DVDVR Message Board

OCT WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

The whole idea of an evil heel owner makes no sense anyway. With Austin and Vince it made sense, it was new and fresh, Austin was a thorn in McMahon's side but sold shirts so Vince just wanted to get the title off of him and it escalated from there. With Bischoff he was leading a new wave of wrestlers that he thought would increase business and he had all these face management types like JJ Dillon in his way, holding down the business.

Why the fuck does Triple H not like John Cena? He sells shirts, earns his championships, never bashes the company, provides a perfect role model for the media, and yet he wants Randy Orton, a douchey underwear model who kicks people's patents in the head to hold the title? Or Lesnar, a guy who turned his back on the company and did a bunch of controversial stuff in mma who refuses to do any media? Why the fuck doesn't Triple H like John Cena!?!

In theory, the reason for HHH to not like Cena comes from how the real Authority angle's weakness is it's not really "evil owner vs. heroic employee" as much as it seems to be "evil owners who have the power vs. THE FANS"- which the Authority don't exactly deny is the point of the whole thing. From there, that gives all the reason HHH would have to not like John Cena- the fans LIKE him, and so Triple H will hate him just so the fans don't get to be happy. It's no different than, on the opposite side, John Cena being good friends with and respecting Michael Cole for years, but the second fans hated Cole he's more than happy to turn on him, beat the crap out of him, and pour barbecue sauce all over him, just because the fans hate him and he'll turn his back on a friend for their applause.

...or maybe WWE has really poor writing and I'm overthinking it. Eh, whatever.

Well it started with The authority trying to explain to the fans that Daniel Bryan wasn't up to snuff(?). That he'd bea horrible champion and, they were kind of right, but the damage from months of them just trolling the fans and now the snowball just keeps going down the mountain for no reason. It's like, yeah, they just don't like babyfaces. No rhyme or reason. I mean fuck, they'd rather see the title on goddamn Kane!

It needs to end though.

I haven't been convinced yet. I still want blood, it's a tradition and has been done by the biggest stars. Wrestling is simulated fighting, where people bleed. We are talking about guys that continue to take copious amounts of steroids and painkillers without a thought of future consequences. A little nick on the forehead should be the least of their worries to make me happy.

• Like 1

Lord of Light, we're back to the Daniel Bryan was a horrible champion because he got injured talking point again?

So *every* champion that got hurt during their reigns are horrible, right?

EDIT:

I haven't been convinced yet. I still want blood, it's a tradition and has been done by the biggest stars. Wrestling is simulated fighting, where people bleed. We are talking about guys that continue to take copious amounts of steroids and painkillers without a thought of future consequences. A little nick on the forehead should be the least of their worries to make me happy.

You might be an example as to why the Attitude Era was a horrible thing.
  • Like 2

The whole idea of an evil heel owner makes no sense anyway. With Austin and Vince it made sense, it was new and fresh, Austin was a thorn in McMahon's side but sold shirts so Vince just wanted to get the title off of him and it escalated from there. With Bischoff he was leading a new wave of wrestlers that he thought would increase business and he had all these face management types like JJ Dillon in his way, holding down the business.

Why the fuck does Triple H not like John Cena? He sells shirts, earns his championships, never bashes the company, provides a perfect role model for the media, and yet he wants Randy Orton, a douchey underwear model who kicks people's patents in the head to hold the title? Or Lesnar, a guy who turned his back on the company and did a bunch of controversial stuff in mma who refuses to do any media? Why the fuck doesn't Triple H like John Cena!?!

In theory, the reason for HHH to not like Cena comes from how the real Authority angle's weakness is it's not really "evil owner vs. heroic employee" as much as it seems to be "evil owners who have the power vs. THE FANS"- which the Authority don't exactly deny is the point of the whole thing. From there, that gives all the reason HHH would have to not like John Cena- the fans LIKE him, and so Triple H will hate him just so the fans don't get to be happy. It's no different than, on the opposite side, John Cena being good friends with and respecting Michael Cole for years, but the second fans hated Cole he's more than happy to turn on him, beat the crap out of him, and pour barbecue sauce all over him, just because the fans hate him and he'll turn his back on a friend for their applause.

