DVDVR Message Board

Art of Wrestling with Colt Cabana v2.0

Rev Ray

They talk mostly about his time in Japan and his very early career in AWA and Otto Vanz and don't really touch much on his time in WCW and WWF. So if you're curious on how his contract was bought out from AWA so he could go to Japan and things like that, there ya go

Agreed. This was really the only sort of "insider" stuff that might be interesting. Plus, he isn't much of a conversationalist (they touch on that a tad, too) so it's not a must-listen episode by any means. 

That Buddy Landell interview was something else.  Southern rasslers from his era aren't the most politically correct bunch.  

The mid-80s NWA was before my time but the whole scene always seems like something that existed decades before it actually did.  I was surprised that Landell is only in his early 50s.

• 2 weeks later...

I just listened to the newest one with Flash Flanagan. Pretty interesting guy, but when he said how much he admired Punk, you could almost hear Colt cumming in his pants. I know he's the guy's best friend and all, but damn, his sycophancy is pretty disturbing.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have an idea who the other "big man" (along with Tarver) was that was tossing around Gregory Irons in the battle royal, which lead to Irons' concussion story a few years back? Tarver doesn't mention him by name and I can't trace it back. Jason Bane? Tommy Mercer?

I ask only because I'm locally in Cleveland and have been around that scene for awhile. (And I like gossip). 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a big fan of live podcasts in general, but I think Colt has struck gold with the last couple he's done with random hodgepodges of guys that tell funny 10-15 minute anecdotes.  Indy guy Biff Busick stole the show on the last one with his story of walking in on Jericho in a toilet stall.

After listening to the Flash Flanigan podcast, I had to see the missed table spot from his match with Ricky Banderas. The match is on YouTube. After viewing it, I vaguely remember watching it during my tape trading days.

The entire match is good, but if you want to see the missed table spot jump ahead to 15:20. It's brutal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

listened to the Kevin Sullivan episode.

I thought the "government should do something about lies on the internet" thing was gonna be about the ultra-fringe nuts that post stuff about Sullivan and Benoit. Instead, it was some point that didn't make any sense involving Mick Dodge.

The stuff about the Varsity Club being a subtle "Cult leader manipulating college athletes" thing is.. yeah.

Sullivan also looks more evil as a bearded old man. Like he's more likely to murder you and then go off to visit his grandchildren.

• 1 month later...

I know it's been a month since the last post here, but Colt has a 5 year special podcast up.  It has an unaired clip with Kevin Steen (Owens) and it was quite a listen.  It's pretty much Kevin in 2012 wondering if this wrestling thing is worth it and he was in a very dark time in his life.  It's kind of sad to hear, yet it's also wonderful to hear and think that now he doesn't have to worry.  I don't hear all of Colt's episodes anymore, but this one was worth checking out.

• Like 1

It sounds like the full podcast from his Premium set that he released a few years ago, and if so, it's an amazing listen.  He basically was about to give up and get a real job because he was having to kill himself on the indies to support a family that he rarely saw.

I remember listening to that.  It was a rough one, with Steen discussing his son who is somewhere on the Autism spectrum and also talking about how he knew what he needed to do to get to WWE (get in better shape) but wasn't even sure if it was worth it.  As a huge fan of the guy, I'm really happy to see it working out for him.

• Like 1