DVDVR Message Board

Controversial movie/TV opinions

Reed

I don't know about The Wire being bad...but it's definitely the second-best police show set in Baltimore made by David Simon...

Homicide never really gets its due for how great it was...and Luther Mahoney really never gets his due when people talk about all-time great TV villains...

It's a shame the show fell down a well after this...

• Like 1

One knock against The Wire is that people usually don't want to be reminded of how horrible the actual real world can be. I mean, Breaking Bad and The Sopranos are dark and all, but at the back of your mind, it's still kinda fun. A middle-aged chemistry teacher going nuts and dealing in drugs, a crime family where the mom tries to murder her son, etc. They're not actual things that usually happen or are pressing problems in America, unlike The Wire which makes it clear how awful things are. It might be the reason it never did too well when it was airing on television.

I guess it's the art vs. escapism question.

I vote we douse Fowler's opinions in lime and board them up in a vacant building. WHO'S WITH ME?

Fowler cheers for the Lions and Michigan football.  That's punishment enough.

Hush you.

NO. Tabe worked through his problems with the early episodes and watched the whole series, ultimately giving it a 7 out of 10. Naturally. That's what inspired my "On a scale of 7 to 7..." quip which Piranesi promptly bastardized into the Tabedoza line and has shamelessly exploited ever since.

It was a board landmark moment. A meme was born.

• Like 1

I loathe Community.  I think it may be the least funny "highly praised" show in the past 20 years.  I think I've seen every episode (wife is a huge fan) and I don't think I laughed once at anything not the GI Joe parody episode.  I;m not exaggerating.  I think the show was mind-numbingly unfunny to the point that I wonder about it's fans (that includes the wife).  I basically regard Dan Harmon as a PT Barnum type who is able to sucker the rubes into thinking his stuff is funny and talented.

NO. Tabe worked through his problems with the early episodes and watched the whole series, ultimately giving it a 7 out of 10. Naturally. That's what inspired my "On a scale of 7 to 7..." quip which Piranesi promptly bastardized into the Tabedoza line and has shamelessly exploited ever since.

It's a meter, not a line.  This isn't baseball.  It's ethics!

I loathe Community.  I think it may be the least funny "highly praised" show in the past 20 years.  I think I've seen every episode (wife is a huge fan) and I don't think I laughed once at anything not the GI Joe parody episode.  I;m not exaggerating.  I think the show was mind-numbingly unfunny to the point that I wonder about it's fans (that includes the wife).  I basically regard Dan Harmon as a PT Barnum type who is able to sucker the rubes into thinking his stuff is funny and talented.

I pretty much feel this way about anything comedy on NBC post-Seinfeld...

I'll see your Community and raise you 30 Rock. I really don't get why that show was so loved. Any time I tried to watch it, it was shit. Just complete shit.

Oh, and a callback to some months prior, but Terminator 3 is great. It's nearly as good as Terminator 2. As far as the series goes, it's the second best Terminator. It had a really ballsy finish at a time where directors and writers were weary of giving audiences something other than a Hollywood ending. I also really dug the realization that you can't stop the future from occurring, at best, you can only delay the inevitable. Good action sequences and I felt that the humor worked as well.

• Like 1

Just to qualify my glib one sentence damnation of The Wire - I watched the first two seasons and got halfway through the third before I tapped out. I've watched the first season about three times as I had to study it on a scriptwriting module I did at uni

Hey hey, the Tabedoza Line was my creation.  Piranesi did the meme but "Tabedoza" is all me, baby.  With a nod to Chris Berman, Tom Paciorek, and Bruce Bochte, of course.

And, yeah, I came around on The Shield.  It recovered from its laughably bad start to become pretty good.  But man...that start...

Oh, and a callback to some months prior, but Terminator 3 is great. It's nearly as good as Terminator 2. As far as the series goes, it's the second best Terminator.

I'm mostly with you on T3.  It's not anywhere near as good as T2 but it's very good and definitely the second best in the series.

It's easily behind The Terminator (the perfect blend of sci-fi action and slasher films), T2, and T:TSCC.

Not sure where I'd go between it and Salvation though, they were both fairly awful.

It's better than Terminator Salvation: Machima at least.

But it has one great action sequence (and no doubt, the car chase is flat out incredible film-making), absolutely no heart, and some of the least funny "comedy" ever put on screen.

I'll see your Community and raise you 30 Rock. I really don't get why that show was so loved. Any time I tried to watch it, it was shit. Just complete shit.

Oh, and a callback to some months prior, but Terminator 3 is great. It's nearly as good as Terminator 2. As far as the series goes, it's the second best Terminator. It had a really ballsy finish at a time where directors and writers were weary of giving audiences something other than a Hollywood ending. I also really dug the realization that you can't stop the future from occurring, at best, you can only delay the inevitable. Good action sequences and I felt that the humor worked as well.

Damn straight.  I'll go one better and say Terminator 4 gets way more shit than it deserves and is a passable-to-good entry in the series.  People were too wrapped up in T2 nostalgia to give it a chance.  But god damn that movie had some excellent callbacks to earlier films in the series and if you didn't like the CG Young Arnold cameo you can fuck right off.

Sam Worthington's coming and going Aussie accent is a little rough, though.

I don't think Joss Whedon necessarily writes the great female characters like everyone else says he does. Giving a hot young woman kung fu skills and a gun doesn't magically make her "a strong character." This isn't exactly Jenji Kojan and Orange in the New Black-levels of female diversity and representation here.