DVDVR Message Board

This Week In NFL Stupidity

hammerva

Will the media please shut the fuck up about this? 

The refs handle the balls before the Patriots use them in the game. I honestly don't see how the Patriots could have committed some egregious cheating. I could imagine MAYBE Belichick prepped the balls in a way that made them more likely to deflate but it just seems like an honest mistake. 

Will the media please shut the fuck up about this?

The refs handle the balls before the Patriots use them in the game. I honestly don't see how the Patriots could have committed some egregious cheating. I could imagine MAYBE Belichick prepped the balls in a way that made them more likely to deflate but it just seems like an honest mistake.

There's over two hours between the refs handing them before the game and the game starting. Lots of time to mess with them.

Quick reminder that Bill Nye is a native of Seattle and veteran of its local comedy scene from way back.

"Bill Nye The Science Guy" spun off from Almost Live! (re-used several skits/bits and even some of the other Almost Live! talent, too)

Right now, all anyone's got on the Patriots is pumping them up to the lower limit and letting Drs. Boyle and Gronkowski do the rest. I think that the only way the NFL are going to be able to prove deliberate wrong doing is if they get some video of Belichick himself knifing the balls.

And even then, they don't have a very track record with security footage.

Here is a theory, and keep in mind that I have not really kept up on this. What was the temperature at Foxboro that day? Perhaps the balls were at the lowest threshold allowed, before the game and as the evening progressed the cooler temps lowered the PSI. Do they keep the balls in a controlled environment? is this a valid thought? 

Here is a theory, and keep in mind that I have not really kept up on this. What was the temperature at Foxboro that day? Perhaps the balls were at the lowest threshold allowed, before the game and as the evening progressed the cooler temps lowered the PSI. Do they keep the balls in a controlled environment? is this a valid thought?

No. The Colts balls were fine in the same environment.

Well, his argument is if the Pats had the footballs at the absolute lowest allowed PSI, while the Colts had them more inflated, in the middle or high end of the range, could they have lost enough pressure that the Pats balls would be under the threshold but the Colts would have stayed in the range.

But I doubt it, personally.  It wasn't that cold, for starters.  Rain, not snow.

@BenVolin:

Richard Sherman on if he expects Pats to be punished: “Not as long as Roger Goodell & Robert Kraft take pictures at their respective homes.”

I really really regret being honor-bound to root against him :P

v5mZHEO.jpg

So they fine you for grabbing your junk while selling a picture of you grabbing your junk stay classy NFL

Not the first time they've done this, either.  One of James Harrison's $50K fines and suspensions for executing a QB (one of the Browns jabronies, might have been Wheeden but I can't even remember anymore) was also being sold as a commemorative still for a couple days before the hypocrisy was so obvious even the NFL.com shop noticed, and pulled it.

It's the basis of their defence. Assuming indoors is 25c, and outside is 45f, I make an 0.75 PSI drop with a quick and dirty application of Boyle's law.