DVDVR Message Board

Breaking Bad Final Season Continues August 11th

Elsalvajeloco

One thing I see people around the net forgetting is that the police forces were stretched thin due to all the Heisenberg rumors. This was also six months or so after the beginning of "Granite State". I have no issue believing that Walt could walk into random places and not be seen..

The scene that opened the episode with Walt getting in the snow covered car was also great. Police sirens blaring, lights flashing, but Walt can't see outside. Just trapped in a world he made, cut off from the world. Deep shit man.

• Like 2

Fuck Lydia.

Yeah man, really, fuck Lydia.

------------

That said, I went back and watched the trailer for Need for Speed, and man, whoever said that looks like whatever Jesse Pinkman would be up to is spot on. I was getting a strong Jesse Pinkman vibe watching the trailer again. Maybe it was due to Jesse's scars in Felina compared to the main character's scars in Need for Speed, or the very haunted and sober tone Aaron Paul spoke with in the trailer, or that the last we see of Jesse is peeling out and driving off in Felina, but whatever it is, it's kinda neat.

Jesse left prints on the handgun Walt used to shoot Uncle Jack. ...?

I thought the deal with the vacuum cleaner guy was that once Saul put in the call to him, all of your public records were erased.  That was why he always made sure people wanted to go through with it.  And Hank never let the DEA know he had Jesse in custody.  So essentially Jesse is under the radar now.

Jesse left prints on the handgun Walt used to shoot Uncle Jack. ...?

And Hank never let the DEA know he had Jesse in custody. So essentially Jesse is under the radar now.
Marie knew. Little doubt she passed that on to the cops.There's also the possibility that Uncle Jack & Co. never got around to destroying the DVD of Jesse's confession. They should have, but you never know. Sick fuck Todd might have wanted to keep it. And you know poor, doting Uncle Jack never could say no to his nephew.

Oddly enough, there was this from today's Meltzer update:

--This isn't wrestling related, but last night's episode of Breaking Bad was downloaded illegally by more than 500,000 people in the first 12 hours after it aired.  Most downloads were in countries where the show was available, with more in Australia than anywhere else.  The U.S. was second.

I subscribe to cable and have been watching the show in real time since the beginning of S2.  I set my DVR to record the finale with the idea that we'd start it half an hour in to fast forward commercials.  Apparently my cable provider thought it would be just hilarious if the AMC HD Channel crapped out during the Breaking Bad finale.  I was freaking out, but fortunately, my favorite torrent provider had the show up about fifteen minutes after it aired, so there ya go. 

Nah, the cops knew he was out of town. They got the phone call in New Hampshire, and while that could've been a hoax, him showing up in a NH plate car would've corroborated that. There likely then would've been security footage of him at Denny's, and then getting into the new car outside (the car that would be found at the crime scene). They would rightly figure that Walt had taken them all out.

The cops already knew he was in town because of the neighbor lady he said 'hi' to, I believe. So then you've got cops running around looking for a New Hampshire license plate... ah, you can only dissect this stuff so much. It's TV. 

I love how, in the Breaking Bad universe, Charlie Rose is indirectly to blame for Lydia's death.

I have had a theory the past few weeks that it wasn't meth that did the most damage to the characters, it was marijuana.

If Jesse didn't light up in Saul's office and refuse to put it out, Huell would have never have had to lift it, Jesse would have never figured out the Walt-Brock connection, and he would have gotten in the van and disappeared to a new life never to be seen again. With Jesse gone and no evidence, Hank would have lived, the Aryans would have never taken the money (and they would have all lived), and Walt would have died with the whole 80 million dollars and his family still together.

But no, Jesse just HAD to smoke...

Eh, Hank wasn't going to stop hunting for Walt, though. That was made clear. He would have found a way to take him down, and that probably would have had destructive consequences too.

Really, Hank should have backed off after Walt's fake confession tape. At that point anyone with a brain would have figured it just wasn't worth it. But Hank's pride wouldn't let him. And the worst thing? Hank's fear ended up happening. Walt never spent a day in jail when all was said and done. The whole crusade was for naught and ended up costing him, Gomez and (indirectly) Andrea their lives.

Hank had as many issues with his ego as Walt did.  

SWEET LORD. The finale pulled in 10 million viewers.That's an amazing number for cable, period, but even moreso when you consider the show rarely pulled in more than 2 million viewers for most of its existence. Behold the power of Netflix, I guess.

