DVDVR Message Board

NXT SEASON 8 THREAD

RIPPA

Really fun show. Becky-Banks was damn near perfect for what it needed to be. Mojo is doomed. Titus-Zayn was Titus's best match to date, and the new Vaudevillians theme is very much like Regal's Darth Vader-ish theme - I love how sinister it sounds.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2014/10/wwe-nxt-10-9-14.html

Screens
3604f4356697001.jpg

727913356697075.jpg

aaa4f4356697076.jpg

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/os3awvzg4mklakt2ulknzn6mmy0w3r9r

Cass made me laugh out loud with that "More like Hey! Arnold" crack. That was great. Honestly, I don't even care if Enzo and Cass are not that great in the ring because their chemistry together is awesome. They actually had a pretty fun match with the Villains, however. I guess this taping was one of the later ones in the session because everyone was pretty much dead until Enzo and Cass's music hit.

I want Sasha Banks, Becky Lynch, Charlotte, and Bayley to be the focus of the WWE Women's Championship for the next six or eight years at least. We just need a monster and maybe a really great Joshi wrestler to come over and complete what would end up going down as the best roster of women in U.S. wrestling in a long time. It's too bad Kharma/Kong didn't work out. 

Everything else on this show was solid, too.  Tyler Breeze seems to be getting more comfortable each week with playing a self-absorbed douche. Loved the finish in Zayn/O'Neal. Zayn is awesome at selling getting killed in a bearhug, Titus is awesome at blaming dudes yelling at him in the front row for what he was about to do to Zayn's throat.

• Like 1

I want Sasha Banks, Becky Lynch, Charlotte, and Bayley to be the focus of the WWE Women's Championship for the next six or eight years at least. We just need a monster and maybe a really great Joshi wrestler to come over and complete what would end up going down as the best roster of women in U.S. wrestling in a long time. It's too bad Kharma/Kong didn't work out. 

Maybe WWE would let Sara Del Rey wrestle on the main roster with them since she is under contract. We can hope!

Was it just me, or did KENTA look really "off" in his match? This show didn't do much for me on the whole, honestly. Titus is kinda terrible.

I chalked it up to Kenta and Viktor being a total cIash of styles. I enjoyed the Vaudevillains match. I love their act. Titus O'Neill seems to have reached his peak in WWE, so I don't like him going over someone that is considered part of the future. I know that Sami will beat O'Neill in the end, but I don't think Titus brings anything to the table. I loved Mojo getting squashed by Tyler Breeze. That's exactly what Mojo should be used for.

As fans, it'll take some getting used to watching Itami go from super-stiff minimal-selling slugfests with Nakajima, Shiosaki, Low Ki, etc to having to bump immediately and lay there for a minute off your typical terrible WWE worked punch and swing at guys who don't want to eat his slaps and kicks at full force 250 days a year.

He's also not exactly getting a lot of help by being paired with The Ascension. Those guys haven't even shown they can be carried to a good WWE match, let alone lead one on their own. They should've kept Tyson Kidd around for Itami's first feud.

• Like 1

Enzo and Cass are this generation's New Age Outlaws, and I really hope WWE doesn't fuck it up because while Enzo's pull the string promo doesn't work for em, the idea of a crowd being so behind an act that they'll do a bit of that is something I want to see again. We haven't really had that since Beer Money.

• Like 1

TYLER BREEZE starts against MOJO RAWLEY. I don't know why, but Tyler just looks and feels like a big deal now. He might have the biggest big league career out of anyone in NXT right now. His gimmick feels like it could translate to a Wrestlemania dome-sized entrance. He knows how to play his character to the back of the room and to the camera. I loved that they gave him a submission, too, and it played off of Tyler attacking Mojo's arm.

ENZO/CASS meet up with WILLIAM REGAL about getting their homegirl a tryout. This act absolutely rules. There's a great chemistry and energy between all three of those characters. I can imagine Regal legit real life loving working with those three. Their in-ring skills are besides the point. Chemistry and charisma and a sense-of-humor and timing go a long ways in a sport where grown men play fight.

The ITAMI vs. ASCENSION recap package was awesome. This match is really good, too. The match is super quiet (it was a six hour long taping or whatever) but these guys are potato-ing the f out of each other. I love the end, with CONOR ragdolling Funaki. Conor is also really laying them into Itami. Funaki crawling to his buddy with one shoe on is great. Hideo with a split lip screaming as he watches his mentor get crushed like that was awesome.

SAMI/TITUS was the best TItus match. That's because Sami's an amazing babyface. This was a really good match but nothing nearly as good as Sami vs. Cesaro. That's because the difference in ability between Cesaro -- another freak of nature in terms of athleticism -- and Titus is really, really wide. I really want to like Titus. I love his look. He has so much charisma and he seems like he has fun out there.. He seems like he wants to be good at professional wrestling. But he's just really missing a lot of little things.