...or maybe WWE has really poor writing and I'm overthinking it. Eh, whatever.

WWE does have really poor writing and you are overthinking it.
  • Like 1

Lord of Light, we're back to the Daniel Bryan was a horrible champion because he got injured talking point again?

So *every* champion that got hurt during their reigns are horrible, right?

EDIT:

You might be an example as to why the Attitude Era was a horrible thing.

Dude I'm just talking about the storyline that jump started the entire Authority angle. I love Bryan. I was chanting Yes all the way through May. I'm just trying to figure out what is motivating Triple H now that the Daniel Bryan story thread has been closed.

That's such a bullshit point, even from a storyline prespective. Its totally ignoring any other champion that ever got injured during a reign.

They were trying to protect the fans from what they knew from experience. It all factors in FROM A STORYLINE PERSPECTIVE and not our little IWC smarky indy rankingZ perspective.

The Authority was constantly saying that Daniel Bryan couldn't cut it as champion...and real life proved them right since he went down with an injury after a few months.

I like Bryan more than the class of 2nd tier ROH guys on top...but you are correct. Expectation of the top guy is that you are a workhorse and stay healthy. The NWA would only put the strap on guys that were considered reliable and durable.

I was going to say...it feels like half of Shawn Michaels WWE Title reigns ended with him vacating the belt for whatever reason, none of which was a completely jacked neck.

I WASN'T COMPARING THEM! I'm just trying to figure out what the story motivation is for the Authority to want to screw the fans. It started off as him wanting to protect the fans but is degenerated into him just trolling the Internet.

And there's a whole botchamania about all the times Michaels vacated a title.

I work for a Fortune 100 corporation. When you work for a corporation, or most business I would say, you will have your idea of what is right, while management and higher has their idea of what is best for business. "Best for business" clearly strikes at the current climate and culture in this country. Everyone has an idea of what is good or right, but few are in position to employ those things because management also has their idea of what is good or right. This especially works with social media when people can gather together in even easier ways to bitch about how they know what's right, but management just doesn't see it that way.

A 10 hour a day, 4 day work week with 3 day weekends is great! Think of how much would get done! Think of how much better morale would be! YES! Think of the time you would get at home, with family, etc. YES! Oh, and while we're at it, everyone pretty much agrees that using hundreds of metrics to rate one's performance is not an ideal way because of the many variables that are not tracked, so we need to revamp the system of reviewing an employees performance and value and this is an ideal way to do it. YES! And, lets get a billiards table in the break room. YES!

Management and corporate says you're out of your fucking mind and get back to work. They know what works, and you don't, and that's why they're up there, and you're down here. They know what is best for business, regardless of what you can prove to them.

Well, I would say that if you somehow lose your fucking smile, you probably are pretty useless as a champion.

Jesus Christ.

I don't remember Jesus Christ losing his smile. I think he only needed three days of rehab and he was back doing house shows.

• Like 10

I work for a Fortune 100 corporation. When you work for a corporation, or most business I would say, you will have your idea of what is right, while management and higher has their idea of what is best for business. "Best for business" clearly strikes at the current climate and culture in this country. Everyone has an idea of what is good or right, but few are in position to employ those things because management also has their idea of what is good or right. This especially works with social media when people can gather together in even easier ways to bitch about how they know what's right, but management just doesn't see it that way.

A 10 hour a day, 4 day work week with 3 day weekends is great! Think of how much would get done! Think of how much better morale would be! YES! Think of the time you would get at home, with family, etc. YES! Oh, and while we're at it, everyone pretty much agrees that using hundreds of metrics to rate one's performance is not an ideal way because of the many variables that are not tracked, so we need to revamp the system of reviewing an employees performance and value and this is an ideal way to do it. YES! And, lets get a billiards table in the break room. YES!

Management and corporate says you're out of your fucking mind and get back to work. They know what works, and you don't, and that's why they're up there, and you're down here. They know what is best for business, regardless of what you can prove to them.

So how does that make Lesnar a better representation of the company (in storyline) than John Cena?

I said, and I quote: