworld. Now, in order to stop the world from total destruction, he must win the martial arts tournament known as ‘Mortal Kombat’.

A web series based on Mortal Kombat X was filmed months ago, not sure what happened to that.

Yeah, nothing screams "brutally real" like "cross-dimensional" ... stuff.
  • Like 1

Brutally real cross-dimensional battles between people with hidden powers and monsters from the Outworld to prevent total destruction of Earth. As written by Mortal Kombat 2 and Doom scriptwriters. Sounds good to me.

Also, this 'seemingly harmless guy who realises his potential' better have the name Lou Bang until it's revealed in the end it's Liu Kang.

Brutally real cross-dimensional battles between people with hidden powers and monsters from the Outworld to prevent total destruction of Earth.

Granted I watch the Spanish version of it with no subtitles or anything, but isn't this basically the plot of Lucha Underground?

• Like 2

Not sure if there are any fans here, but the "Ready Player One" movie has a release date, December 17th, 2017. Still no cast announced.

I really enjoyed the book but it feels unfilmable.  Also, the rights for the music and the video game characters might be pretty expensive.  I wonder what the budget will look like.  While it was a pretty good selling book, it wasn't the Hunger Games as far as having a massive, built-in, rabid audience goes.

Not sure if there are any fans here, but the "Ready Player One" movie has a release date, December 17th, 2017. Still no cast announced.

I really enjoyed the book but it feels unfilmable.  Also, the rights for the music and the video game characters might be pretty expensive.  I wonder what the budget will look like.  While it was a pretty good selling book, it wasn't the Hunger Games as far as having a massive, built-in, rabid audience goes.

Why compare it to a sterotypical (but admittedly great) YA trilogy? It's a stand-alone book (for now) aimed at an older, geekier audience? The ones who are helping to drive the MCU and comic book movie boom!

As far as being unfilmable, the rights are the biggest concern (but Spielberg can probably make some things happen), otherwise the book is basically a movie script.