DVDVR Message Board

Art of Wrestling with Colt Cabana v2.0

Rev Ray

When I saw Cena in that footlocker commercial, I was thinking about why WWE it would increase brand awareness for Cena to have a shoe deal with Nike or Reebok or what ever. I mean Slim Jim reaches out to Punk and they say no how about 3 people that are even feature as main talent.

say what you want about Punk not being Cena or a as big a draw but something has to be said about outside media wanting do to business with him and not the guys they hand pick. Its BS about them wanting the next Rock or Austin because if a certain guy doesn't like you you cut off at the knees

Bryan hung out with the world Series Champions and it got no mention on WWE tv. Its crazy that the so called indie guy seem to get more outside press that there hand picked guys                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

Done. Now why can a commissioned retail salesman figure these things out and the preeminent wrestling company can't?

Because the preeminent wrestling company doesn't give a shit about what a commissioned retail salesman thinks as long as you remain a profit center for them.

They barely give a shit about what their workersindependent contractors think, (and unless your name is John Cena, it's not a full shit.)

If having Punk on the house shows in January/February means more tickets sold, then fuck him, he's working January/February, just like he would all the other months.

And if he says no, then he's hard to work with, then he doesn't care about the boys, then he's a prima donna, then yadda yadda.

And that's Punk. If it's Kofi, then blahblah best of luck future endeavors etc.

I don't give a shit if they give a shit what I think. Hell, I don't give a shit at all. But they're a publicly held company; they have a responsibility to do (pardon this phrase) what's best for business. And business would be better with the #2 merch guy in the fold. Business would be better with Daniel Bryan's body not ground to a pulp in his early 30s. They need to see the forest instead of the trees. 

Additionally I just cancelled the network, so I'm not a profit center for them. If they'd hurried up with the later Nitros and if the stuffing instead of the potatoes wasn't so blah, maybe I would be.

My new favorite internet conspiracy has popped up: because Punk didn't mention Stephanie one time in the podcast, they're obviously sleeping with each other.

God bless the Internet.

Well... it would explain why HHH never liked him...

...and CM Punk does idolize Randy Savage...

I'll be the first to admit that I don't understand what being straight edge is. I don't do drugs and I barely drink these days. If I stop drinking altogether does that make me straight edge? Also, I've seen that in some circles being straight edge apparently means no premarital sex but obviously Punk's circle of straight edgers don't have that same belief.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't understand what being straight edge is. I don't do drugs and I barely drink these days. If I stop drinking altogether does that make me straight edge? Also, I've seen that in some circles being straight edge apparently means no premarital sex but obviously Punk's circle of straight edgers don't have that same belief.

Our GTA friend Austin from North Carolina told us he was straight edge. And two minutes later, he told us he was on a Seaweed diet.

If he sees weed, he smokes it.

Did I mention he's from North Carolina? Oh, and he was 15 at the time.

It's not pre-marital sex that anti-sex Straight Edgers dislike (except the Religious ones), it's casual sex, outside of a committed relationship. And even then, lots of straight edgers kind of decide to not bother with that bit. The whole "It's about not putting bad things into my body, rather than not putting bits of my body into other people's bodies (or vice versa)".

Straight edge is a vestige of 80's-90's hardcore culture, and as such, is more a scene than a set of principals. Yes, those within said scene are united by those principles to a certain extent, but the specifics are lacking. Casual sex, veg*n diets, caffeine, etc., have all been points of contention. Mostly, you're straight edge if you say you are. Plenty of people - I include myself in this - don't drink or smoke, but would never identify as straight edge. 

• Like 2

I grew up listening to Minor Threat and bands of that ilk and went to a lot of awful sXe hardcore shows as a kid. Then there was the next extreme, which was the vegan animal rights stuff like Earth Crisis. That's when it got really ridiculous. And what was really always odd to me was that the most violent, insane shows I went to were filled with vegans. And then there's an even FURTHER extreme of hardcore bands who are also Hare Krishnas -- Youth of Today, Sheltered, etc. That was nuts.

I had a bunch of friends who were super into sXe stuff in high school and early college. They usually went vegan, too. A few even got sXe tattoos. They all ended up breaking the edge at some point and became the craziest binge drinkers out of everyone. Some stuck with veganism.

I stopped drinking pretty much 10 years ago, but have never been dogmatic about it. I was also never into drugs. I think anyone who calls themselves straightedge after a certain age is really lame -- I'm an adult now, and I'm not into labels anymore.

HOWEVER, I think it's great Punk does talk about being straightedge and what it means to him. I believe he comes from a family with a bad history of alcoholism and drug abuse? I also have a few friends who have those familial issues and need some sort of "greater purpose" to get through not drinking. If labeling yourself straightedge gives you the ability to stay sober, who am I to judge?

I also think Punk might be the most visible public figure to come from the straightedge hardcore scene. Wrestling has a lot of younger fans, obviously. Seeing an edgy dude who says whatever the hell he wants but doesn't drink or do drugs can make for a really good role model.

That said, heel Straight Edge Society Punk is my favorite version of the character. I loved him name dropping bands slyly in his promos. Also, every town/city with a punk scene has the really charismatic figure who it more or less revolves around, and a lot of times those people do have this weird sense of power and control over others. Calvin Johnson of Beat Happening/K Records essentially banned onions in Olympia for a few years. Punk's extension of that dude was awesome.

• Like 3

As a Brit (where sXe is much less of a thing, and even then only quite recently and I'm not sure CM Punk wasn't part of that), I do find this subculture bizarrely fascinating - and I just found out about hardliners like Vegan Reich. 

I've had friends into metal though, and I remember years ago telling one about CM Punk "He's straight-edge, and that means he's better than you.....".......let's just say Punk got heel heat.

• Like 1

My new favorite internet conspiracy has popped up: because Punk didn't mention Stephanie one time in the podcast, they're obviously sleeping with each other.

God bless the Internet.

I don't recall Punk mentioning my wife either.  And Randy Savage is one of the few wrestlers she'd recognize.  Should I be worried?

• Like 1