For instance, Sami busted out a sleeper hold on Titus. If that was Cesaro, Cesaro would have really sold having wobbly legs before getting down on a knee. And he probably would have gotten back up and went down on a knee again before powering out. It's not that Titus no-sold the sleeper. He did. But even a little spot like that could have had a bit more drama.

I love his frat dawg thing. It's great. But he should break it out after he cuts off a babyface comeback spot as an "I'm better than you" taunt. Use it to say, "I am a high-level professional athlete. What I was given allowed me to join a fraternity of African-American jock snobs. You do not have these gifts. You will never have these gifts." If he used it as a taunt, he could then call back to it later -- he thinks he just hurt his opponent, does the taunt, but then eats a kick. He just randomly tosses them out there, though. It feels like it's there to fill in blank space as opposed to actually serving a purpose.

The pin fall could have also been sharper. Titus slapping the ropes to crotch Sami before The Clash of the Titus was awesome. That looked so dickish. But then the actual pin itself was awkward. Titus could have just folded him like an accordion. Of he could have done a little taunt -- "You really thought you had a chance against ME?" But instead it was just weird.

Or at the end of the match, when he was blaming the fan for what he was about to do to Sami -- that is awesome. That's great trash talk. But imagine if he said that to the fan on the way to the ring? Like he posed in front of the fan, gave him some heel talk, and then blamed what he was about to do to Sami... and then called back to it post-match when he was about to put Sami away for good.

That's a lot of words really nit-picking Titus. But I really, really want to like that guy. He seriously has the look and charisma to be a gigantic superstar. But the little things just aren't working.

I haven't seen this weeks NXT but Itami had a real good match with CJ Parker of all people at the NXT live event. It was worked WWE style but with lots of kicks.  The show also featured Chad Gable who I think it gonna be a big deal. Reminds me of Angle and has some unique moves.

I'm pretty sure this was the final taping of the night because this crowd looked TIRED. They weren't popping for much of anything outside of a couple of SAWFT lines and Zayn's entrance. 

I'm not sure why Itami got paired with The Ascension. I imagine it's because they want both Ascension and Itami to have something different to work with but not everybody matches up. 

I don't know what people were expecting of Titus and Sami but I liked the match just fine. Great cutoffs from Titus, Sami had some really nice comebacks and they got a dead crowd into it down the stretch. It's the first time where I really got to see Sami as a sympathetic baby face and it was really good. Great finish.

When I watched that match, I thought Kenta got conked on the head at some point. He was having trouble just climbing through the ropes, and generally moving a bit clumsily.

That's what I was thinking. The awkwardness wasn't styles clash, it was KENTA moving around funny.  He definitely looked like someone who got his bell rung.

When I watched that match, I thought Kenta got conked on the head at some point. He was having trouble just climbing through the ropes, and generally moving a bit clumsily.

That's what I was thinking. The awkwardness wasn't styles clash, it was KENTA moving around funny.  He definitely looked like someone who got his bell rung.

Yup, THIS. The ref even checked in with him as he was fumbling his attempt to climb the ropes. He looked like (and I'll have to watch again) he hit his head on the second turnbuckle on the opposite side. He fucked up the low dropkick on "Less Talented Christopher Daniels with Hair" in the corner right after. THEN he tried to get up the ropes.

ENZO/CASS meet up with WILLIAM REGAL about getting their homegirl a tryout. This act absolutely rules. There's a great chemistry and energy between all three of those characters. I can imagine Regal legit real life loving working with those three. Their in-ring skills are besides the point. Chemistry and charisma and a sense-of-humor and timing go a long ways in a sport where grown men play fight.

Regal always saved some of his best commentary jabs for Enzo.  "Overcaffeinated ferret" and "DDP's lovechild" come to mind.

That's what I was thinking. The awkwardness wasn't styles clash, it was KENTA moving around funny. He definitely looked like someone who got his bell rung.

Yup, THIS. The ref even checked in with him as he was fumbling his attempt to climb the ropes. He looked like (and I'll have to watch again) he hit his head on the second turnbuckle on the opposite side. He fucked up the low dropkick on "Less Talented Christopher Daniels with Hair" in the corner right after. THEN he tried to get up the ropes.

Looked like he got hit pretty hard by an elbow coming off the ropes at the beginning of the match, too.

Enzo and Cass changed up on the entrnace promo! My wish has been granted. Enzo can t a w l k so there's absolutely no reason he can't do that do that everytime they show up.

Loved Aiden's mannerism change coming down the ramp to fit the new music. Don't like them wearing the t-shirts. Film a new video with the carnival barker mentioning you can buy them before he introduces them. Makes sense for the gimmick.

I kind of dug Zayn/Titus, but I'll agree with Gregg that Titus is just missing a few key things.