DVDVR Message Board

Art of Wrestling with Colt Cabana v2.0

Rev Ray

Plus here's a question: Can you consider yourself straight edge if you take prescription medication for a medical condition? Let's say you're bipolar and need meds to keep yourself in check. Can you still say you're straight edge if you don't drink or do "street" drugs but do take your meds?

I had a friend in college who went through this whole ordeal. He was part of my group of friends who were straightedge. He was probably the most into that scene, actually. Anyways, he suffered from depression really badly and dropped out of school and was hospitalized. A few of our friends criticized him for going on his medication. He was apprehensive, too, because of his straightedge code but his mom begged him to go on anti-depressants so he did. And he said the meds were what saved his life and he didn't really care about anyone's opinion on the subject. No one gave him crap after that and we all moved on.

I don't know what current day straightedge hardcore is about or if it even really exists anymore.

But I would say it's sort of like religion. There are a lot of people who are straightedge and don't really preach about it or anything. They have a pretty firm moral code -- I don't want to drink or do drugs and possibly even restrict my dietary choices, etc. Then there are people who want to put their belief system on others because of some weird personal complex. But it's obviously not a religion where things are written out in a text followed for thousands of years. The original use of the word was the title of a 45-second song.

Dr. Tom is this week's guest.  It was ok.  I felt like it could have really been more.  Felt like a bulk of it was based around his work in developmental and his first start.  It really feels like you could probably do like 2 or 3 podcasts with him just for all the places he has been.  I didn't realize they had let him go because almost everyone I've heard of who went through the system always seems to have glowing words about how helpful he was for them. 

I don't know what current day straightedge hardcore is about or if it even really exists anymore.

But I would say it's sort of like religion. There are a lot of people who are straightedge and don't really preach about it or anything. They have a pretty firm moral code -- I don't want to drink or do drugs and possibly even restrict my dietary choices, etc. Then there are people who want to put their belief system on others because of some weird personal complex. But it's obviously not a religion where things are written out in a text followed for thousands of years. The original use of the word was the title of a 45-second song.

Straightedge is inevitably bullshit posturing on one level or another.  Antibiotics, anesthetic, vaccines, nutritional supplements, vitamins, food additives, topical ointments/lotions, and countless other things are all drugs.  Toothpaste is technically a drug.  Punk's celebrated Gold Bond Powder is a drug.  It's practically impossible for anyone in modern society to truly go for their entire life and never use any sort of drugs, because "drug" is just a catchall euphemism for "any foreign chemical product which is consumed by humans but isn't some sort of food".  Good for Punk & co. that they aren't hooked on prescription pain pills or steroids or recreational drugs; but don't act like they never get a shot of Novocaine before having a root canal, or never downed a shot of Pepto Bismal to settle an upset stomach, or never ate any food that came out of a can.  

• Like 1

No, I don't know, because there's no consensus in the straightedge community.  Do sleeping pills like Ambien count?  Some say yes, some say no.  If they don't count, why not muscle relaxers too?  If you use painkillers to get through a dental procedure or invasive surgery, why can't you use painkillers to deal with the crippling pain of waking-and-walking injuries... like, say, the kind that are suffered by every pro wrestler ever?  

• Like 1

Is it really winning though, if 5% of the audience read your argument and think it's genius, and the other 95% read it and think you're an utter imbecile?

Just now listening to the Dr. Tom episode and he's opening by talking about how NXT hasn't really generated any new stars and everybody who's been called up so far have really been FCW guys, like Ambrose, Rollins, and Wyatt, so really FCW was way better and what he did way better than anything NXT has produced so far, so where is his credit? He mentioned Lana as an NXT person, but did not mention Rusev. And how about Neville and Zayn? Granted, they haven't been called up to the main roster yet, but they very obviously are being groomed as the next stars. Were Neville and Zayn in FCW before it became NXT? Not to mention this new crop of Itami, Balor, Owens, Corbin, Kalisto, etc. Obviously a lot of sour grapes there and really stood out as some bitter comments.

Just now listening to the Dr. Tom episode and he's opening by talking about how NXT hasn't really generated any new stars and everybody who's been called up so far have really been FCW guys, like Ambrose, Rollins, and Wyatt, so really FCW was way better and what he did way better than anything NXT has produced so far, so where is his credit? He mentioned Lana as an NXT person, but did not mention Rusev. And how about Neville and Zayn? Granted, they haven't been called up to the main roster yet, but they very obviously are being groomed as the next stars. Were Neville and Zayn in FCW before it became NXT? Not to mention this new crop of Itami, Balor, Owens, Corbin, Kalisto, etc. Obviously a lot of sour grapes there and really stood out as some bitter comments.

He's totally full of shit.  Daniel Bryan was an NXT guy who spent about five seconds in FCW.  Bryan was already a ten-year veteran at that point, and pretty much wrestled the same way once he debuted on WWE TV, so clearly Dr. Tom didn't teach him a damn thing.  Ditto for Cesaro and Luke Harper.  

Where else would they come from?  WWE pretty much refuses to ever debut anyone on TV without first sentencing them to months or years in developmental purgatory.  And FCW doesn't exist anymore; why the hell would they want to spend any effort in hyping up a dead company?  NXT is what they've currently got, it would be bad marketing and name recognition to give credit anywhere else for producing their new stars.  And half those "developmental guys" were already seasoned veterans who spent more time on the indies than they did in FCW; how's it fair to claim they're developmental products in the first place?  And finally, of course NXT (as a promotion, not the TV show) hasn't produced many new big stars; it's only been around for two years, and the WWE is notorious with keeping their young prospects in developmental for at least that long.  Only incredibly rare exceptions like Bryan or Punk manage to get out of developmental jail in less than a year.