DVDVR Message Board

Controversial movie/TV opinions

Reed

Fuck Saved by the Bell.

Also Boy Meets World.

I agree, but I'm sure it's only because I'm old.  I was in 8th grade when Saved by the Bell started, I was aging out of the typical Saturday morning cartoons of the time, and I said to myself (unconsciously, no doubt) that if you're producing a live-action Saturday morning show and your last name isn't Krofft, then your show just is not worth watching.

Boy Meets World started well into my high school years, so as godawful as I think it was, I'm fully aware it wasn't geared toward me.  William Daniels will always be Dr. Craig from St. Elsewhere to me, anyway.

Saved by Bell was pretty cheesy...but I thought that was part of its charm. I don't think you're supposed to take a show with a money-obsessed time-stopping sociopath who will whore out his female friends as the lead that seriously.

Tim Burton has made one good film: Ed Wood (which is actually great). Everything else is horrible. Pee Wee's Big Adventure is only enjoyable because it's Pee Wee Herman. Uwe Boll could have directed it and it would still be the same movie.

More American Graffiti is better than American Graffiti.

Tim Burton has made one good film: Ed Wood (which is actually great). Everything else is horrible. Pee Wee's Big Adventure is only enjoyable because it's Pee Wee Herman. Uwe Boll could have directed it and it would still be the same movie.

Not a fan of Big Fish or Beetlejuice?

Not a fan of Big Fish or Beetlejuice?

Yeah, I was gonna say I mostly agree with this. But I love Big Fish.

- Wes Craven's New Nightmare is one of the best horror films ever made.

I'm 100% with you on New Nightmare. I consider if the best of the series.

Friends sucks and Married..with Children is by far a better sitcom. Fresh Prince is much better also.

Friends is one of my least favorite shows ever, and I have seen every episode (ex wife was a huge fan). A bunch of unlikeable dicks. 

I'll see your Community and raise you 30 Rock. I really don't get why that show was so loved. Any time I tried to watch it, it was shit. Just complete shit.

I would give 30 Rock a chance if Tracy Morgan wasn't on it. That guy is one of my least favorite comedians working today.

While watching Silver Linings Playbook all I can do is be reminded of how great Deniro can be when he is motivated. Controversial? Prolly not.

The 5 minutes or so he was on screen in American Hustle was the best performance in that movie (and there were a lot of good performances in it)

The 2nd Ghost Rider is one of the ugliest movies I've ever seen.

I liked it a lot more than the first one. If nothing else, I was happy to see Christopher Lambert back on the big screen again. What's the last movie he did that got a wide theatrical release in the USA before that? Mortal Kombat?

I liked it a lot more than the first one. If nothing else, I was happy to see Christopher Lambert back on the big screen again. What's the last movie he did that got a wide theatrical release in the USA before that? Mortal Kombat?

Fuckin' Southland Tales, which was a HUGE piece of shit.  It had an unbelievable dream cast with a few neat performances and a few interesting moments and ideas, but was mostly one big inexcusable waste of endless potential.  

• Like 1

Boba Fett sucks. 

And before anyone starts throwing the extended universe at me, the fanboy love of Boba Fett started, for whatever reason, with Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.....in which he does nothing. 

Stand around with other bounty hunters.

"Captures" Solo a/k/a Darth Vader uses him as a guinea pig and when he's done says "OK, Bobes, you can have my sloppy seconds now." 

Stands around Jabba's palace. 

Has a wacky slapstick accident off of Jabba's barge, does a Wilhelm scream, and falls into the Sarlaac Pit. 

Boba Fett sucks. 

The best thing Lucas has done for the Star Wars franchise since "Jedi" wrapped was selling the whole shebang to Disney. He can be awesome again now.

I would amend it only by replacing "Jedi" with letting someone else write and direct "Empire". . .

Tim Burton's Batman is really not very good at all.  It was good for 1989 when I was 14 and there were no comic book movies to compare it to, but today it's just embarrassing.  It was considered "more serious and dark" back then because we were stupid.  Watch it today and you'll see it's one (very short) step up from Adam West. 

Not sure why you have to say "captures" w/ quotation marks like he didn't have to do anything.  Boba Fett was smart enough to figure out Han's "hide on the Star Destroyer" plan, track the Falcon w/out being detected, and know where he was heading w/ enough time to alert Vader so he could have troops stationed there before the Falcon arrived.  Fett's the one who did all the hard work to deliver Han/Chewie/Leia (and thus Luke) to Vader on a silver platter after the Empire themselves had been continuously striking out.

Overrated by fans?  Sure.  But did nothing?  Not so sure.

Boba Fett sucks. 

And before anyone starts throwing the extended universe at me, the fanboy love of Boba Fett started, for whatever reason, with Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.....in which he does nothing. 

Stand around with other bounty hunters.

"Captures" Solo a/k/a Darth Vader uses him as a guinea pig and when he's done says "OK, Bobes, you can have my sloppy seconds now." 

Stands around Jabba's palace. 

Has a wacky slapstick accident off of Jabba's barge, does a Wilhelm scream, and falls into the Sarlaac Pit. 

Boba Fett sucks. 

Anyone throws EU* shit about Boba Fett being awesome, I point out how much of a Marty Sue Fett is because that fucking hack Traviss has a Mando fetish.  Fett books suck.

*EU don't mean shit anymore either, thanks to fucking JJ.  Although removing Boba Cena might be an even trade off..

Tim Burton's Batman is really not very good at all.  It was good for 1989 when I was 14 and there were no comic book movies to compare it to, but today it's just embarrassing.  It was considered "more serious and dark" back then because we were stupid.  Watch it today and you'll see it's one (very short) step up from Adam West. 

Ding ding ding.  I remember walking out of the theater in '89 going "Really?  THAT was what everyone talked up so much?"  I thought it was very, very mediocre - at best.

This may not count, but it's on my mind because I read about it when the new movie came out.

I loved the second Ninja Turtles movie as much as the first. I'm not saying it's better, because nothing beats the first one, but I was surprised to find out it was generally shit on.

As an adult, I see that the complaints are very valid (too goofy, toned down violence), but I guess I was just the right age for it at the time.

Fuckin' Southland Tales, which was a HUGE piece of shit. It had an unbelievable dream cast with a few neat performances and a few interesting moments and ideas, but was mostly one big inexcusable waste of endless potential.

I'll thank Jingus for the segue, but my controversial opinion is that Southland Tales, while a huge mess, is one of the most entertaining movies I've ever seen. Every scene, whether good or terrible, keeps me watching. It's like every freshman film student ever got together and was told to just explore and go nuts. I want to hate it because it's so inane and mind numbingly stupid, but it's so earnest that I can't help but live it.

It's a movie that I'm legitimately surprised hasn't gotten more of a cult following in recent years, at least amongst irony loving film hipsters. I think it's probably more deserving of praise than Donnie Darko.