DVDVR Message Board

OCT WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

They really should've turned Nash heel when they turned Shawn face. Razor, Michaels and Bret could've given us some decent matches with Nash.

Or turn Razor heel and put him against Nash in the title picture and you could do Shawn vs Razor in reverse.

Blood isn't the problem. What made HIAC special was the DANGER of it. Kind of like the old scaffold matches, except with more room to work. The problem there is that they're not ever going to top Taker/Foley because that shit was TOO dangerous. Almost nobody not named Mick Foley finishes that match. Any stunt they do to try and top that will seem contrived because it'll HAVE to be.

That's what made Brock vs Taker in 2002 so special.  It felt dangerous and violent without resorting to stunts.  That type of match can be done again and it would feel special. 

That match was a bloodbath though. Even Heyman was bleeding. Without Taker hitting a crazy gushing blade job I don't think the match has the intensity/drama. I mean at one point Taker's blood was dripping into Brock's mouth. We'll never see things like that in WWE again.

Which begs the question, why can't they come up with a viable non-blade job way to get some blood in cage matches/street fights? There has to be something that could look decent and add some drama/intensity without the health risks.

Answer: Potatoes that cause swelling. It's not ideal, but it's also not blood.

I'm not a doctor or anything, but that actually seems more dangerous to me than a simple blade job.

Plus, it would sort of draw attention to the fact that guys aren't all swollen up after every single match even though hundreds of "punches" have been thrown. It's one of those things that sounds cool in theory, but kills everything else that isn't in that match. It's like that old thing about worked-shoot promos "Everything you've just seen, and are about to see, is fake. But THIS is real"

• Like 1

I'm sorry, as this has been killed here, but I want blood. When it makes sense...when your head is bashed into a cage in a feud, when someone pounds your head repeatedly in a corner or on the mat. It's like when they show injuries in a movie, everyone knows it's fiction, but it enhances the experience. I'm not asking for Abdullah nightly bladings, just a little color for the visual.

• Like 1

Would it seriously hurt them to make an exception just for one PPV a year, or just even one specific match every once in awhile? They've already let Lesnar go hardway on Cena, and he busted himself open live on Raw. That's twice as dangerous as someone using a little piece of razor during a PPV grudge match that they can go black and white on for replays, and it's not something they might have to hide during a live shoot on USA where PG is their biggest issue.

they should just hold Orton/Cena and Ambrose/Rollins simultaneously. But with the rule that only Orton/Cena can pin each other and only Ambrose/Rollins can pin each other, but both sides can fight each other, and the first pinfall wins the combined match

Wow, I feel like I've gone back to the late 90s.

I fully and completely understand why blading is banned (both corporate and health reasons are valid) and I certainly think the way TNA tried to capitalize on the lack of blood by having multiple blade jobs every week is stupid, but, man alive do I wish we could get blood two or three times a year.  EC, HIAC, and maybe one big grudge match.  Make it special, keep it rare, never pressure anyone into doing it, keep up on health screenings, only on PPV... 

That legendary Austin blade job is so legendary in large part because you could count on one hand the number of times WWF had blood in the last 5 or so years.  It was stunning (no pun intended) and it worked.

Man, Sheamus's babyface main event run desperately needed him to bleed once, as a side note.

they should just hold Orton/Cena and Ambrose/Rollins simultaneously. But with the rule that only Orton/Cena can pin each other and only Ambrose/Rollins can pin each other, but both sides can fight each other, and the first pinfall wins the combined match

Wow, I feel like I've gone back to the late 90s.

Judy Bagwell on a pole as well?

Ironic considering her son's new career.

Well if you haven't read Jericho's new book yet, let's just say he makes it sound like your odds of seeing blood again are slim and none

Vince has always hated blood in matches. I was amazed he let it happen for so long during the Attitude era and beyond.

In other news, Noble and Mercury now have a Twitter account.

I'd watch that. I'd hate myself, but I'd watch that...

Well if you haven't read Jericho's new book yet, let's just say he makes it sound like your odds of seeing blood again are slim and none

Vince has always hated blood in matches. I was amazed he let it happen for so long during the Attitude era and beyond.

Which is funny because didn't he end up blading like, 2-3 times in matches? Although that Gowen chairshot seemed to be legit. Everything else though.

In other news, Noble and Mercury now have a Twitter account.

Can I ask a source on Vince always hated blood comment? Would like to read more as I've never seen that (to my recollection) in the Torch or Observer.

Which is funny because didn't he end up blading like, 2-3 times in matches? Although that Gowen chairshot seemed to be legit. Everything else though.

Vince bladed vs. Austin in the cage match, vs Taker, vs Flair, vs Hogan, vs Triple H when he won the title. I'm sure there are others.

So he couldn't have hated it that much cause I'm sure nobody was forcing him to blade.