The only negative side to that is the show at its absolute most was watched by 6 million people, so roughly about 3-4 million people just ruined the entire experience of Breaking Bad for themselves because they just had to see how a show they had never watched before ended.

Well, live, that's true. Doesn't take VOD, etc into account. Wonder how many people bought episodes on iTunes, Amazon, etc over the previous two months, caught up on DVR, or watched ondemand

I watched the whole series in about ten days.

The binge-watching phenomenon, in general, is amazing.

This I kinda don't get. I mean, I re-watched the whole thing shortly before the final 8 so that by the time I was caught up, I had 5 dvr'd with 3 to go, but I have a hard time imagining that I would have been as emotionally invested if I had plowed through the entire thing like that. You need some time to ruminate and get behind  characters.

I basically was a casual viewer for season 1, watched most of season 2, and made it a few episodes into season three. Basically, I binge watched the first 3 1/2 seasons in a span of a week before "Hermanos". And that's when I was fucking sold.

The key that struck me about the finale was that for the very first time a plan of Walt's totally worked. No loose ends, no unforeseen difficulties, no potential blowback to come. One last plan that came together completely.

I assume Walt was hit by a ricochet.  We don't really see exactly where it entered (from the back or the side) and we don't really know how much damage it did.  It certainly finished him off, and based on the amount of blood we see on his clothing it seemingly did a lot of damage, but I think he died so quickly more because he was about 80% wasted away from the cancer/all the energy expended in his revenge plot.  I think the bullet was just the final nail in the coffin.

Yeah I think it was a ricochet because it had to be adjusted to a certain height. Walt had to get Jesse down to the ground fast enough not to get both of them sprayed. So technically, that was a hitch in the plan because I doubt you can plan to get to hit by one or two bullets in that condition and survive.

The key that struck me about the finale was that for the very first time a plan of Walt's totally worked. No loose ends, no unforeseen difficulties, no potential blowback to come. One last plan that came together completely.

A few thoughts:

- One of the recurring themes of the show is the consequences of half-measures. The finale is Walt making sure he goes full measure on everything.

- Another recurring theme of the final season is comparing Walt to the devil, and in "Felina" he certainly has the devil's luck. Jesse at the end certainly seemed like a man who'd gotten out of a contract with the devil in one piece.

- Finally coming to terms with his pride and villainy allowed Walt to go 100% Heisenberg. The hat-and-shades, Stone Cold-wannabe bald goateed guy, the guy trying to look and sound like a badass, that was never really Heisenberg. The gaunt, disheveled, eerily-calm man from the finale was the real Heisenberg. Sort of like Rorschach before and after the kidnapping case...

Yeah I think it was a ricochet because it had to be adjusted to a certain height. Walt had to get Jesse down to the ground fast enough not to get both of them sprayed. So technically, that was a hitch in the plan because I doubt you can plan to get to hit by one or two bullets in that condition and survive.

Actually, I don't think Walt planned on surviving the shooting. It was only because Jesse was there that he ended up on the floor. I'm inclined to believe that he intended to take himself out along with the Aryans.

• Like 1

Actually, I don't think Walt planned on surviving the shooting. It was only because Jesse was there that he ended up on the floor. I'm inclined to believe that he intended to take himself out along with the Aryans.

I would like to think that Walt thought about at least one of the Aryans surviving. Then, he could go around and finish the deal much like they did to other people. I mean Todd was smart enough to get down.

SWEET LORD. The finale pulled in 10 million viewers.That's an amazing number for cable, period, but even moreso when you consider the show rarely pulled in more than 2 million viewers for most of its existence. Behold the power of Netflix, I guess.

The only negative side to that is the show at its absolute most was watched by 6 million people, so roughly about 3-4 million people just ruined the entire experience of Breaking Bad for themselves because they just had to see how a show they had never watched before ended.

Well, live, that's true. Doesn't take VOD, etc into account. Wonder how many people bought episodes on iTunes, Amazon, etc over the previous two months, caught up on DVR, or watched ondemand

Hell..my mom (a 70 year old woman who can't even work a DVR without calling me for help) did this.  She told me about it the day after the finale and I was SHOCKED.  She learned how to work VOD, netflix streaming, etc and binge watched for the past two months.  If she can do it, I have no doubt there are 4 million (or whatever the number between total viewers and people who watch the show live) others who did.